flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 12, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #21,136 of 39,414
I saw your notes on the VE8, suggesting that it could use a bit more treble...I find the treble on the VE8 to be pretty much perfect and I'm tempted to say the best of anything I've heard. It's fully present and detailed, but not harsh, fatiguing sharp or overdone at all...it's a perfect balance for me. YMMV, and all that. I'm starting to wonder if the Elysium would be a bit too much in that regard.
Well, you are talking about mvv-treblehead-RAZ here. I have seen very few people as treble-hungry as him. Having heard the Galaxy V2, I think him and Sammy should have a conversation at some point. :D

But yeah, from my brief demo of the VE8 I remember feeling that the treble was damn near perfect for my own preferences and I would be cautious about the Elysium. I couldn't deal with the VE6's treble either, especially with the X2.

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #21,137 of 39,414
Well, you are talking about mvv-treblehead-RAZ here. I have seen very few people as treble-hungry as him. Having heard the Galaxy V2, I think him and Sammy should have a conversation at some point. :D

But yeah, from my brief demo of the VE8 I remember feeling that the treble was damn near perfect for my own preferences and I would be cautious about the Elysium. I couldn't deal with the VE6's treble either, especially with the X2.
I keep getting the Galaxy recommended to me, I need to get me one soon..... guess I should pop over to Rhapsodio's webpage

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #21,138 of 39,414
I saw your notes on the VE8, suggesting that it could use a bit more treble...I find the treble on the VE8 to be pretty much perfect and I'm tempted to say the best of anything I've heard. It's fully present and detailed, but not harsh, fatiguing sharp or overdone at all...it's a perfect balance for me. YMMV, and all that. I'm starting to wonder if the Elysium would be a bit too much in that regard.

The ELYSIUM will have more of it - hence the shinier tone and crisper cymbals - but it's just as smooth and refined. In fact, I dare say its low-treble is silkier than the VE8's. But, yeah, the VE8 is a gem indeed, and it's still the one high-end IEM I still wish to purchase one day. :D

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #21,139 of 39,414
I keep getting the Galaxy recommended to me, I need to get me one soon..... guess I should pop over to Rhapsodio's webpage
I am actually really curious what you would think of the Galaxy V2. I understand from Nic that Sammy is a bit of a treble head and the Galaxy V2 combine that with some of the best bass I have heard to date. And while I had surprisingly few problems with the treble, it was always fatiguing for me over time, which was a damn shame because I loved that bass and the V2 were really exciting IEMs.

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #21,140 of 39,414
With raz on this one.

After living with and getting used to the A18t, which has completely bonkers treble, the ve8 is just missing too much up top.

It’s more a tuning then a fault, but yeah, Ve8 may be a no go for the trebliest of treble heads.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #21,141 of 39,414
With raz on this one.

After living with and getting used to the A18t, which has completely bonkers treble, the ve8 is just missing too much up top.

It’s more a tuning then a fault, but yeah, Ve8 may be a no go for the trebliest of treble heads.

I also found the VE8 to be lacking up top for my tastes. The whole presentation to me was just boring, but I obviously think it was a good and highly capable IEM. Just wasn't for my tastes.

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #21,143 of 39,414

My own take is the VE8 upper treble is more natural than the Elysium (at least the demo), there is something "supernatural" about EST upper treble although VE has done the best job I have heard of EST treble in terms of naturalness. The VE8 upper treble is still the pinacle of refinement of any IEM I have heard there is this ability to convey nuances with silky smooth delivery... Elysium feels airier and more resolved... each has its advantages.

I always felt the VE8 could have used a bit more lower treble though, it lacked a bit of energy for me and the Elysium fares better in that respect. As usual sources, preferences will matter here.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #21,144 of 39,414
I always felt the VE8 could have used a bit more lower treble though, it lacked a bit of energy for me

I'm coming from the Anole VX which I found had a touch too much energy in the lower treble and I'm finding the VE8 in comparison to be "just right" for me.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #21,145 of 39,414
too hot...too cold...just right.

pick a bowl!

the a18t treble remains some of the most detailed and energetic i've heard. even the elysium significantly softens things up top in comparison.

if you're sensitive to treble, or just prefer less of it, makes total sense that the ve8 would be your jam.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #21,146 of 39,414
too hot...too cold...just right.

pick a bowl!

the a18t treble remains some of the most detailed and energetic i've heard. even the elysium significantly softens things up top in comparison.

if you're sensitive to treble, or just prefer less of it, makes total sense that the ve8 would be your jam.
Yep! We're all looking for our own personal "Goldilocks" gear and that's where the fun is. :D
ApprehensiveHealthyConey-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #21,148 of 39,414
Demo’ed the VE8 and it does sound a bit too dark for me and missing some treble energy. Elysium on the other hand is just incredible (at least the demo version and I‘m not a treblehead).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back