flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 12, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #21,151 of 39,414
Is there a way to add a second of silence to the beginning of 2000 tracks without affecting file type and quality?

You can do it with a DAW like Logic or Pro Tools. Or, you could make a playlist and literally add a track where it's just a second of silence in-between each track.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #21,152 of 39,414
Demo’ed the VE8 and it does sound a bit too dark for me and missing some treble energy. Elysium on the other hand is just incredible (at least the demo version and I‘m not a treblehead).
I think it also has a lot to do with the specific treble frequency that someone might be sensitive to and how it balances with the bass. I know some people have a problem with the Phantom, which is something I never really notice unless I use a bright source with them. For me the Phantom just have a nice bite to them. I will need to see if I can demo the Elysium at some point, very curious if those work for me or not.

Also, I personally tend to lean towards a darker signature because I get (relatively) easily fatigued due to my higher sensory processing sensitivity. Brightness is not a problem per se, but it needs to be very smooth or I will notice it quite quickly during my listening sessions.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #21,153 of 39,414
With raz on this one.

After living with and getting used to the A18t, which has completely bonkers treble, the ve8 is just missing too much up top.

It’s more a tuning then a fault, but yeah, Ve8 may be a no go for the trebliest of treble heads.
I’m having that experience with the Z1R currently. Not really loving the upper midrange there, but considering how good of a treble it produces I find myself unable to use anything else haha

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #21,154 of 39,414
Also to add to my previous comment, perhaps auditioning it with the Elysium also skewed my perception a bit of the VE8 too, because for me the Elysium stole the show.
Had the same feeling as you when I demo’ed the VE8 and Elysium together. VE8 was great but Elysium definitely stole the show. Bass is not as present as in the VE8 but very refined and the more I listened to it the more I liked it. Treble definitely more energetic. But the mids, the mids were sooo good and seducing !

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #21,155 of 39,414
I think it also has a lot to do with the specific treble frequency that someone might be sensitive to and how it balances with the bass. I know some people have a problem with the Phantom, which is something I never really notice unless I use a bright source with them. For me the Phantom just have a nice bite to them. I will need to see if I can demo the Elysium at some point, very curious if those work for me or not. Also, I personally tend to lean towards a darker signature because I get (relatively) easily fatigued due to my higher sensory processing sensitivity. Brightness is not a problem per se, but it needs to be very smooth or I will notice it quite quickly during my listening sessions.

Very good points, I think an overlooked item is listening volume and favorite genres... I listen at low levels which generally makes it safer for upper mids and treble, we had countless discussions with @lafeuill about this (he listens quite loud :tongue: ). I experimented pushing the volume up and each time I understood what he meant by harshness or hotness I didn't spot at lower levels. Also venturing in genres I usually don't do often helps understand the totally different take we have on sensitive frequencies on a given IEM. Meetups are great for that, checking out what other hear specifically.

Had the same feeling as you when I demo’ed the VE8 and Elysium together. VE8 was great but Elysium definitely stole the show. Bass is not as present as in the VE8 but very refined and the more I listened to it the more I liked it. Treble definitely more energetic. But the mids, the mids were sooo good and seducing !

The mids on the Elysium are one of a kind... unique!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #21,156 of 39,414
You still enjoying the IMR Rah, @davidmolliere ? Took the plunge on the PB One AND the Halcyon (damn you, quarterly bonus!) so just wondering if you were tempted by either too! :wink:

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #21,157 of 39,414
Very good points, I think an overlooked item is listening volume and favorite genres... I listen at low levels which generally makes it safer for upper mids and treble, we had countless discussions with @lafeuill about this (he listens quite loud :tongue: ). I experimented pushing the volume up and each time I understood what he meant by harshness or hotness I didn't spot at lower levels. Also venturing in genres I usually don't do often helps understand the totally different take we have on sensitive frequencies on a given IEM. Meetups are great for that, checking out what other hear specifically.
Exactly, that is why I like to take the time with my reviews. There are so many factors that can affect how you perceive IEMs and something like harshness can come from the volume you listen at, the tuning, your sensitivity, the quality of the music files, etc. So (for instance) how do you decide if it is the tuning of the IEMs or the fact that the IEMs have so much transparency that they reveal the quality of the recording? I try to deal with that by using a wide variety of music and recording quality, as it provides the most amount of information.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #21,158 of 39,414
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #21,159 of 39,414
anybodies have tried out the Triton 1 from Spear labs??

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #21,160 of 39,414
I just received the Nemesis and Valkyrie. I was going to get the Legend X (because i know and love the sound) or take a chance and buy the Nemesis and Valkyrie.

I went with the Nemesis and Valkyrie thinking they would be more purposeful and complementary. Totally true!

I wanted to give a huge thanks to @Layman1. His impressions really helped me make a decision and in the end it seems the right one. Very happy.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #21,161 of 39,414
Nemesis is a very underrated member of the current EE lineup. Bit like the Athena-VIII from the Olympus range - great IEM in its own right, but just unfortunate to be overshadowed by the flagship.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #21,162 of 39,414
Nemesis is a very underrated member of the current EE lineup. Bit like the Athena-VIII from the Olympus range - great IEM in its own right, but just unfortunate to be overshadowed by the flagship.
I totally agree!!

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #21,163 of 39,414
Hello friends, my good buddy @mvvRAZ forced me to buy these Acustune hs1695ti, and I'm pretty glad he did. It's a very balanced IEM, I could see how some would say boring, but somtimes you want a durable, small, do everything extremely well IEM....but more on that later.

One issue with the Acustune is that they have very short nozzles. I have a million tips here, but I can't seem to find the best one...are there any tips that work particularly well with short nozzles? I have some custom art custom tips on the way, but would love a recommendation for one for this particular usecase other than custom or dual flange...if such a thing exists, Thanks!

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #21,164 of 39,414
You still enjoying the IMR Rah, @davidmolliere ? Took the plunge on the PB One AND the Halcyon (damn you, quarterly bonus!) so just wondering if you were tempted by either too! :wink:
Same here! Good thing it's possible to return if either turns out to be meh. I don't have Rah but been tempted to get one second hand here to be able to compare the full suite.

It's interesting that there are no "official" reviews, but many knowledgeable people are raving about these on the Rah forum. PB1 should technically be better but who knows.

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #21,165 of 39,414
Hello friends, my good buddy @mvvRAZ forced me to buy these Acustune hs1695ti, and I'm pretty glad he did. It's a very balanced IEM, I could see how some would say boring, but somtimes you want a durable, small, do everything extremely well IEM....but more on that later.

One issue with the Acustune is that they have very short nozzles. I have a million tips here, but I can't seem to find the best one...are there any tips that work particularly well with short nozzles? I have some custom art custom tips on the way, but would love a recommendation for one for this particular usecase other than custom or dual flange...if such a thing exists, Thanks!
Have you tried azla sedna? They have a long tube and they are comfortable with fdx1 short nozzle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back