flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #21,121 of 39,414
Slightly odd question but does anyone have any experience with customs that don't isolate as well? Had a few quirks using my fibaes at work where the isolation was a bit too good( machine I was on was making quite a racket and I hadn't heard a thing, had a supervisor come up to me on my blind side and because of the customs hadn't heard them that sort of thing) Only ones I can think off of the top of my head are the newer acs ambient range and possibly the campfire equinox with the audiophile fit and vents for the dynamic. Not sure how 64audio are with isolation either. Can't use universals really because of my stupid ear.
Get promoted and be the supervisor. Then they can all for f themselves.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #21,122 of 39,414
Slightly odd question but does anyone have any experience with customs that don't isolate as well? Had a few quirks using my fibaes at work where the isolation was a bit too good( machine I was on was making quite a racket and I hadn't heard a thing, had a supervisor come up to me on my blind side and because of the customs hadn't heard them that sort of thing) Only ones I can think off of the top of my head are the newer acs ambient range and possibly the campfire equinox with the audiophile fit and vents for the dynamic. Not sure how 64audio are with isolation either. Can't use universals really because of my stupid ear.
Something like 64 stuff, you could remove the apex module and lower isolation

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #21,123 of 39,414
83862017_10163177202835654_8791666109221699584_o.jpg

So I ended up pouncing on that reshelled-to-universal VE8 that was advertised on here a couple weeks ago...my first true blind buy and arguably the single biggest risk I've taken yet in this hobby I'm totally blown away and entirely satisfied so far.

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #21,124 of 39,414
Campfire Andromeda Original, 2019, S. SE: Gold & the ultimate MW10! :)

photo_2020-02-11_20-48-02.jpg
83862017_10163177202835654_8791666109221699584_o.jpg

So I ended up pouncing on that reshelled-to-universal VE8 that was advertised on here a couple weeks ago...my first true blind buy and arguably the single biggest risk I've taken yet in this hobby I'm totally blown away and entirely satisfied so far.
You should give a go at FIBAE 7. @davidmolliere sold VE8 once he got F7. More poison :beyersmile:

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #21,125 of 39,414
My Elysium has the highest isolation of the stuff I own, the Fusion was probably the lowest (now sold though) - I think the DD vent there allowed a lot of stuff in so to speak

The A18t with the M13 module also has a pretty low level of isolation - when I wear that I can comfortably hear most of what's going on around me, especially at low listening volumes

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #21,126 of 39,414
Good Wednesday, everyone! 'Here to share my newly-published DITA Dream XLS review on THL. It was one of my favourite overall products of last year (from packaging, to accessories, to marketing and build, etc.), and it was an absolute joy to write about, as you might guess from the length. :D As always, I hope y'all enjoy, and have a great day ahead. Cheers!

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #21,128 of 39,414
Hey guys, is it normal for customs to be hella hard to remove from ears, I can’t seem to remove them without the stem hooking into my ear holes and scraping the walls lmao.
Stupid question, but are you "screwing" them in and out of just pulling straight?

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #21,129 of 39,414
Hey guys, is it normal for customs to be hella hard to remove from ears, I can’t seem to remove them without the stem hooking into my ear holes and scraping the walls lmao.
Did you try sort of “rotating” them out of the ear? Hold the pins and push them forward - that should do the trick

Feb 12, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #21,130 of 39,414
Stupid question, but are you "screwing" them in and out of just pulling straight?

I am kind of twisting them in, the stem kind of bends outward at a 45 degree angle then bendable back vertically.

Did you try sort of “rotating” them out of the ear? Hold the pins and push them forward - that should do the trick

Thanks for the tip but that doesn’t work for me, the stem gets caught against the wall.

Here’s a pic of the right side.

0314A56E-FD55-4DA3-B81D-1018B0A25C98.jpeg

Feb 12, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #21,131 of 39,414
I am kind of twisting them in, the stem kind of bends outward at a 45 degree angle then bendable back vertically.

Thanks for the tip but that doesn’t work for me, the stem gets caught against the wall.

Here’s a pic of the right side.

0314A56E-FD55-4DA3-B81D-1018B0A25C98.jpeg
I haven't come across that issue previously I'm afraid. I've had cases where inserting the CIEM has been difficult but never one to do with removing it :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #21,133 of 39,414

As the other guys have said, it's best to remove customs with a screwing motion; turning them the opposite way you inserted them in. If this is your first pair of customs, it's normal for the process to be a bit difficult regardless. And, it should also get easier the longer you wear them, because the ear wax will act as sort of a lubricant.

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #21,134 of 39,414
VE8 treble

I saw your notes on the VE8, suggesting that it could use a bit more treble...I find the treble on the VE8 to be pretty much perfect and I'm tempted to say the best of anything I've heard. It's fully present and detailed, but not harsh, fatiguing sharp or overdone at all...it's a perfect balance for me. YMMV, and all that. I'm starting to wonder if the Elysium would be a bit too much in that regard.

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #21,135 of 39,414
I saw your notes on the VE8, suggesting that it could use a bit more treble...I find the treble on the VE8 to be pretty much perfect and I'm tempted to say the best of anything I've heard. It's fully present and detailed, but not harsh, fatiguing sharp or overdone at all...it's a perfect balance for me. YMMV, and all that. I'm starting to wonder if the Elysium would be a bit too much in that regard.
Well it’s still a very subjective ranking, and it’s entirely how I feel about different stuff I’ve heard - useful for some, not so much for others depending on your preferences :)

I’m generally quite the treble head myself and anything that can be classified as “neutral” or “slightly dark” is way too dark for me - that’s why ever since I got a liking for bass I’ve tended to Vs, as dark and bassy just doesn’t work for me (like the Legend X)

Specifically as to the VE8, I loved it at first but got ultra bored of it within a few hours.Felt better about it than the LX but only for so long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back