flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 30, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #20,941 of 39,414
Depends if they make it quick :p

Ah but it's worth it... I dig my LGPT so much, it's worth it :cupid:

Considering how much I'd own them if I succumbed to my desires... they probably won't

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #20,942 of 39,414
Fotor_158041639243238.jpg

The E01 module for the n6ii is a magical little piece of kit-- improved clarity, separation, dynamics and overall "liquidity" of the signature. Someone described it as a "mini N8" and I would agree. Very hard to put this combo down. It even brings a touch oft-needed discipline to LX's thunderous bass. Running mine through an ALO Silver Litz 4.4 cable.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #20,944 of 39,414

The E01 module for the n6ii is a magical little piece of kit-- improved clarity, separation, dynamics and overall "liquidity" of the signature. Someone described it as a "mini N8" and I would agree. Very hard to put this combo down. It even brings a touch oft-needed discipline to LX's thunderous bass. Running mine through an ALO Silver Litz 4.4 cable.

seeing you like Orbital , i suggest you hunt down these 2 genius bands

Boards Of Canada / Future Sound of London

cheers

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #20,945 of 39,414
Did you have to obtain a loan by shady means to obtain your LPGT? Now that's a testament to the love of audio and a solid commitment to the hobby!

No that was a joke but it was not reasonable for sure... certainly is a commitment!

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #20,946 of 39,414
EarSonics Stark
Sensitivity: 125 dB / mW
Frequency response: 10 Hz -20 kHz
DCR: 18.5 ohms
Drivers: 1 Dynamic, 4 BA drivers with 3 way crossover.

I believe I will let these season for a few hours, EarSonics first foray into Hybrid.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200131174943606_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #20,947 of 39,414
I just ordered brand new Elysium (very exciting) and was wondering if you guys had good recommendations on a nice DAP (~ €1000) to drive them properly if size and weight were also a consideration on top of sq. Thanks a lot in advance :).

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #20,948 of 39,414
I just ordered brand new Elysium (very exciting) and was wondering if you guys had good recommendations on a nice DAP (~ €1000) to drive them properly if size and weight were also a consideration on top of sq. Thanks a lot in advance :).
Congrats! It depends on what you are looking for in a DAP. If you would like a pure player, or something more flexible based on Android. Something neutral, or a warmer signature. Type of plug you wish to use, 3.5mm SE or 2.5mm/4.4mm balanced. Those sort of things.

I currently have the Lotoo PAW6000 in for a review and I am mighty impressed by it. It is a pure music player, so no Android or streaming services, but it does have a great PEQ that works very well. One thing, I have no idea where to get Lotoo from in the Netherlands and you have to be careful when ordering international to make sure you get the English version. Lotoo restricts language options to specific regions.

I have never heard it, but the Cayin N6ii seems to be getting a lot of good feedback. From what I understand it is a little warmer than the PAW6000, but I am sure @davidmolliere can chime in on the difference much better.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #20,949 of 39,414
Not really a DAP but the best sound I’ve gotten out of them in general is the Hugo2 - it’s worth looking into :)

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #20,950 of 39,414
Dethronray DTR1, ultra powerful. Or a LPG used.

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #20,951 of 39,414
Yesterday, I had a 3 hour listening session at the k55 audio shop in Zurich. I am searching for a new IEM/CIEM to be a portable + insulating version of HM Arya with pure silver balanced cable, which seems perfect to my ears.
I had a pleasure to try JH Layla, InEar Profile 8 and its older 10BA brother PM-X, VE8, KSE1500, and CA Andromeda (green). My only previous experience with IEMs is a 2BA Fisher Audio, which sounds amazing for $200, just lacks sub-bass and has quite strong BA character. All listening was on my HM R2R2000 Red.

I started with Layla and was "blown away" by this "object". Seriously? If I had a car and wanted my sound system to sound like Layla I would have to throw away the back seats to fit a big enough sub-woofer... I had to dial the bass to minimum position to start hearing some guitars.. Feels like listening to music inside a big metallic barrel reflecting the bass from all directions. Although, I have to be fair, the barrel was rather large in terms of soundspace.. Sounding "big" was the only thing I liked in this experience.

Profile 8 was on the edge of what I can fit into my ears. Sound is more balanced and natural, though, very fit-dependent (I can now say the same about all of UIEMs actually). Not quite enough mids for me.

PM-X: extra $800 for 2 extra BA. Sounded slightly more transparent to me with slightly better mids, but not $800 better. The build quality and fit ergonomics were noticably better, though.

The funny thing is that after reading loads of IEM reviews I got an impression that I am not sure what I want, but quite sure that it's not anything from Campfire Audio. Then I tried the CA Andromeda and, finally!!... that's exactly a little Arya: spatious, detailed, with flat bass response (fast non-overshadowing mid bass, deeply reaching sub-bass). They also fit easily and comfortably, due to small and ergonomic size. Not to mention these were the cheapest of all, something my wife got especially happy about :) The real problem was the hiss, just increadible how audible it was, even with the music on. Switching from 3.5 mm SE to 4.4mm Balanced cable allowed to switch from Low to Super Low Gain setting in the DAP and this indeed removed all the hissing. The problem is that it also seemed to remove a bit of energy from the sub-bass. So at this point if there was a way to lift the subbass a bit and may be calm down the highs that would be my golden standard. What I learned from head-fi so far is that it's exactly the type of transformation that happens when going from IEM to CIEM, so I am looking at CA Solstice with hype

KSE1500: the bulky amplifier destroys the point of this being an IEM to me. The sound is warm, realistic and effortless. The soundstage is not as wide as other IEMs, but more like a real stage in front of you. Also the first time I actually could "hear the air" in front and behind the singer without pushing my imagination.

Left VE8 for dessert: quite dark IEM, but at the same time "silky and rich" if that can be applied to sound. Mids were a bit recessed for my liking. At the same time, quite pazzlingly, I could still hear all the information.. Some $3k magic. Not anywhere close to HM Arya, though, so I cannot justify paying the full price.

Now I am puzzled if I should go for CA Solstice or for some of the Plunge Audio's offerings. I believe (after reading reviews here) that for a similar price Plunge Audio can customize the sound signature to that of Solstice/Arya + the faceplate as a bonus, while being technically more advanced in all sound areas than Solstice. @mvvRAZ, is there anything that Andromeda could do better than your Unity 5?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #20,952 of 39,414
Congrats!

Thanks! Really looking forward to receiving them.

It depends on what you are looking for in a DAP. If you would like a pure player, or something more flexible based on Android. Something neutral, or a warmer signature. Type of plug you wish to use, 3.5mm SE or 2.5mm/4.4mm balanced. Those sort of things.

I’ve been using a chord mojo with my phone for the past years and before that I think my last dedicated DAPs were the first iPod (the one with the firewire connection and the none touch wheel) and the very old Sony NW-MS7 so I guess quite a lot has change from then:).

If I had to answer I would say I’m looking for something flexible that could work with roon with a slightly warm signature and balanced to go with the stock Elysium cable. But actually, and maybe I’m being a little naive here, none of the above are really essential for me. I would like something that is small enough to bring easily around (one of the main reasons I bought the Elysiums was that I’m never really using my KSE1200, mainly because of the cumbersome additional amp). And a source that doesn’t bring down the Elysiums. That’s why I thought you guys would be the best to ask for advice!:)

I currently have the Lotoo PAW6000 in for a review and I am mighty impressed by it. It is a pure music player, so no Android or streaming services, but it does have a great PEQ that works very well. One thing, I have no idea where to get Lotoo from in the Netherlands and you have to be careful when ordering international to make sure you get the English version. Lotoo restricts language options to specific regions.

I have never heard it, but the Cayin N6ii seems to be getting a lot of good feedback. From what I understand it is a little warmer than the PAW6000, but I am sure @davidmolliere can chime in on the difference much better.

The LP6K is actually one of the DAP I was really interested in. But as you said, it’s super hard to find in the Netherlands! I can’t seem to find any shops that demos/sells it. And it’s even sold out on Musicteck. Can I ask where you got yours from?

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #20,953 of 39,414
Not really a DAP but the best sound I’ve gotten out of them in general is the Hugo2 - it’s worth looking into :)

I’m definitely planning on trying out the Hugo2 when I get the Elysiums but it looks a bit too big for my purpose (and also above my target budget). As they say, it’s more transportable than portable, right?:).

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #20,954 of 39,414
Dethronray DTR1, ultra powerful. Or a LPG used.

Oh nice, thanks a lot! I had never heard of the Dethonray DTR1. Looks very promising and I can go and demo it close to my work. Can’t wait to receive the Elysiums and try it out!

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #20,955 of 39,414
Yesterday, I had a 3 hour listening session at the k55 audio shop in Zurich. I am searching for a new IEM/CIEM to be a portable + insulating version of HM Arya with pure silver balanced cable, which seems perfect to my ears.
I had a pleasure to try JH Layla, InEar Profile 8 and its older 10BA brother PM-X, VE8, KSE1500, and CA Andromeda (green). My only previous experience with IEMs is a 2BA Fisher Audio, which sounds amazing for $200, just lacks sub-bass and has quite strong BA character. All listening was on my HM R2R2000 Red.

I started with Layla and was "blown away" by this "object". Seriously? If I had a car and wanted my sound system to sound like Layla I would have to throw away the back seats to fit a big enough sub-woofer... I had to dial the bass to minimum position to start hearing some guitars.. Feels like listening to music inside a big metallic barrel reflecting the bass from all directions. Although, I have to be fair, the barrel was rather large in terms of soundspace.. Sounding "big" was the only thing I liked in this experience.

Profile 8 was on the edge of what I can fit into my ears. Sound is more balanced and natural, though, very fit-dependent (I can now say the same about all of UIEMs actually). Not quite enough mids for me.

PM-X: extra $800 for 2 extra BA. Sounded slightly more transparent to me with slightly better mids, but not $800 better. The build quality and fit ergonomics were noticably better, though.

The funny thing is that after reading loads of IEM reviews I got an impression that I am not sure what I want, but quite sure that it's not anything from Campfire Audio. Then I tried the CA Andromeda and, finally!!... that's exactly a little Arya: spatious, detailed, with flat bass response (fast non-overshadowing mid bass, deeply reaching sub-bass). They also fit easily and comfortably, due to small and ergonomic size. Not to mention these were the cheapest of all, something my wife got especially happy about :) The real problem was the hiss, just increadible how audible it was, even with the music on. Switching from 3.5 mm SE to 4.4mm Balanced cable allowed to switch from Low to Super Low Gain setting in the DAP and this indeed removed all the hissing. The problem is that it also seemed to remove a bit of energy from the sub-bass. So at this point if there was a way to lift the subbass a bit and may be calm down the highs that would be my golden standard. What I learned from head-fi so far is that it's exactly the type of transformation that happens when going from IEM to CIEM, so I am looking at CA Solstice with hype

KSE1500: the bulky amplifier destroys the point of this being an IEM to me. The sound is warm, realistic and effortless. The soundstage is not as wide as other IEMs, but more like a real stage in front of you. Also the first time I actually could "hear the air" in front and behind the singer without pushing my imagination.

Left VE8 for dessert: quite dark IEM, but at the same time "silky and rich" if that can be applied to sound. Mids were a bit recessed for my liking. At the same time, quite pazzlingly, I could still hear all the information.. Some $3k magic. Not anywhere close to HM Arya, though, so I cannot justify paying the full price.

Now I am puzzled if I should go for CA Solstice or for some of the Plunge Audio's offerings. I believe (after reading reviews here) that for a similar price Plunge Audio can customize the sound signature to that of Solstice/Arya + the faceplate as a bonus, while being technically more advanced in all sound areas than Solstice. @mvvRAZ, is there anything that Andromeda could do better than your Unity 5?
I can’t recommend the Andro over the Unity 5 personally. I found the latter to be an improvement on it in almost every way tbh

I would however recommend the Acoustune 1695TI over both of these at that price point - they don’t have that meh BA timbre, way better bass with more slam and decay (without a boost in quantity), amazing midrange and treble too. Genuinely in love with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back