flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 2, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #20,971 of 39,414
Do not do the DTR1 and Elysium combo. The tweeters somehow dont activate. Sounds dark and boomy with DTR
It could be. I tried the Elysium only with LPG, and liked the combo a lot, but LPG is brighter than DTR1
Oh that’s a bummer, found the DTR1 quite promising, at least on paper. Thanks for the heads-up though!

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #20,973 of 39,414
yeah I’m not a fan, everything is so large also. So much wasted screen real estate.
Also that thing where you click reply to a message and it takes you to a specific window where you can reply - I now can't just reply to someone, click on another post and reply to that too. So annoying, and it feels like a direct downgrade in just about every single way

Feb 2, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #20,974 of 39,414
i think it's still a work in progress...:fingers_crossed:

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #20,978 of 39,414
Has anyone tried the UM Mentor V3+? I think it's really good. Might be the Asian Elysium, for me at least so. Worth a try. The dual tone cable looks a bit weird though. But ignoring the cable and connector, the SQ is very enjoyable, and good all-round.

Mason V3+ incoming, but never heard Mentor V3+. Glad they’re sounding good for you! Don’t know how I feel about their prices (that’s not true, I hate them), but looking forward to seeing how they sound.

-Collin-

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #20,979 of 39,414
Feb 3, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #20,980 of 39,414
Mason V3+ incoming, but never heard Mentor V3+. Glad they’re sounding good for you! Don’t know how I feel about their prices (that’s not true, I hate them), but looking forward to seeing how they sound.

-Collin-
Have you heard the Mason V3+? Having both Mason (one for your son), that's awesome! I think the Mason V3+ is good too, quite improved from the V2 while retaining most of its character. But compared to the Mentor V3+ it has more bass. You might like it more, but for me I like the Mentor V3+ more because of its leaner, more clarity-focused sound.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #20,981 of 39,414
That would be great! Thanks a lot.
I sent off a message, but I am not sure how quickly she will be able to answer because of all the corona virus restrictions. (Not sure if she has been able to get back to work after CNY.)

If you happen to live in the back of beyond, ie. near Groningen, I can also help with a demo of the LP6K.

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #20,983 of 39,414
I sent off a message, but I am not sure how quickly she will be able to answer because of all the corona virus restrictions. (Not sure if she has been able to get back to work after CNY.)

If you happen to live in the back of beyond, ie. near Groningen, I can also help with a demo of the LP6K.
Think I saw that the delay to work has been extended to the 14th to help contain it.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #20,984 of 39,414
Has anyone tried the UM Mentor V3+? I think it's really good. Might be the Asian Elysium, for me at least so. Worth a try. The dual tone cable looks a bit weird though. But ignoring the cable and connector, the SQ is very enjoyable, and good all-round.

I have reviewed both original V3s of Mentor and Mason (on Tw6 site) and still have Mason. Will check out V3+ at CanJam NYC in two weeks, to compare with V3. Also, remember musicteck had both v3+ on sale during black Friday at almost $800 off the original price. Unfortunately, haven't heard Ely yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back