flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 3, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #20,986 of 39,414
Have you heard the Mason V3+? Having both Mason (one for your son), that's awesome! I think the Mason V3+ is good too, quite improved from the V2 while retaining most of its character. But compared to the Mentor V3+ it has more bass. You might like it more, but for me I like the Mentor V3+ more because of its leaner, more clarity-focused sound.

Only heard Mason V3, not +, and enjoyed it greatly. A nice refinement of V2. Mason holds a special place for me of course for reasons you mentioned :)

@twister6 I remember the sale, which makes it more painful that I decided I wanted it afterward!

-Collin-

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #20,987 of 39,414
Anyone else find that they're email notifications have stopped since the site update?

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #20,988 of 39,414
Anyone else has issues posting (server errors)?

Maybe it's only longer posts... this one went through...

------
I had a very nice meetup in Paris last saturday and a rare opportunity to meet @Mimouille who brought us the just as rare Spiral Ear SE6 (which I fit great) and Tralucent Plus 5.2...

The SE6 I already auditioned once with the WM1Z and didn’t click with me... This always puzzled me and I suspected it didn’t get enough power and this was why but one year later with the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch I had more or less the same impression so it's not an issue of driving power or synergy. Maybe it's just that I would need more time with the SE6 or the fit (which is pretty good for me with Mimouille's). My main issue is with the mids which I had a hard time wrapping my head around maybe lacking upper mids, this anyway didn't sound natural to me. Bass is nice and well extended and great control in the mid bass. The treble is very refined but I wished there was more energy. Again, always hard from an audition but like last time not what I expected.

On to Tralucent Plus 5.2 : a unique signature smooth, full mids with fantastic treble extension but almost a tad too much treble presence for me. I didn't find it harsh either or too energetic, just the upper treble presence too "distracting" like bass and mids are coherent but treble stands out. Bad pairing with LPGT? Maybe. I wouldn’t get it but I can appreciate the value proposition.

Also thanks to @Modwright01 I got to audition the 64 Audio Fourte Noir which I loved. A much more coherent proposition than the Fourte, very engaging and strong technicalities, superb soundstage but still way above my price limit. Like the Erlkönig a remarkable all rounder SummitFi offering worth the price of admission if you can afford it (and find one!).

To be continued (post error...)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #20,989 of 39,414
(Continued....) Ah and 64 Audio N8 which I have been on the fence getting for a while now... I have finally auditioned the universal demo and although I am aware that there are differences witht he custom I can say this is an overlooked IEM... among the best bass I have ever heard and a very refined IEM with nice extension up top. The full sounding mids are a pure treat this is most probably the CIEM I am getting next it needs more love! It was love at first sight

In the budget discoveries Shozy V.33 Pro is my kind of dynamic smooth, elegant and refined refreshing to get this SQ at this price point!

(Note : there seems to be a character limit of some sort... :thinking: )

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #20,990 of 39,414
(Continued....) Ah and 64 Audio N8 which I have been on the fence getting for a while now... I have finally auditioned the universal demo and although I am aware that there are differences witht he custom I can say this is an overlooked IEM... among the best bass I have ever heard and a very refined IEM with nice extension up top. The full sounding mids are a pure treat this is most probably the CIEM I am getting next it needs more love! It was love at first sight

In the budget discoveries Shozy V.33 Pro is my kind of dynamic smooth, elegant and refined refreshing to get this SQ at this price point!

(Note : there seems to be a character limit of some sort... :thinking: )

I agree with you for the N8, it’s also pretty much the only 64 Audio IEM I liked after demoing all of them.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #20,991 of 39,414
I agree with you for the N8, it’s also pretty much the only 64 Audio IEM I liked after demoing all of them.

You've got the Solaris right? Have you ever heard the VE stuff? In particular the VE8...if I ever go custom that's where I'm leaning.

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #20,992 of 39,414
Speaking of the Mason V3...

Who makes cables with the 4pin for the Mason V3? Stock cable is great but would love to try something else.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #20,993 of 39,414

Who makes cables with the 4pin for the Mason V3? Stock cable is great but would love to try something else.

I am offended that you ventured outside of SeeSax's cable depot for this...

LOL! I will text you :)

-Collin-

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #20,994 of 39,414
Woah new hf mobile looks like oldschool facebook lol

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #20,995 of 39,414
You've got the Solaris right? Have you ever heard the VE stuff? In particular the VE8...if I ever go custom that's where I'm leaning.

I’ve actually ordered the VE8 and they should be arriving this week or next week. I can compare them throughly once they do. I’ve heard the universal demo but I don’t really recall the differences enough to comment. I liked them enough to buy them though and preferred them to Solaris.

I don’t think there’s enough bass for you for the Elysium though judging by you wanting a little more in the Solaris as do I. Mids are really one of a kind though, still worth a listen but not worth getting your hands on.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #20,996 of 39,414
Anyone have tried listening (with a dongle) to the newest huawei nova? I'd highly recommend giving a try. Its music application sounded (unexpectedly) great! The bass may not be as tight, but its midrange and clarity are simply amazing IMHO. Especially with FIBAE7. It's quiet in the background, and sounding transparent.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #20,997 of 39,414

Hi there, Effect Audio make a special cable exclusively for the Mason V3+ and I think it can be ordered from UM or the companies that sell the Mason V3+.
I imagine - although you'd need to contact UM or EA to confirm - that this cable would be compatible with previous versions of the Mason.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #20,998 of 39,414
I’ve actually ordered the VE8 and they should be arriving this week or next week. I can compare them throughly once they do. I’ve heard the universal demo but I don’t really recall the differences enough to comment. I liked them enough to buy them though and preferred them to Solaris.

I don’t think there’s enough bass for you for the Elysium though judging by you wanting a little more in the Solaris as do I. Mids are really one of a kind though, still worth a listen but not worth getting your hands on.

Since getting the Solaris SE I haven't had any issues with the bass at all...my other IEM is a Legend X and I still find myself reaching for Solaris more often. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the VE8.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #20,999 of 39,414
Well well well (three holes in the ground)... -Sorry, old joke. :wink:- It seems like we are barely talking about the Mason/Mentor V3+ and UM are already moving on to something completely new, a quad hybrid. It is the first time I have seen a bone conducting driver in an IEM. It is actually the first try at a serious implementation of it I have seen, as I have so far only seen it as a gimmick. Very curious and I don't really know what to think about it. Don't even know if it you would perceive anything from that driver beyond sound, but I would not be surprised if it gave a whole new dimension to getting a good fit with the universal.

Just to copy the image from the thread:
10566884.png

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #21,000 of 39,414

I'm curious as to what the 64Audio line up didn't work for you. I have heard @Rockwell75 's Solaris SE so I'm familiar with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back