flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 6, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #21,016 of 39,414
Agreed - I feel like they aren’t very suitable for outside use in general - they don’t isolate very well and the treble can get a bit overbearing once you pump up the volume to mute your surroundings

As to the fit, they fit me well, but they’re pretty big and I look like a bit of an ass :D more of a home use IEM imo, but certainly can be used elsewhere too
As ass with bling bling :)

Any suggestions on an IEM with a similar sound signature that is a bit more practical as an everyday option? I am letting these LX's burn in to the 100-200 hour mark because settling on them (aesthetics and comfort are definitely more versatile)-but so far they just are not as exciting as the Z1Rs were.

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #21,017 of 39,414

Any suggestions on an IEM with a similar sound signature that is a bit more practical as an everyday option? I am letting these LX's burn in to the 100-200 hour mark because settling on them (aesthetics and comfort are definitely more versatile)-but so far they just are not as exciting as the Z1Rs were.
I don’t think the LX has the treble to bring the excitement of the Z1R to the table

my suggestion would be the Acoustune 1695TI. They’re cheaper, smaller, somewhat warmer in the midrange and definitely have the upper hand when it comes to the vocals. The Z1R is more technical but not by too massive a margin

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #21,018 of 39,414
Agreed on the DD slam and data retrieval, really enjoyed my (brief) time with them too. Just wish the fit was not so large-couldn't wear for more than 30-45 minutes. Also, not a ideal aesthetic for every day subway travel

If they produced a less glitzy version, I would consider buying them. As is, you are asking to be mugged when wearing them out in public.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #21,019 of 39,414
Decision time.
I am in a position where I can upgrade my entire listening rig, portable and desktop. I have my basic items down, fir audio m3 as iem, mrspeakers aeon 2 closed and the desktop rig settled. Now, do I go with 2.5mm connection for more variety of components like (DAP, secondhand upgrade cables) or do I go 4.4mm for better durability and possibly sound?
The DAPs in question would be the midfi offerings like the hint r5, shanling m6, ibasso dx160, and a secondhand ak sr15. All are acceptable DAPs to me

If your music catalog is mainly SD card, personal catalog, and you prefer top end energy -- dx160. Saves you $100 bucks too. Bluetooth and wifi are poorly implemented on am otherwise great sounding device.

If you stream, use Bluetooth, prefer mid-range, want a snappy UI, all three jacks (3.5, 2.5 and 4.4) and you need extended battery life -- M6.

So it's up to what you need.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #21,020 of 39,414

You seem to have tried all the top candidates...though I'm curious to know what you mean by "exciting" because I'm struggling to see how Z1R could be seen as more exciting than the LX.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #21,022 of 39,414
Probably due to the treble differences on the Z1R v Legend X.

Oh ok...usually when I hear people talk about "exciting" they mean bass slam and the LX destroys the Z1R in that regard. I've been quite enjoying the comparatively darker sig on the LX lately. Super detailed and very engaging.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #21,023 of 39,414
Oh ok...usually when I hear people talk about "exciting" they mean bass slam and the LX destroys the Z1R in that regard. I've been quite enjoying the comparatively darker sig on the LX lately. Super detailed and very engaging.

Just my assumption at least, I answered for him XD. Yep the Legend X is a very good IEM!

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #21,024 of 39,414
Well well well (three holes in the ground)... -Sorry, old joke. :wink:- It seems like we are barely talking about the Mason/Mentor V3+ and UM are already moving on to something completely new, a quad hybrid. It is the first time I have seen a bone conducting driver in an IEM. It is actually the first try at a serious implementation of it I have seen, as I have so far only seen it as a gimmick. Very curious and I don't really know what to think about it. Don't even know if it you would perceive anything from that driver beyond sound, but I would not be surprised if it gave a whole new dimension to getting a good fit with the universal.

Just to copy the image from the thread:
10566884.png
Gonna try as soon as it arrives! :xf_eek:

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #21,025 of 39,414
You seem to have tried all the top candidates...though I'm curious to know what you mean by "exciting" because I'm struggling to see how Z1R could be seen as more exciting than the LX.
Yup I am thinking it’s the treble. I am used to the slam coming from the CA Atlas and perhaps don’t enjoy the LX’s darker signature as much. Still on my journey of learning/trial and error as I started last year with just an IE80s as my main IEM.

Regardless I want to wait for the burn in since I know the Atlas opened up amazingly over time-hoping the same here. Bass just feels a bit bloated at the moment and soundstage a bit closed compared to Z1R.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #21,026 of 39,414
I'd be curious to hear your impressions of Solaris relative to u12t if you remember enough to form an impression.

It will be fun to really compare the next time we meet up but from memory...
The main difference for me is how the performance is portrayed or where I feel I am. The SE puts me right in the midst of the performance, Spatial cues are all there and so is all the detail but I’m right there. The music isn’t just forward mids or anything it’s just all very present. Now to be fair, that could be because you set the volume and it was a bit louder than I usually listen... The U12t has a bit more of an ethereal character with a little more air as part of the music. It’s not that there’s necessarily more detail, it’s just that I feel more removed from the performance, more like listening to speakers. That happens to be something I like. Ive pretty much acclimated to the U12t now but I remember when they were new thinking that the image was smaller than the LX and definitely smaller than the SE.
I do have an experiment based on a discussion of tips in the 64Audio thread wherein I have been using the spiral dots ++ with a bit of a spacer to get the tips to seat deeper in my ear but maybe that’s pushing the nozzle tip out a bit and causing a bit of the sense of distance,

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #21,027 of 39,414
Yup I am thinking it’s the treble. I am used to the slam coming from the CA Atlas and perhaps don’t enjoy the LX’s darker signature as much. Still on my journey of learning/trial and error as I started last year with just an IE80s as my main IEM.

Regardless I want to wait for the burn in since I know the Atlas opened up amazingly over time-hoping the same here. Bass just feels a bit bloated at the moment and soundstage a bit closed compared to Z1R.

Yup the journey to finding the type of signature and gear you're after is one of the great joys (and expenses lol) of hobby. I own and love the Legend X, but for me it's more of a "guilty pleasure niche IEM"...it's not really an all rounder imho...and I don't think you'll ever get the sort of staging on it that you'll get with something like the Z1R or Solaris.

It will be fun to really compare the next time we meet up but from memory...
The main difference for me is how the performance is portrayed or where I feel I am. The SE puts me right in the midst of the performance, Spatial cues are all there and so is all the detail but I’m right there. The music isn’t just forward mids or anything it’s just all very present. Now to be fair, that could be because you set the volume and it was a bit louder than I usually listen... The U12t has a bit more of an ethereal character with a little more air as part of the music. It’s not that there’s necessarily more detail, it’s just that I feel more removed from the performance, more like listening to speakers. That happens to be something I like. Ive pretty much acclimated to the U12t now but I remember when they were new thinking that the image was smaller than the LX and definitely smaller than the SE.
I do have an experiment based on a discussion of tips in the 64Audio thread wherein I have been using the spiral dots ++ with a bit of a spacer to get the tips to seat deeper in my ear but maybe that’s pushing the nozzle tip out a bit and causing a bit of the sense of distance,

Wow you got the Spiral dots ++? I've been dying to pick those up but I can't seem to find them for a reasonable price. You're right about the staging on the Solaris...I noticed that even comparing it with the LX-- with the LX it's coming at you, with Solaris you're immersed in it. As some have noted Solaris is great for live acoustic performances-- Eric Clapton's Unplugged is unparalleled on it-- as well as some of the airy and ethereal techno I tend to listen to. I could totally see the music you listen to being better served on something like the u12t though...I can't wait to check it out again.

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #21,029 of 39,414
Wow you got the Spiral dots ++? I've been dying to pick those up but I can't seem to find them for a reasonable price. You're right about the staging on the Solaris...I noticed that even comparing it with the LX-- with the LX it's coming at you, with Solaris you're immersed in it. As some have noted Solaris is great for live acoustic performances-- Eric Clapton's Unplugged is unparalleled on it-- as well as some of the airy and ethereal techno I tend to listen to. I could totally see the music you listen to being better served on something like the u12t though...I can't wait to check it out again.

I got the Spiral Dots++ through Amazon Japan for about $20usd plus shipping. Expensive for tips but quite a bit cheaper than ebay. I've always liked spiral dots and an improved version.. well... The only problem is that the nozzle on the U12t is a bit small for them so they sometimes stay in my ear. I'm going to try the stock foams tonight though just to see.

In the end, the differences are largely what you get used to. I'm sure that after 2 weeks with the Solaris SE I would think their sound as normal and love them. There's really nothing missing. Overall I think I prefer the U12t for it's staging and airiness but I never really did listen to my music with the Solaris so who knows.
Things like the LX with the bass is another matter though as it's got a clear emphasized sonic element going on. Personally after getting the cable and DAP right, I really really enjoyed the LX.. but as always, move on, try new things and search for something that works all the time. For me the U12t is the closest yet.. I look forward to listening to them every night.. it's been a while since I felt this so strongly.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #21,030 of 39,414
I got the Spiral Dots++ through Amazon Japan for about $20usd plus shipping. Expensive for tips but quite a bit cheaper than ebay. I've always liked spiral dots and an improved version.. well... The only problem is that the nozzle on the U12t is a bit small for them so they sometimes stay in my ear. I'm going to try the stock foams tonight though just to see.

In the end, the differences are largely what you get used to. I'm sure that after 2 weeks with the Solaris SE I would think their sound as normal and love them. There's really nothing missing. Overall I think I prefer the U12t for it's staging and airiness but I never really did listen to my music with the Solaris so who knows.
Things like the LX with the bass is another matter though as it's got a clear emphasized sonic element going on. Personally after getting the cable and DAP right, I really really enjoyed the LX.. but as always, move on, try new things and search for something that works all the time. For me the U12t is the closest yet.. I look forward to listening to them every night.. it's been a while since I felt this so strongly.

Yeah spiral dots were my favorite tips for a long time and the idea of a new and improved version is very tempting.

This is truly a luxury hobby and being able to try many different things until we find something that is "just right" for us is nothing if not a blessing. I'd love for you try the E01 module on my n6ii with your u12t...it brings a unique flavor-- a sweet sort of liquidity-- to the signature that is unique in all my experience with different players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back