flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 29, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #20,911 of 39,414
Since around 6 months ago, I started overhauling my entire collection. Now it's around 90% FLAC, with around 60% of that from CD rips or paid downloads (including Bandcamp), and 40% (basically, wherever it's available) in Hi Res 24 bit FLAC files - the highest res ones I can find - from HDTracks, Hi-Res Audio, UK 7digital, etc.

I figured since I love music and it's such a huge part of my life, it's worth investing in, and getting the best quality that I can.
The remaining tracks are in mp3 (where I couldn't get access to FLAC, for example most of my Chinese music, and some/most of my Kpop, Japanese, Filipino, Indian etc) or DSD64.

I have very eclectic tastes in music. I'm not keen on progressive, experimental, screaming metal, ambient or dance music (although there's exceptions within most of those genres), but pretty much anything else is in my collection somewhere :p
Would be interested to know if other people have legit sources that I may have missed, especially for the Asian stuff :)
You should try the Tidal online store. It’s expensive but it has some more obscure and specific stuff in FLACs

On a side not I love Bandcamp! Check out Deap Vally’s live performance, it’s super good

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #20,912 of 39,414
You should try the Solaris again too while you're at it.
That's an IEM I'm very interested to try, including the recent Special Edition.
I had a brief listen to the original at London CanJam, and I felt it was very impressive.
I couldn't say more since it was only a 5-10min listen, but at that time I'd spent most of the weekend on the Empire Ears desk, testing Josh's infinite patience to the limit :p

By the time I listened to the Solaris, I'd already narrowed down my search for my perfect audiophile bass cannon to the Nemesis and was enjoying that rare feeling in this hobby of utter completion and satisfaction, so I didn't pay very great attention to anything else that weekend :D
Still, the Solaris impressed and I'd be interested to hear more :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #20,913 of 39,414
That's an IEM I'm very interested to try, including the recent Special Edition.
I had a brief listen to the original at London CanJam, and I felt it was very impressive.
I couldn't say more since it was only a 5-10min listen, but at that time I'd spent most of the weekend on the Empire Ears desk, testing Josh's infinite patience to the limit :p

By the time I listened to the Solaris, I'd already narrowed down my search for my perfect audiophile bass cannon to the Nemesis and was enjoying that rare feeling in this hobby of utter completion and satisfaction, so I didn't pay very great attention to anything else that weekend :D
Still, the Solaris impressed and I'd be interested to hear more :)

It's my favorite IEM overall, but it's no bass cannon.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #20,914 of 39,414
You should try the Tidal online store. It’s expensive but it has some more obscure and specific stuff in FLACs

On a side not I love Bandcamp! Check out Deap Vally’s live performance, it’s super good

Excuse my ignorance, having never used Tidal (or any streaming for that matter!).
Are you saying that I can actually buy HD FLAC tracks from Tidal, to download to my MacBook and/or DAP and keep permanently?
Do I need a Tidal subscription for that? And/or the app installed on my MacBook and/or DAP?

Questions, questions :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #20,915 of 39,414
Excuse my ignorance, having never used Tidal (or any streaming for that matter!).
Are you saying that I can actually buy HD FLAC tracks from Tidal, to download to my MacBook and/or DAP and keep permanently?
Do I need a Tidal subscription for that? And/or the app installed on my MacBook and/or DAP?

Questions, questions :)
Tidal has an online store that’s separate from their streaming and almost nobody knows of haha

Just google tidal online store and it’ll show up - and yes, albums you buy and download :)

Only trouble is, you get to download them only once so make sure to save them! Another thing I’m not too happy about is that you can’t buy individual songs

Can’t win em all haha

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #20,916 of 39,414
It's my favorite IEM overall, but it's no bass cannon.

Indeed! As I just commented on the EE thread, at that time, I was looking to fill a specific niche slot in my small IEM collection; specifically for an audiophile IEM that had the most visceral and hard-hitting bass I could find, for when the mood strikes me :)

I have other IEMs for warm/rich, neutral/reference, etc.

But the Solaris struck me as a good TOTL all-rounder, with enough bass to keep me happy, without dominating matters.
Similar feeling with the Itsfit Fusion (which I'm currently reviewing) and the EE Valkyrie (which I should be reviewing soon).
However, based on a brief impression, I think the treble on both of those is going to be a bit sharper and the overall sound slightly more fatiguing than with the Solaris?
I'm sensitive to such things, so it's all relative of course :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #20,917 of 39,414
an audiophile IEM that had the most visceral and hard-hitting bass I could find, for when the mood strikes me :)

Incidentally I recently bought an EE Legend X for exactly that reason :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #20,918 of 39,414
Tidal has an online store that’s separate from their streaming and almost nobody knows of haha

Just google tidal online store and it’ll show up - and yes, albums you buy and download :)

Only trouble is, you get to download them only once so make sure to save them! Another thing I’m not too happy about is that you can’t buy individual songs

Can’t win em all haha

Yeah, it's similar with HDTracks, which is mostly (or exclusively?) album-only.
I 'discovered' James Taylor recently (only about 40 years after everybody else lol). I always loved "You can close your eyes", but only knew a couple of other tracks by him.
HDTracks had a 5-album package in the 24/192 FLAC that I couldn't find anywhere else, so I ended up paying around £50 for that.
I later narrowed it down to a playlist of around 12 songs (plus a few other FLAC files from "October Road"). But I still don't regret a penny :)

What I have found though is that if you look around, there are bargains to be had. Here in the UK at least (don't know about elsewhere) we have UK 7 digital, which has a lot of albums in 16 and 24 bit FLAC, and also in many cases allows me to just download individual tracks. Occasionally that's true on the 'Hi-Res Audio' website too.
And also, sometimes prices for an album are cheaper on HDTracks; sometimes on one of those other sites.
So yeah, do your research and, as Smokey Robinson & The Miracles sang, 'Shop Around' :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #20,919 of 39,414
Incidentally I recently bought an EE Legend X for exactly that reason :)

I started second-guessing myself and ended up requesting an LX loaner unit at home.
So I spent around two weeks comparing both.
My eventual conclusions were that both were outstanding, and if I'd had the money, I would have bought both (or tried to get the slightly differently-tuned LX Japan Special Edition).

LX had really outstanding technical performance, and on some tracks, it let me hear them in a way I'd never experienced before that made my jaw drop.
However, I felt there was something of a mid-bass hump or bleed that wasn't there on the Nemesis, that occasionally made the bass seem overwhelming (even though I felt the Nemesis had more bass quantity/impact).
Also, again with my sensitivity, I felt the LX occasionally triggered that sensitivity, whereas the Nemesis didn't. Only occasionally mind you, but overall I just felt the Nemesis suited better what I was looking for.

And again, since I was looking for the greatest bass impact, I found that, for me, the Nemesis won that particular battle, especially with a thicker gauge Ares II+ cable (which I'm currently having converted into a staggering Eros II+ 8-wire cable after a chat with EA about how to maintain the Ares II+ qualities, whilst adding a bit more mid/treble lift and increased soundstage and separation!) :D

I still love the LX though. I've decided to start saving up now for the hopefully forthcoming EE Odin, which seems to be something a bit like an LX with added E-Stats.
In the unlikely event that turns out not to be to my tastes, then I'm sure I'll have no problem picking up a used LX around that time :wink:

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #20,920 of 39,414
So how do you guys richen your music library anyway? Being a pirate? Rip them LPs yourself? HDtracks?
And what kind of format do you prefer? CD quality? Vinyl rips? DSD DSF?

Buy used CD's for $3-$5 a pop. Burn to FLAC. Easy and painless :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #20,921 of 39,414
Buy used CD's for $3-$5 a pop. Burn to FLAC. Easy and painless :)

Yep, forgot to mention in my previous post, but I did a bunch of that too recently! Quality and value :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #20,923 of 39,414
Yeah, it's similar with HDTracks, which is mostly (or exclusively?) album-only.
I 'discovered' James Taylor recently (only about 40 years after everybody else lol). I always loved "You can close your eyes", but only knew a couple of other tracks by him.
HDTracks had a 5-album package in the 24/192 FLAC that I couldn't find anywhere else, so I ended up paying around £50 for that.
I later narrowed it down to a playlist of around 12 songs (plus a few other FLAC files from "October Road"). But I still don't regret a penny :)

What I have found though is that if you look around, there are bargains to be had. Here in the UK at least (don't know about elsewhere) we have UK 7 digital, which has a lot of albums in 16 and 24 bit FLAC, and also in many cases allows me to just download individual tracks. Occasionally that's true on the 'Hi-Res Audio' website too.
And also, sometimes prices for an album are cheaper on HDTracks; sometimes on one of those other sites.
So yeah, do your research and, as Smokey Robinson & The Miracles sang, 'Shop Around' :)

Qobuz generally allow you to download single track as well. Sorry, just seen Mims post above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back