flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 4, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #11,026 of 39,414
It's flexible stuff I've poked at it (not deep not past the grill) with a small needle and I was able to get some out.

Ordered a jodi vac (consumer 95$ version) hopefully it works okay

did you receive it , how is it working for you ?

looks like i need to get a US > EU socket adaptor , oh well no biggie.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #11,027 of 39,414
did you receive it , how is it working for you ?

looks like i need to get a US > EU socket adaptor , oh well no biggie.

I did receive the Jodi vac it was very useful in what I needed to do. However I ended up removing the grill, and I love it this way

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #11,028 of 39,414
I did receive the Jodi vac it was very useful in what I needed to do. However I ended up removing the grill, and I love it this way

jodi-vac? grill? Good lead-in to introduce my latest review of FIR Audio Headphone VAC for IEMs and CIEMs, including universals with a mesh grill cover. Just posted it HERE, including video clips :wink:

firaudio_vac-14.jpg firaudio_vac-17.jpg firaudio_vac-19.jpg firaudio_vac-36.jpg

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #11,029 of 39,414
A bit off topic but a friend from TellementNomade (kudos, Simon!) showed me a very nice case for his CIEM and given what happened to my Phantom with the Empire case...

I decided to order two of those for the VE8 and Phantom, it's the AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-HPP300 and indeed it's both very compact and quite secure (it won't be crush proof like a Pelican but safe enough, luckily I can fit two of those into a Pelican 1060 for transport). I like the fact you can snap them in place with the cable preventing movement during transport. Also you can fit uprade cables, 8 wire probably won't fit but still pretty good it fits the Ares II and the Lionheart with 2.5 termination.

Here are a few pics and the diagram for dimensions.

4mwkta4n9GkxDR4mxvorAUXtIf846D.png

The Phantom :

c3XnhsfdO4eogm4IzkkPleXq4DagUy.png

The VE8 :

qdn7XKTkzsX1jXImJdhxPYODwwnL9c.png

Found them on eBay for 15€ a piece.
Thought I'd share :)

thanks David. Since we have the exact same Phantom's, I ordered mine in Blue via Amazon Prime. Was without a box, but new. 13.00 usd delivered. I would have had to wait until august if I went with a new one. I'm sure I will love it. Thanks so much.

jodi-vac? grill? Good lead-in to introduce my latest review of FIR Audio Headphone VAC for IEMs and CIEMs, including universals with a mesh grill cover. Just posted it HERE, including video clips :wink:

thanks. good review. Got the Jodi a while back as I care about keeping my things clean and in good shape (anything I own, lol). I would have gotten this one if I knew about it on looks alone most probably (am I that vain? yes,). Both seem like great devices and for those of us who use them daily and want to keep them clean, it makes great sense.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #11,030 of 39,414
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #11,031 of 39,414
Dear friends and lovers, my Legend X review is finally up.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/empire-ears-legend-x.22927/reviews#review-20532

Also available in a magazine-like, easier to digest format here https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/0...nd-x-a-sterling-tour-de-force-of-showmanship/

Happy reading.

great review man , and great to see some very thorough comparisons with se5 (which still remains the only CIEM i may end up adding to my Zeus XR when santa money comes down my chimney)

oh , and is your really name Ziggy ? If so , what a fuc.king cool name you have bro :right_facing_fist:

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #11,032 of 39,414
great review man , and great to see some very thorough comparisons with se5 (which still remains the only CIEM i may end up adding to my Zeus XR when santa money comes down my chimney)

oh , and is your really name Ziggy ? If so , what a fuc.king cool name you have bro :right_facing_fist:
No it ain't haha. XR and SE5U might just complement each other.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #11,033 of 39,414
No it ain't haha. XR and SE5U might just complement each other.

well your review got me lusting SE5 , so kudos there

besides se5 has 2 big advantages over EE ciems (for me at least)

a) they are made in EU so no taxes worries and
b)they offer a reshell service , so another huge win there over EE

cheers

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #11,034 of 39,414

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/empire-ears-legend-x.22927/reviews#review-20532

Also available in a magazine-like, easier to digest format here https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/0...nd-x-a-sterling-tour-de-force-of-showmanship/

Happy reading.

Dude, that review was so entertaining to read! I doubt I've ever chuckled so much reading a review on head-fi :) My gf was sending me the obligatory "you fking nerd" eyes all the while :p

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #11,035 of 39,414
Hey guys!

Bouncing off of @ezekiel77's excellent review of the Legend X, today I'm sharing a lil' something I whipped up at work with Empire Ears' very own Phantom. :D

This is a live arrangement of Larry Norman's Jesus is the Rock performed by the Tabernacle Family Band and Lydia Nursaid. This track was recorded live on a Yamaha CL5 console through a Lynx Studio Aurora 16 interface. I recorded 8 channels consisting of live drums, vocals, bass, keyboards and guitars. The drums and keyboards in particular were grouped channels that I mixed live on the console, while the vocals, bass and guitars were individual tracks that I was able to tweak at home. I then edited, mixed and mastered those 8 components on Logic Pro X entirely with plug-ins. Everything from recording all the way to mastering was monitored mostly on the Phantom's then cross-checked with the Jomo Audio Haka, the UE LIVE and the Lime Ears Model X.

Because of the live setting, the limited number of available tracks and the in-the-box mixing approach, I had to make several compromises throughout the process (especially in terms of cleanliness and track volume). But, I reckon the sheer talent and musicality on display here is more than enough to satiate the eardrums. Besides, AFAIK this'll be one of the very first tracks shared on Head-Fi made entirely with a modern reference CIEM. If that isn't worth sharing, what is? :wink:

So, without further adieu, turn the volume way up, press play and tell me Christian music can't get a little spicy. :p

Listen here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w3MlMUcut-ITUuqcAbjaOQ5B--MnCkTv

GKT Cover.png

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #11,038 of 39,414

Happy reading.

This post seems highly quotable.
I've only started...

"What do they know about the thug audiophile life!"

Mike

EDIT

"The Empire Ears accessories also make good ninja gear."

"Like a big tummy with a solid six-pack underneath, the mids have hidden depths."

"Like emerging from a pool of chocolate milk, the upper mids are tastefully accentuated and breathe with utmost clarity."

"Now if I were to compare Lord of the Rings characters to parts of the signature..."

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #11,039 of 39,414
Hey guys!

Bouncing off of @ezekiel77's excellent review of the Legend X, today I'm sharing a lil' something I whipped up at work with Empire Ears' very own Phantom. :D

This is a live arrangement of Larry Norman's Jesus is the Rock performed by the Tabernacle Family Band and Lydia Nursaid. This track was recorded live on a Yamaha CL5 console through a Lynx Studio Aurora 16 interface. I recorded 8 channels consisting of live drums, vocals, bass, keyboards and guitars. The drums and keyboards in particular were grouped channels that I mixed live on the console, while the vocals, bass and guitars were individual tracks that I was able to tweak at home. I then edited, mixed and mastered those 8 components on Logic Pro X entirely with plug-ins. Everything from recording all the way to mastering was monitored mostly on the Phantom's then cross-checked with the Jomo Audio Haka, the UE LIVE and the Lime Ears Model X.

Because of the live setting, the limited number of available tracks and the in-the-box mixing approach, I had to make several compromises throughout the process (especially in terms of cleanliness and track volume). But, I reckon the sheer talent and musicality on display here is more than enough to satiate the eardrums. Besides, AFAIK this'll be one of the very first tracks shared on Head-Fi made entirely with a modern reference CIEM. If that isn't worth sharing, what is? :wink:

So, without further adieu, turn the volume way up, press play and tell me Christian music can't get a little spicy. :p

Listen here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w3MlMUcut-ITUuqcAbjaOQ5B--MnCkTv

Well alright now!! That drummer gots a mean shuffle boy!

That half-time in the intro plus the accents throughout! Whewwwww Lordy!! Here I come JC!!

giphy.gif

Thanks for sharing Daniel!

Jul 6, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #11,040 of 39,414
Well alright now!! That drummer gots a mean shuffle boy!

That half-time in the intro plus the accents throughout! Whewwwww Lordy!! Here I come JC!!

giphy.gif

Thanks for sharing Daniel!

No problem!

Fun fact: The drummer's my dad. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back