flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 8, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #11,056 of 39,414
@davidmolliere how is the dx200 with amp8? I've been thinking of getting a dap that can act as a USB DAC and the dx200 has piqued my interest

It's the best AMP for the DX200, AMP4/S and AMP5 were the previous top performers but really the discrete design of AMP8 (and AMP7 in SE btw) provides unprecedented power to a DAP and that means plenty of headroom and incredible dynamics. I think it does explain the better extension and control of bass, the sparkle of the treble (those hi hats have never been that good) and the massive soundstage expansion (wider but mainly taller and much deeper - layering takes such a leap). There are much more impressions on the DX200 thread, with a lot of insight but that how I would sum the major highlights

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #11,057 of 39,414
Different strokes for different folks. Yes very different, but both are keepers for me!

EE and Fourte 3.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #11,058 of 39,414
It's the best AMP for the DX200, AMP4/S and AMP5 were the previous top performers but really the discrete design of AMP8 (and AMP7 in SE btw) provides unprecedented power to a DAP and that means plenty of headroom and incredible dynamics. I think it does explain the better extension and control of bass, the sparkle of the treble (those hi hats have never been that good) and the massive soundstage expansion (wider but mainly taller and much deeper - layering takes such a leap). There are much more impressions on the DX200 thread, with a lot of insight but that how I would sum the major highlights
Thanks! How is it compared to mojo in terms of resolution and detail?

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #11,059 of 39,414
Thanks! How is it compared to mojo in terms of resolution and detail?

I had posted a quick comparison on the Empire thread with Mojo

I haven't purchased AMP7, I can only speak for AMP8.

AMP8 has much much bigger soundstage than Mojo, significantly wider but more important much much taller and deeper making for a more holographic listening experience. Not that Mojo is bad in that department, but just nowhere near the same level. AMP8 is as full bodied as the Mojo but there is much more air, separation is much better while remaining very lifelike and not artificial (which I don't like). You still get thick notes but with the air. I feel it's particularly important with the Phantom, it needs air from the source to really shine. Overall the presentation is much more layered, the sound is "richer". Black background I would say similar.

Bass on AMP8 have more detail, sub extends lower and it's better controlled, mid bass are leaner than Mojo everything feels more articulate there. Mids on Mojo are smoother but cleaner and more neutral on AMP8 but vocals are more forward and paradoxically smoother and more emotional with better texture and nuances. Highs, well, no brainer AMP8 has much better extension and just the right amount of sparkle. It's also faster across the frequency range. Last but not least while macro dynamics are not far apart, micro dynamics is better reproduced by AMP8 but that's also due to the treble advantage.

I'd say resolution and detail is on AMP8 side, mainly because of treble liveliness and also increased separation makes details more intelligible so to speak. More detail in the bass department doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #11,060 of 39,414
I had posted a quick comparison on the Empire thread with Mojo

I'd say resolution and detail is on AMP8 side, mainly because of treble liveliness and also increased separation makes details more intelligible so to speak. More detail in the bass department doesn't hurt either.
Thanks! you probably haven't tried it yet, but how does the dx150 compare with the dx200? if using the same amp module

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #11,061 of 39,414
Thanks! you probably haven't tried it yet, but how does the dx150 compare with the dx200? if using the same amp module

No I haven't heard the DX150 but there must be some comparison on its thread vs DX200 I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back