Empire Ears Legend X

1. PinkyPowers
    Weapons of Power and Myth
    Written by PinkyPowers
    Published May 21, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    Pros - God's Bass. Great clarity. Lush, smooth, and dynamic sound. Awesome cable.
    Cons - Price.
    LX 02.jpg

~::I originally published this on THL. Now I wish to share it with my Head-Fi fellows::~

:: Disclaimer ::
    Empire Ears provided the Legend X for a discounted price, for the purpose of my honest review, for good or ill.

Legend X sells for $2,299
    www.EmpireEars.com

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first EE product I heard was my Spartan Custom. Since then, I’ve also heard Zeus XR, and you know, it’s just impossible not to love these in-ears. They are phenomenally tuned, with state of the art tech and crossovers. The result is a sonic delight. I’ll not be content until I hear everything Jack and his team come up with.

I knew Jack was working on something new back when I turned in my design for Spartan’s shells. I understood it would replace a large portion of the old line-up. As is the way with these sorts of things, R&D lasted much longer than he anticipated, and the project evolved into something far grander.

Two entirely new lines of IEMs emerged:

The Empire Professional Series (EP), with EVR, ESR, and Phantom.

And the Empire X Series, representing the company’s foray into Dynamic Driver hybrids, with Bravado, Vantage, Nemesis, and Legend X.

Of course, before any of that, there were just two prototypes showing up at shows here and there. One was an all Balanced Armature design, and the other, a Hybrid. Jack knew my lust for bass, and had me slated for the hybrid. There was even talk, way back in August, of me helping with the R&D/tuning. Sadly, that fell apart before it began. Empire Ears was besieged by the workload. So I waited… like everyone else.

Then Nic (Flinkenick) laid out the whole grand plan, giving a breakdown of each IEM in the line-up. Turns out, the hybrid I was slated for became a mid-range item, and a new flagship sprung into existence during the preceding months. Nic talked me into upgrading my order for the flagship, swearing it would not disappoint. So I sent my designs, which he passed on to Jack.

The grueling wait began. A wait which seemed much longer due to my early knowledge of EE’s development. In reality, after the order went through, it was only a few weeks. But **** reality! Pinky had been starved for months and months, feeding vicariously off the morsels Nic let fall during his time with the prototypes.

Finally, at long last, this happened:

Unboxing 01.jpg
    Unboxing 02.jpg
    Unboxing 03.jpg
    Unboxing 04.jpg
    The Empire Ears Legend X is a 7-driver hybrid. That’s right. A flagship with less than 10 drivers! ****, we’re talking half the drivers of their last flagship. What is the industry coming to?! Well, I’ve spoken with a number of the major companies innovating today, and most express dissatisfaction with the Driver War they’ve found themselves fighting these last few years. Even those who’ve done well in the fight understand the futility of it. They’ve begun looking for ways to deliver more for less.

EE, for example, has achieved true greatness with its 7 drivers. 5 Balanced Armatures: 2x for Mids, 2x for Highs, and 1x for Super High. And a bad mother******* twin dynamic driver setup for bass response called Weapon IX (W9). To complicate things further, LX utilizes a 10-way crossover system called SynX. Just how 7 drivers can have a 10-way crossover is beyond me. I’ve heard it explained, how each driver can have more than one crossover, and I still can’t quite grasp the logistics.

Needless to say, Legend X is an elaborate sonofabitch.

Empire’s build quality is top shelf all the way. I’ve had my hands on three of their IEMs now, and always feel impressed by the immaculate craftsmanship. Though I must say, they’ve outdone themselves here. My LX is gorgeous! Even lovelier than the version I built with the IEM Maker on their website.

Fit took some getting used to. Empire used the same molds which produced my perfect-fitting Spartan CIEM, so I was confused when Legend X didn’t seat in the same fashion. LX is bigger, to accommodate more internals, but I figured it should fit more or less the same. Eventually I figured out how this particular Custom wanted to be inserted. I guess it’s different for every IEM. Since then, I’ve enjoyed perfect seal and wondrous comfort.

The new X and EP Series come equipped with the Effect Audio Ares II cable. A particularly liquid, clean, and robust OCC Copper Litz, which serves as a fine upgrade over any ordinary stock offering.

The Empire Ears Legend X is a superbly balanced, slightly warm piece, with lots of air, and a richness to end all others. For my tastes, this is the single best all-arounder. In that it does everything exceptionally well, but almost nothing at the very top level. Which means, it sounds amazing with all sorts of music, but there are IEMs which do specific things better. Yet nothing I’ve heard so far covers as many aspects as well as LX.

A carefully crafted U-shape gives Legend X a fun, live rock concert tuning. The bass dominates, the highs shine and twinkle, and the mids sit back a step on the stage. It’s full and powerful, yet surprisingly clear and detailed. A wealth of harmonic overtones fill out the music, giving life and body to the notes as they decay naturally.

Treble is beautiful. It’s one of my favorites I’ve heard to date. It extends so very far, has a hint of warmth about it, and possesses a rich, honey-like sweetness. There is a smooth, organic quality, though a decent amount of sparkle does add a little exaggeration.

LX’s highs use a linear path, with perhaps a gentle bump in the lower treble, for articulation. It’s emphasized just enough to ring with magic, but doesn’t come off bright or in any way harsh. Neither is it thin or cold. Indeed, it has thickness, and wholesome density. The treble ushers in plenty of light to avoid congestion or murk. You can really hear how clean and organized the stage is, and perceive a solid blackness behind the instruments. It does just enough, and no more. Empire exercised remarkable control here. The treble is special and delightful and never overstays its welcome.

In spite of being what the kids call “recessed”, Legend X’s vocals play a huge role in making this IEM so exceptional. They are full and weighty, warm, with a touch of lushness about them. But only a touch. For they are not woolly. Detail and enunciation are at a very high level. The artist comes through clear enough, but not in a lonesome way. Meaning, the voice is accompanied by the warmth of the music, particularly the bass, and does not feel isolated or separate. You don’t get the studio experience, where every element exists on its own track. No, you get the LIVE experience, where the music hits you like a wave; a single body of water.

LX & DX200 03.jpg
    Voices and mid-range instruments have moderate size and great note weight. They are spaced out with ample room to breathe. Richness and articulation walk hand-in-hand. So much depth and musicality complements a sharply defined image, with a tremendous sense of energy. Savage crunch imbues electric guitars, and realistic twang completes the acoustic presence. All of which is rendered in vibrant definition, where you can clearly mark the shape and boundaries of the instruments.

Legend X’s Weapon IX subwoofers put out teeth-rattling bass. Now, does that mean there’s too much bass? Not to me. Hell, in terms of quantity, I’ve heard more. But don’t get me wrong, LX is not neutral. Its low-end is carefully emphasized. You must be careful, because these drivers can kill a moose. Empire paid close regard to balance here. Show off the twin DDs, but rein them in before someone loses an eye.

They strike like a ballpeen hammer, and decay at decent speed… for a DD. Sophisticated detailing and deep layers provide the texture, while angry rumble gives voice to Empire’s hellish tech. Sub-bass bellows loudest, with mid-bass a tad quieter. This results in tighter low-end and less bloom. However, this control is not absolute. A reckless grandiosity allows for a pleasant degree of blossom. It bleeds into the vocals the perfect amount for lush timbre, but never so much as to cloud matters.

Soundstage is very wide indeed. Among the best I’ve personally heard. It seems to stretch passed the confines of the skull with ease. Depth is also superior to most TOTLs out there, creating glorious immersion as you fall through the layers. Height is about average. Nothing to get excited over. It’s sufficient to make the stage feel natural, which helps you get lost in it, but the stage is far from cubical. LX does a fantastic job at imaging, rendering with accuracy every possible position. This solidifies the coherency of the presentation. You feel confident in the recreation, utterly buying into it. Legend X portrays a highly resolving, sharp picture, well deserving of its status as a flagship for the likes of Empire Ears. It’s surprisingly precise, given how smooth and musical LX is. Another boon of the skillful balancing act, I suppose. Separation is also aided by this, for you can cleanly spot every element all across the stage, including ones layered depth-wise. It’s an impressive achievement, and awesome to behold.

LX 03.jpg
    Comparing two flagship hybrids from two of the top companies is just too irresistible. The 64Audio tia Fourté ($3,599, Review HERE) is just as unusual an innovation as Legend X. Fourté uses three types of driver technologies. BA, DD, and tia. LX uses, BA, W9 subwoofers, and SynX crossovers… and let’s not forget A.R.C damping. They both deserve their status as cutting edge TOTL products.

The first thing you notice when switching from LX to Fourté is a massive increase in clarity and air. The roof opens up, and you are suddenly in a sky-lit sports arena. Soundstage is a little wider, but much taller. Depth is about the same, being one of LX’s great strengths.

LX & DX200 01.jpg
    It is obvious you are hearing more treble. Not just in dBs, for there is a slight increase there, but in extension. It goes on forever, creating so much light and air it feels like the parting of rainclouds. However, the highs are thinner and less sweet. More ethereal and less harmonic. Fourté manages all this treble in a smooth, non-fatiguing manner. On the plus side, everything comes off more transparent and clear. On the negative, you lose warmth and musicality.

Fourté’s vocals are larger and closer to you, seeming freer and unbridled. Hell, all the instruments are larger, on a stage that is grander. They sound more vivid and detail-oriented. I’m not of the opinion Fourté is especially thin, when taken on its own. Some IEMs sound thin no matter how long you listen to them. Fourté is balanced in such a way that it actually sounds rather natural… until you compare it to something like Legend X. LX is fulsome of body, with greater note weight. Its warmth and power makes Fourté seem a little lackluster. But only when making direct comparisons. A few minutes of listening, and Fourté shines again. It’s all relative, as both are tuned expertly for their desired purpose.

You might think, given the dynamic drivers both Fourté and LX use, that bass might be the great equalizer of these two IEMs. Not so. Their lows are so very different. Starting with quantity: LX has more across the whole spectrum. Its sub-bass strikes with even greater visceral impact. Mid-bass, also, has heavier presence. In comparison, Fourté sounds cleaner and tighter. Far more controlled. LX is like a demonic sex gimp: absolutely frothing with NEED and pent-up energy. Fourté’s low-end tends to stay in its place, adding very little color to the rest of the presentation. While LX adds weight and warmth and overtones to everything, mids and treble alike. Although Fourté exhibits that naturalistic DD tone and physicality, LX outdoes it in all ways, showcasing superior texturing and detail. Not to mention that guttural rumble. For my tastes, there is no question; Legend X is Lord of the Bass Region.

LX 06.jpg
    tia Fourté shows its prowess in other areas, of course. I’ve yet to hear another IEM match it in resolution, micro-detailing, separation, or holographic dimensionality. Legend X competes admirably, especially in dimensionality and resolution, but there is no denying the winner here.

Choosing a favorite is less about quality and more about signature preference. Both tia Fourté and Legend X do their thing like no other. That said, I have found myself utterly enamored with LX, to the extent I must admit it’s become my new favorite. I lose a little of that technical expertise, but not enough to make me feel guilty for siding with the sheer, mad musicality of Empire’s beast.

Unfortunately, I’m short on TOTL IEMs to which to compare LX. I wanted to write about the FIBAE ME by Custom Art, but that is currently back in Poland for a refit. I could do Noble Audio Kaiser Encore, but tia Fourté is basically Encore Ultra, so I’d be repeating myself there.

So why not make an Empire Ears comparison, with the Spartan IV CIEM ($749, Review HERE)?

Spartan is neutral with a capital N! Everything is in harmony, resulting in a linear, smooth signature, which excels at clarity and air.

Treble is well extended, and a touch brighter than Legend X. Yet bright is not the defining character here. I’ve always celebrated Spartan’s liquid, natural highs. They reveal well, but are not sharp or harsh. They are a little thinner than LX, and less syrupy.

Vocals don’t have anywhere near the same weight and density of LX. They have less body and warmth and sit more neutral on the stage. Note size is about the same, though. They come off a little less energetic and more relaxed. While they are quite articulate, they have a ways to go before Spartan catches Legend X’s mid-range.

LX 05.jpg
    Bass is properly neutral. Meaning it is not lacking, but it’s also not trying to draw your attention. For BAs, it has great extension, achieving good lower-bass, and a natural upper-bass hump for realistic tonality. Needless to say, LX’s Weapon IX woofers destroy Spartan. There is simply no comparison. Spartan is like a kitten trying to play with a lion. Extension, texture, timbre, presence… LX is infinitely superior.

Spartan also falls short in soundstage. Only in height does it seem to match LX. Imaging is more or less perfect. But separation, resolution, layering, etc… LX dominates in a big way.

I feel I need one more comparison. And I have one which actually provides a lot of the very same things I love in Legend X. The IMR Acoustics R1 (around $700, Review HERE) is a powerhouse in bass, with remarkable clarity, soundstage, and resolution.

Treble is tunable, but always thinner and brighter than LX. It has amazing extension, which lets in more air and light. But it doesn’t have LX’s rich treble timbre. Lots of detail comes through, nearly as much as LX. Where the R1 loses the most ground is with the coldness which permeates these highs. LX is warmer and sweeter.

Vocals possess brilliant transparency. They manage great separation from the other instruments, helping the perception of layering. LX’s vocals feel much more part of the music, making for a greater sense of cohesion. R1 renders detail and texture with skill, but the mids lack body and a sense of energy. LX has gobs of body and energy.

Bass is R1’s greatest strength. It’s nearly Legend’s equal. In fact, before I heard LX, the R1 jumped to the top of my list of most impressive IEM bass. It’s so full and dynamic. Detail and resolution are out of this world. Extension is fathomless. And you can tune it with filters to just about any quantity, including one that is quite a bit heavier than LX delivers. To be honest, I can’t even say with 100% certainty that LX has better quality lows. I think I like better, but on merely a technical level, R1 is so amazing, it may be Empire’s equal.

R1 does beat LX in soundstage. Dynamic drivers have to really **** up to fall behind Balanced Armature in this arena. It’s probably the tubes that do it. DDs are so much more open and natural-sounding. R1 is wider, and insanely taller. Depth, however, is more or less the same between these two. Resolution goes to LX, but not by much. R1 is outstanding. Separation… probably R1’s win. Despite the profound difference in price, IMR Acoustics has created a frightfully vicious competitor.

LX 01.jpg
    Thanks to the adroit tuning Legend X sports, you shan’t easily find a bad source with which to pair this IEM. LX is neither overly warm nor overly bright, and therefore a source is unlikely to push it too far in either direction. Furthermore, it is already endowed with phenomenal bass, and equally phenomenal resolution. So your source doesn’t need to help it where it’s weak. As I said early on, Legend X has no weaknesses; it’s the strongest all-arounder I’ve come upon.

So? ****ing don’t worry about tuning. Just feed these buggers the best juice you can, and bask in the moisture-inducing audio.

LX & DX200 02.jpg
    To that end, I use the DX200 with AMP4 module by iBasso ($899 + $199, Review HERE). It’s my current reference player. Unreasonable levels of detail, and raw, resolving power. The enormous soundstage is intensely real in depth and spatial reproduction. Transparency is off the charts. Simply put, it’s the best I own. And Legend X deserves the best. It scales like a champ and will thank you for every ounce of performance you can muster. For an IEM which does everything well, a DAP with these sorts of abilities makes a truly magical pairing.

My previous reference DAP, the Opus#2 ($999, Review HERE) is nearly as fulfilling for LX. It has the peculiar trait of being unrelentingly natural of tone. It just sounds true. Note weight, dynamics, bass, mids, and treble… all feels absolutely correct. And real. The soundstage is quite large, in the most effortless way possible. Detailing and resolution are among the best you’ll ever find, yet it conveys its virtues humbly, without conceit. This makes for a lovely counterpoint to LX, who is rife with ego and showmanship. Opus gives these IEMs a grounded platform upon which Legend X can dazzle and confound.

LX & Opus2 01.jpg
    LX & N5ii 01.jpg
    The Cayin N5ii ($369, Review HERE) is perhaps the greatest bang for your buck player out today. It’s feature-rich and sounds tremendous. Performance-wise, it is not far off from the TOTL DAPs I’ve mentioned. Soundstage is huge, and it renders dimensionality better than most. It is so good, in fact, when I connect Legend X, I sense no mediocrity or lack. Cayin sounds refined, and complete, and so does Legend X.

How about a warmer, thicker sound, with a crap-ton of features, excellent build, and proper mid-tier price and performance? The iBasso DX150 ($499) fits that bill to a T. It takes the fun musicality of Legend X and adds mescaline. This setup is wild. Smooth and robust, rich, and dripping with gooey goodness. Might be too warm, or lacking detail for some. But if you desire less of a reference player and more of a rockbox, this is my recommendation.

LX & DX150 01.jpg
    Cables. Cables? Cables! What’s to be said about them? Well, finding the right cable is less about spending the most, and more about spending the wisest. Depending on what you want to do to the monitor—and all cables do something—you may get away with a fairly simple copper, and still achieve an upgrade.

However, that’s not likely to occur in this case, because LX already ships with a truly wonderful cable which would amount to a noteworthy upgrade in any normal situation. If you want better than Ares II, get out your ****ing wallet!

Effect Audio Thor Silver II Bespoke 8-Wire: Right now, of the cables I have on-hand, this is my favorite with LX. And it just came in yesterday! It unchains the beast in terms of power, dynamics, and bass impact, widens the soundstage, blackens the background, and increases clarity. All this without brightening the highs, so it remains silky to the very end. But oh my, treble is given extra headroom. The extension and air is fabulous.

plusSound Exo Tri-Copper: This was my favorite until last night. Tri-Copper beefs up all of Legend X’s most incorrigible habits. Sub-bass and mid-bass get boosted, vocals thicken, treble warms, and the whole tone gains weight and aggression. It’s a joyous experience, but not especially refined.

Effect Audio Leonidas: Now this is refined. So mature, and well-mannered. Leo brings a thoroughly controlled, liquid quality, where clarity and transparency are at an all-time high and dimensionality expands to new territories. Treble is extended, and air is increased. But honestly, I think Thor II 8-wire may have it beat even in this.

Effect Audio Thor II 4-Wire: If you want the Leonidas sound, but for half the price, Thor II gets you most of the way there. It is liquid-y. It is refined. Clear as a bell, with tight, controlled lows. Treble is better extended than Ares II, but not quite as free and airy as Leo, and certainly not on the level of 8-Wire Thor. Yet both 4 and 8-wire share that unique treble warmth which defies tradition for silver cables.

This was an easy review to write. The Empire Ears Legend X, slowly, over the course of the last month, grew in my heart until it usurped tia Fourté as my new favorite earphone. I’ve always known my tastes lean towards the warm and musical, but Fourté won the crown by wielding unparalleled technical might. It took the dark sorcery of Legend X to bring me home. I needed the world-class clarity, detail, and resolution, but I so desperately hungered for earth-shattering bass, lush tonality, and sweet, honeyed highs. Legend X is the complete package. How could it not take the throne?

The King is dead! Long live the King!

-~::Pinky_Powers::~-

LX 04.jpg
      Cagin likes this.
  2. SeeSax
    Empire Ears Legend X: The Incredible Hulk
    Written by SeeSax
    Published May 8, 2018
    Pros - Bass of incredible control, depth and power, detailed and natural mids, articulate but smooth treble
    Cons - Driver flex, case is tricky with larger cables
    Intro & Me: Does anyone actually read this part? Does anyone actually care about who I am? Didn't think so. Well, a few words anyhow! I have made a lot of friends on these forums by doing two things consistently: giving my unapologetic, honest opinions of gear and managing to get my cute dog in the photos of my IEMs/cables/gear. I love a wide array of sound qualities, musical genres and gear and writing a review of fantastic audio hardware such as the Empire Ears Legend X comes naturally (and eagerly) for me. That said, I have nearly zero ability to articulate the technicalities of sound equipment. Instead, I will do my best to explain how these wonderful IEMs sound to my ears, how they compare to other IEMs in my collection and generally how they respond to a wide variety of music that I listen to on a daily basis. I hate to give a spoiler so early on, but these have impressed me so much that I inadvertently sold another pair of IEMs that many people probably would have wanted me to compare these to. Oops! On that note, I purchased these directly from Empire Ears, albeit it at a partial discount, with my own hard-earned money.

Test Equipment: As far as sources go, a majority of my listening was done on my desktop Gustard A20H DAC/amp combo via the balanced output. This has dual AK4497 DACs and is on the musical side rather than clinical, but it does produce very high amounts of clarity and detail while having tons of headroom to drive a wide variety of headphones. For portable sources, I primarily use the AK70 mk2, as well as my DX200 with the Amp3 balanced module. All testing was done via 2.5mm balanced connections. Music was streamed via Tidal HiFi (FLAC, or "Master" where available) and this is consistent with my daily listening habits.

Ordering, Accessories, Tips, Packaging: Unlike many other IEM makers who will remain unnamed, Empire Ears has a nice, functional web page for ordering with some great visuals of their various offerings. Throughout the process of shopping, checkout and delivery of the IEMs you can expect a smooth process with no guesswork of what you will receive or when you will receive it. I mention this because sometimes cutting-edge equipment is actually fairly difficult to order and even harder to know when you will receive it. Once my Legend X arrived, I was extremely impressed with the packaging and accessories on offer in the box. Granted, this is my first pair of Empire Ears IEMs, but I have purchased many-a-TOTL pair and this is up there with the best as far as presentation goes. The case, for example, is engraved with my name and upon first sight, I screamed in joy so sharply that my wife thought our one-year-old son had fallen out of his crib. Nope, it was just me Babe! Included are the highly-regarded Final Audio tips, a cleaning cloth/tool and to my surprise, a very high quality Effect Audio Ares II cable. Seeing such a high quality "stock" cable quickly reminded me that these really are a serious offering.

20180323_141825.jpg

20180322_222636.jpg

20180322_222714.jpg

20180322_222938.jpg

Fit and Cable: I mentioned the cable, so let us start there. Effect Audio and Empire Ears have recently partnered and it is great to see such a nice cable included with these IEMs. Not only is the Ares II highly-regarded for its sound quality, but it is one of the softest, most supple and comfortable cable I have used. There is nothing worse than taking a pair of TOTL IEMs out of the box and learning that they come with the same cable as the $200 entry-level model (Earsonics, I am looking at you!). The cable has very comfortable bends around the ears with no memory wire and again, it is extremely flexible, lightweight and exhibits zero microphonics. This is a big win.

20180322_223337.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180426155820488_COVER.jpg

Moving on to fit, the elephant in the room (or in your ears in this case) is that these are massive IEMs in size (and sound, but more on that later!). They are, however, extremely lightweight and ergonomic. Too often do folks assume big, bulky IEMs will not be comfortable. Once I found the right sized tip and got these planted in my ears, I discovered that they can be left there for hours with zero discomfort. They are just so comfortable, despite their size, that I do not believe many people will experience any issues with fit or comfort. I applaud this effort because I do get the impression that a lot of thought went into designing the shape of these. It is no small feat to cram two dynamic drivers and five balanced armatures into a shell that you actually want to wear, so high-five to you Empire Ears!

Sound Signature: Without measurements or frequency graphs, my ears tell me that these fall somewhere in the V-shaped category which is fine by me. That said, you aren't going to find super exaggerated bass or super sparkly treble missing mid-range impact. Instead, everything is just done well. The bass is the star of the show, but I'll get to that as we dive into each range. The IEMs are extremely musical, very detailed and while I've said this about certain other IEMs, no other has managed to make me say with such confidence that I can listen to these all day long.

Bass: Again, the star of the show, but not in the traditional sense. I had high hopes for the dual dynamic drivers, yet at the same time I was slightly concerned that they would be overly bassy. My concerns were not only unfounded, but I quickly realized that this is some of the most controlled and impactful bass I have ever heard. Think of the bass as energetic and forward, while reaching extremely low (lowest I've heard, in fact) and never becoming muddy. It just sounds different. I love bassy IEMs and am never turned off by slow, "analogue-like" bass, but these don't have that. Instead, these have bass that is like a race horse ready to be let out of the gate in a precise, tuned manner. You can hear it, always, waiting and waiting to let loose until the music calls for it. It doesn't muddy any music and it doesn't ever become too much, but you know it's there. It reminds me of when I drove my friend's Nissan GTR in that it was so civilized and drove like a normal car, but when you mashed the gas pedal it was like an explosion of power ripping the asphalt in half. Then when it's done, you pull onto your 25mph suburban side street and all is normal again. Until you hit the throttle again, that is. I cannot overstate how much I love the lower frequencies on this IEM. In fact, I find myself awake at night worried that bass this good will become illegal and I will have to give them up to the authorities. Seriously, a terrifying thought. A test track I like to use for bass is "Why So Serious" by Hans. If you scroll to about 3:15 in the song, you'd better have your seatbelt on and be ready for what is to come. It is horrifyingly deep, authoritative and I'm pretty sure it just took several years off my hearing abilities. And I will do it over and over.

Mids: I feel bad for the mid-range. It's like the damn-good athlete that has to run a lap around the track behind Usain Bolt. He may be the fastest runner in his class or school district for that matter, but how do you stand out when an Olympic runner just got finished making his move before you? That said, the mids are warm, smooth, lush and overall have a nice thickness to the vocals that are very pleasing to the ears. You'll hear that thick, crunchy electric guitar here and emotional male/female vocals. The mid-range actually contributes to the musicality of this IEM in a big way, giving a euphoric tone and spicing up stringed instruments very nicely. It's a pretty epic showing for a V-shape IEM where clearly bass is the star, so I think this is another check in the box of incredible tuning by Empire Ears.

Treble: Being somewhat of a treblehead, I think the treble has a decent amount of sparkle. I would welcome a bit more, but not at the cost of unsettling the wonderful bass and mid-range. In other words, it's just right. I think for most people, even those sensitive to trelbe and sibilance in general, there is a lot to love here. Again, musicality is the key and you can't have a super musical IEM that also has ear-piercing treble. It's a nice, extended treble that reaches high and has very good decay. Playing electronic music on these IEMs yields a very tasty treat, which quick and precise treble keeping everything tidy and coherent. That bass does slightly take your attention away, but if you give yourself an ounce of a nudge to really listen and appreciate the treble, you will hear that it's doing its job perfectly. Let me mention again, these attributes mean I can listen to this IEM all day long.

Vocals: I touched on this in the mid-range a bit, but let's go a little deeper. I'm an unapologetic lover of modern pop country music and one of my go-to favorite songs is Easton Corbin's "A Girl Like You." Singing through these IEMs, there is so much clarity and precision while still being emotional and not cold in any way shape or form. When I think about something like the Dita Dream (which I'll compare with further down), the Legend X gives the vocals so much more life to the vocals and while I don't think vocals are super forward, I just think they sound damn good. On the female side, and in keeping with my addition to modern pop country, Carrie Underwood shuts down the show. There's a lavish quality that makes you feel like you're in the room with the singer and it's so enjoyable. Female vocals sound every so slightly overpowered by the mid-bass, but that is only on certain tracks and given how great that bass is, it's a very small tradeoff that I am more than willing to make.

Soundstage, Separation & Timbre: If you have read any of my other reviews, I have not been shy about pointing out that I am an idiot when it comes to measuring soundstage. Well, I am happy to report that the Legend X has come to my aid and actually made it slightly easier for me to describe the various stages that this IEM portrays (a win in and of itself!). On a few of my test tracks recorded with binaural microphones, I noticed immediately how wide the stage was. Certain attributes of tracks are so clearly defined, yet you can tell that they are very distant on both sides. This was sort of what made me understand what it means when someone says an IEM has a wide soundstage. I could picture members of the band and where they stood, clearly defined. Depth seems to be similarly portrayed, although not to the extent of the left/right extension. Height, sorry, couldn't tell you. But what I can say about soundstage is that I got a very clear picture in my head of where everything was and it overall added to the sepration of instruments. Sometimes I use the term separation synonymously with detail, but in this case not only can I hear the clear separation of instruments, but I can also hear loads of micro-details on each track. Detail is sometimes associated with reference tuning, but not here. Musicality with this much detail is just another factor that makes these IEMs incredible to listen to. As far as timbre goes, well this is a V-shaped IEM after all and I think that may be somewhere that the Legend X doesn't slaughter its competitors. I briefly owned the Phantom and while I much prefer the Legend X based on what suits my style of listening and preference, it was ahead in timbre.

Comparisons: For better or worse (worse if you ask my wife), I have owned a lot of TOTL IEMs throughout the years. For the better, I am able to compare the Legend X to some other popular IEMs that buyers may be considering. Let's dig in!

Rhapsodio Zombie: I think the only thing the Zombie and Legend X have in common is that they're hybrid designs. While both also exude monstrous bass, they do so in a completely different fashion. Where the Legend X is precise, tight, punchy and controlled, the Zombie gives off that analogue, slow, relaxed feeling. If you read my Zombie review, you know that I am a huge fan of the sound and while it's not going to win any awards technically for being a "reference" IEM, it's just good old-fashioned fun to listen to. In some ways, the Legend X feels like a grown-up, more mature version of the Zombie. Bass is actually deeper and harder hitting on the Legend X, but the huge mid-bass on the Zombie makes it sound like the bassier IEM. The mid-bass bleeds into the mids a bit on the Zombie, but that gives the vocals are very warm, lush sound and while they're not forward, they're soft and rounded. The Legend X is technically better here with a more natural timbre, but I love them both for these differences. I would say the treble is less sparkly on the Zombie and overall more relaxed, while the Legend X's treble sparkle is pretty fantastic. Given the different sound signatures of these IEMs, I would nto really declare a winner and just say that if you like a slow, relaxed, "analogue" sound then the Zombie has it. If you listen to a wide genre of music, appreciate monstrous sub-bass that is very controlled (and who doesn't?) with very natural mids and the perfect blend of treble sparkle and extension, then I have to say the Legend X is your trophy here. Well that's not entirely true, in the looks department the Zombie is the trophy :)

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180508092439405_COVER.jpg

Dita Dream: Even more contrasting than the Zombie is the Dita Dream. I think literally the only similarities here are that they're both freaking expensive and contain a dynamic driver, but you already know that. Starting with the sub-bass, the Dream is praised for a very controlled, tight sub-bass rumble and I agree that it has that. For quantity, though, it's more on the leaner side and the Legend X easily outshines the Dream for me when it comes to my preferred bass representation. While they both reach low, the Legend X seems to just go deeper and deeper and never come across a note that it cannot hit with ease. The Dream is dryer in the mid-bass as well, making it sound cold in comparison. Clarity and detail are extremely high with the Dream, but it is not as enjoyable to listen to for me. Mid-range, the same applies: you have a very natural mid-range with the Legend X and while it is not recessed on the Dream, it is fairly cold and without the "emotion" you get on other IEMs. I'm not trying to say the Dita is losing in any way; it has been tuned this way on purpose and it achieves its excellent technical prowess from that very tuning, but for me I love the way the Legend X sounds with it's musical emphasis. Moving along to the treble, I do actually like the amount of sparkle on the Dream and wish the Legend X just had a tad more than it does. Many will find the Dream to be overly-bright, however, so again this really speaks to personal preference. At the end of the day, the Legend X puts a huge grin on my face every time I listen to it and the Dream only does once in a while.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180508092609331_COVER.jpg

Earsonics S-EM9: Ah, the S-EM9. I keep coming back to this pair of IEMs. They're older now, they don't have a dynamic driver, the nozzle design is the worst thing since the Ford Pinto and the cable that comes with them is undeserving of a barnyard animal chewing on it. But dang if I don't love them for what they are. Starting with the sub-bass, the Legend X has a much more pronounced rumble. The S-EM9 keeps everything neat, clean, but still has emphasized sub-bass, although it does not reach as deep. The mid-bass is similar in that the sub-bass is the star of the show and nowhere near that presence of the Zombie. The mid-range on the S-EM9 is a bit recessed in comparison to the Legend X, although again the S-EM9 has this clean, musical, but still technical ability. Pop music really shines through the S-EM9 and when you get up to the higher frequencies, I think the S-EM9 shows its magic and takes on the Legend X. I prefer the treble on the S-EM9 (or to any other IEM, bar none, for that matter), but that sub-bass of the Legend X is not only addictive, but it makes me forget any other minor complaints I have. This one is another tough call because they're so different. Someone preferring a U-shaped sound with incredible precision and speed for electronic music will likely prefer the S-EM9, where someone listening to a wide variety of music and craving that massive bass slam will undoubtedly want the Legend X.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180508093155985_COVER.jpg

Unique Melody Mason II: The Mason II holds a very, very special place in my heart for reasons that have nothing to do with its sound quality. So it's almost not fair here because I will never say a bad word about the Mason, but at the same time it's the only IEM I own that is actually MORE expensive than the Legend X. These prices are silly, folks, just silly. Anyway, the Mason II (not the Mason V2, this is the Japanese version) has 12 balanced armature drivers and no dynamic driver. Bass impact is great on the Mason, but it is tighter and a little leaner than the Legend X. The Legend X, as I have mentioned approximately 6,000 times now, has that insane bass slam and it makes the Mason II sound lighter on the bass in an A/B comparison. The tuning of the Mason II is more realistic, I would say, with an overall signature that just sounds natural from top to bottom. It has a more realistic timbre than the Legend X, but again I will say the Legend X is more fun. Mids are a bit more laid back on the Legend X and slightly more forward on the Mason, but it's not a night/day difference. Treble sparkle for me is actually similar on the two, which is a good thing. The choice comes down to whether or not you prefer a natural but still fun and musical tuning of the Mason, or the havoc that the dual dynamic drivers will undoubtedly wreak on the Legend X. Honestly, and yes I am biased here, if I could only have one pair of IEMs (oh, the horror of that thought), it would probably be the Mason II because it is such a wonderful all-rounder.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180508093049011_COVER.jpg

Cables, continued: Cables are always an interesting topic and it's sort of a new thing for me to comment on them in a review. I'll do my best here to offer up some meaningful thoughts on which cable(s) pair best with the Legend X and how they affect the sound. Non-cable believers, well, the door is over there...

Stock: The included Ares II with these IEMs is a great cable and one of the best you'll find in the box other than on the Dita Dream. I would also put it up there with the Pandora Dwarf that came with the Zombie as far as build quality and ergonomics. It's soft, supple, VERY comfortable and overall presents a natural and smooth sound on the Legend X. I think this pairing works well and was a smart choice by Empire Ears, but I quickly got tempted to try others as you can imagine.

Effect Audio EOS X Ms: A slightly re-done and more expensive version of the Ares II, I preferred this cable due its transparency, sparkle and natural tone. It has the same ergonomics and great build quality of the Ares II, but has slight internal upgrades and it's a very nice choice. It is, however, discontinued now so get one while you can. I would say that overall the Ares II is an ever-so-slightly warmer cable across the board, but the EOS gives that slight edge in transparency which I always expect of cable upgrades.

Effect Audio Thor Silver II+: I thought this was going to be my go-to pairing as a monstrous IEM surely needs a monstrous, 22awg cable! Well, it might be, depending on the sound you are looking for, but for me it missed the mark a bit. While the transparency and detail of this cable are incredible, it is a very smooth cable that gives the impression of a relaxed sound. For me, I wanted to brighten up the Legend X slightly and I figured any silver cable would do that, but this made things a bit too relaxed. Also, I must mention that similar to Twister's findings, this cable did add quite a bit of sub-bass to the mix and the Legend X already has plenty of that. Cable changes are usually pretty subtle, but in the case of the Thor Silver II+ the difference is pretty noticeable in A/B comparisons. It's not a bad pairing, per se, but for me I wanted a bit more sparkle and I was definitely not asking for more bass.

Effect Audio Leonidas + Thor Silver II: This was my favorite pairing. I have a one-off "bespoke" version of the Leonidas that has two normal wires of Leonidas wires and two Thor Silver II wires. Ergonomics on this are absolutely outstanding and sound quality is among the best I have heard. This cable tightened up that sub-bass and kept everything tight and controlled. Separation and detail is perfect on this cable and unlike the Thor Silver I+, the treble sparkle was still there and even slightly enhanced. The cable just sounded "right" on these IEMs, as if they were made for each other. I am guessing the Leonidas would sound equally good, if not better than this cable.

Triton Audio Cables Triton8 Silver: David over at Triton Audio cables makes some incredible cables that will not hurt your wallet as much as some of the Effect Audio stuff, so I wanted to try one of my personal favorites: the Triton8 pure silver edition. This cable consists of 8 wires of pure silver and high-end Eidolic connectors. This is a very transparent cable, presenting tons of detail and overall a very pleasing sound signature. It has very tight bass impact, along with smooth but detailed highs. I found this pairing to be up there with the best of the other cables I have tried. It certainly looks the part and build quality is fantastic and I could very easily recommend this cable for the Legend X (and I haven't been shy about doing so in the past). If I didn't have the Leonidas + Thor Silver II, the Triton8 would be my preferred choice here.

Final Thoughts: It took me 4,000 words to get here, but I think it's obvious now what I think of these IEMs. I used to think that spending this much money on IEMs really does produce diminishing returns, but the Legend X have done the unthinkable and have made me realize that every once in a while, a game-changer really does come around. I have never heard anything like these IEMs and I remember, clear as day, the first time I put them on and thinking "holy ****!" It was that immediate, that profoundly, that I knew these had risen to another level than what I was used to. For years, IEMs have walked the line of "emphasized" or "controlled" bass, but now you do not have to choose one or the other. The Legend X bring incredible tuning, top of the line hardware and a beautiful package to the table and I applaud what Empire Ears have done. It's so easy to recommend these and heck, you probably don't even need my review in the first place. Just check the several-thousand page thread on Empire Ears and see what people are saying. They have built a cult following and it is through their listening and dedication to their users, their unwillingness to compromise on getting the absolute best sound and building products that can make people grin ear to ear. These are IEMs that you will form a bond, a special relationship with, and you will probably cry like a baby if and when you ever have to take them out of your ears. I don't know about you guys, but I am considering quitting my job, moving to a remote island and I'll just send a child-support check from time to time because seriously, there are not enough hours in the day to listen to these gems.
      Cagin, ezekiel77, cardeli22 and 17 others like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. deafdoorknob
      yup, the local dealer in hong kong suggested it, it kept the bass more controlled without thinning it out, and let the treble become more articulated and the mids focussed.
      deafdoorknob, May 8, 2018
  3. twister6
    The BASShead Audiophile!
    Written by twister6
    Published Feb 8, 2018
    Pros - the impact, the tonality, and the control of the BASS, the soundstage expansion, the natural transparency and resolution of mids, very compact shell design.
    Cons - beware of the BASS, driver flex.

The product (pre-production prototype with a final tuning) was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with my readers on head-fi.

Manufacturer website: Empire Ears. Also available from Euphoria Audio.

I will update the review with images when will receive a final production unit.

Intro.

It always makes me wonder what goes through manufacturer's mind after they release a new flagship. You can’t rest on your laurels for too long, and after a year or more, customers become anxious to see something new, something original, something worthy of their money for an upgrade or a side-grade. Not too long ago, Empire Ears were one of the first to introduce 14-driver flagship Zeus which added some oil to driver wars fire. Now, Empire Strikes Back (yeah, I wanted to use this phrase for a while!!!) with something new: 7-driver Legend X (LX) with a hybrid design of dual DDs and five BAs.

Multi-driver hybrids beyond a more common 3ways are not a shocker anymore, though dual DD hybrids are rare, especially for a custom model. But you need something more than just an impressive spec to stand out from the crowd, and you can guess that dual DD config can only lead to one thing – da bass!!! The bass can make or break the sound. It’s a beast with a power some IEM manufacturers struggle to control. Now, imagine mating it with BA drivers tuned for audiophile quality, and you get BASShead Audiophile IEM, which is the best way to describe LX. Empire Ears new line-up will have more models, in different price ranges, driver configurations, and sound signatures, but the focus of this review will be solely on Legend X and its performance.

Unboxing.

Since I only received the prototype model with finalized tuning, I don't have details about the final packaging, but was told to expect something similar to previous EE releases. I will update this section in the future, including pictures.

Accessories.

Just like with unboxing, I will have to update the Accessories section when I have a final production unit, but most likely you should expect a travel case, a cleaning tool, a selection of premium eartips if you have a universal model (EE has been featuring SpinFits in the past, but might use another brand name), and a premium Effect Audio Ares II cable.

I always point out the importance of eartips selection when dealing with universal IEMs. Eartips are responsible for a proper seal and isolation that plays a very important role in low end impact leading to tonal balance. With dynamic drivers, depending on venting of the shell, the seal can also play a role in driver flex, the click you hear when inserting IEMs in your ears due to an air pressure on the diaphragm of the driver.

Due to anatomy of my earcanal, I use only the largest eartips with all my universal IEMs. Here, I found that going one size smaller to a medium size helped relax the seal which nearly eliminated the driver flex, plus got the bass quantity to a more balanced level. In another observation, I found a wider bore eartips to enhance the bass, while narrow bore to attenuate it. For example, relative to my ears, I found SpinFit medium size narrow bore eartips to work the best for me, while large bore opening medium Spiral Dots to boost the bass quantity.

Eartips selection and fit is a subjective matter that will depend on your personal taste and ear anatomy, thus make sure to pay close attention and to experiment. Also, keep in mind, I can only comment about universal fit model I tested which allowed me to tip roll.

Also, I would like to add, even with Medium size eartips, I found LX to have a decent isolation.

Cable.

Legend X comes with premium wires, Effect Audio Ares II pure copper (UPOCC Litz Copper) brand name cable. This cable uses 26awg 4 conductors with a proprietary multi-size stranded design and a flexible insulation. The wires are very pliable and relatively lightweight. The plug is right angled gold plated Oyaide 3.5mm Single Ended. When placing the order, you will be able to select an upgrade with either 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced termination. Y-splitter and chin-slider are plastic, 3D printed. 2pin connectors are standard, universal, and you also have a pre-shaped flexible earhook shrink-wrap tube for a more secure fit.

I tested LX with many premium high-end cables, including EA Horus, PWA 1960 4wire, EA Lionheart, Whiplash TWau, HSA Aurora, EA Thor II+, and PlusSound X-series tri-metal. I found all these cables to tighten the sound and to have some level of improvement in resolution and transparency, but at the same time they lifted the bass up and made treble a little brighter. I welcome more airiness and resolution in treble, but preferred to keep the bass where it was with Ares II. I also tested it with both PWA No5 and HSA Zen, both pure copper cables on the same level as Ares II, but ended up going back to Ares II because other two lifted the bass.

Effect Audio Ares II is known to have a wider soundstage, nice sub-bass extension but less rumble and a touch less mid-bass impact with smoother and more revealing upper mids and treble in comparison to some other pure copper cables. With all that in mind, it pairs up quite well with LX. Of course, if you have other replacement cables, go ahead and experiment with different pair ups. Otherwise, there is no need to invest into more expensive cables unless you want to improve/increase the resolution and the quantity of the low-end impact.

Design.

As already mentioned, Legend X is a 7-driver hybrid, partitioned into 2 Dynamic drivers and 5 Balanced Armature drivers. Utilizing a proprietary synX Crossover Network to fine-tune and to control every single driver, you have custom W9 (Weapon IX) dynamic driver subwoofers taking care of sub-bass and mid-bass, and 5 proprietary custom BA drivers by Knowles and Sonion, split between mids, upper mids, and highs. Every new Empire Ears model will have their own custom synX Crossover design, corresponding to the number and the type of drivers.

Another piece of tech utilized in Legend X and all other new EE IEMs is A.R.C. resonance control technology. Its initials stand for Anti-Resonance Compound which is a proprietary coating that eliminates unwanted vibrations and resonance within IEM. This compound actually serves as a dampener to absorb the unwanted resonance.

Regarding the exterior design, all the models should be offered in custom and universal fits, with the ability to customize them the same way as the rest of EE models. I'm not posting pictures of my prototype model, just in case if there were some final shell adjustment, like the shape and the length of the nozzle. But one thing I was told that universal model design will remain in the same compact shell. Obviously, the shape of CIEM shell will depend on your ear impressions, while universal IEM will have a common compact shell design.

Also, based on the driver partitioning, there will be 4 sound tubes leading to a tip of the nozzle where you have 4 bore opening. Plus, a careful examination of the shell revealed 3 small pinhole vents on a side, most likely related to DD.

Sound Analysis.

Legend X tuning is catered to basshead audiophiles. I have used these two words in the same sentence before, but I haven't heard anything quite like this tuning in the past because many IEMs with enhanced bass usually compensate it with extra treble definition to balance the sound. As a result, you end up with a v-shaped signature where the quality of mids tuning is compromised. LX is different. While I still want to refer to it as v-shaped tuned, if you shift your focus to mids/treble, this IEM sounds like having a fully balanced signature with an enhanced bass impact.

Bass tuning is definitely the highlight of LX, where sub-bass doesn't just go deep but hits hard with a rumble you don't just hear but actually feel in your chest. We are talking about smooth textured analog quality visceral rumble you expect to hear from full-size floor-standing speakers, packed inside of a compact shell and delivered by dual DD. Mid-bass is also very authorative and hits hard, not too fast or two slow, with a medium speed attack and an average decay, giving the bass plenty of control while transitioning into lower mids. Relative to each other, the sub-bass and mid-bass are well balanced, and overall bass is not too tight or too sloppy, but it's always present. For those who prefer a neutral bass, or more focus on mids/treble without relying on EQ adjustment, you probably going to be overwhelmed by its quantity, though I can't imagine anybody complaining about the quality. The presence of the bass adds a nice deep low-end texture and body to the sound which works quite well with jazz, classical, acoustic, and vocal music genres. But once you play EDM/Club, Top40 Pop, R'n'B, or Hip hop - the bass drum will hit hard, like you have full-size speakers in your ears. But it's still well controlled, and that's what makes this bass unique, and quite responsive under EQ adjustment where 3dB cut around 60Hz can tone it down for those who want a more balanced sound signature (my personal preference).

Lower mids are neutral, maybe even south of it, being a little leaner than neutral, creating a nice cut around 1k for a better separation between bass and mids. LX doesn't sound like a typical hybrid IEM with incoherent separation of DD and BA drivers. Even with a bass boost, there is still some coherency in the transition. I guess it has to be attributed to crossover tuning because even with the enhanced bass quantity, I still find the transition into the mids and upper mids to flow in naturally. Mids have a rather natural revealing tonality with a good presence between 2k-6k which has a decent retrieval of details, excellent transparency, and a nice layering and separation of sounds. That is the reason why I'm having a difficulty calling LX as a v-shaped IEM because of the mids presence and quality. Mids are not thin or analytical, and don't shine with too much micro-details. But at the same time, they are not congested, or warm, or smooth like some other IEMs with enhanced bass. So, I would classify LX upper mids as naturally-revealing.

Treble has a very good extension, plenty of clarity and details without being fatigued. It has a nice level of airiness to let the sound breath, but it all done in a natural way without being too exaggerated or too crisp. Some v-shaped IEMs overcompensate by pushing the treble harder, while here you have a good balance. For example, the cymbal crash has a tail with a natural realistic decay without any premature roll off or too much harsh ringing. As I already mentioned, treble has a natural non-fatigued tuning, and a perfect tonal balance without been too smooth or too harsh.

Soundstage of LX is another element of tuning which stands one the moment you put these in your ears, due to their very wide left to right expansion. The soundstage depth is average, not too far out of your head, closer to the stage, creating a more intimate elliptical soundstage field around my head. With such expansion, the imaging of LX has a very good placement of instruments and vocals with a relatively accurate positioning where you can pin point every sound without a problem. At least for me personally, I found positioning of vocals and instruments to be very convincing.

Again, despite enhanced bass, the layering and the separation of the sound is very good. Because bass is under control, nothing spills into mids, and the higher resolution and the transparency of the mids and treble keep all the sounds easily distinguishable, never getting congested or muddy. Despite its power, I don't find the bass to be a distraction, I can shift my focus to mids, and the sound is still very resolving.

Comparison.

Here is how Legend X compares to some other IEMs.

Legend X vs Trio - While Trio has a wide soundstage, LX extends the width a little further; with staging depth, Trio extends further from the front stage while LX is a little closer and more intimate. While both are hybrids with a dynamic bass driver, LX sub-bass and mid-bass slam harder, at least 3dB more in quantity. Both have a well-controlled bass without spilling into mids which is impressive, especially in case of LX where low end has a stronger driving power. Lower mids are neutral in both IEMs, actually a little south of neutral in LX, which helps with separation of bass from upper mids and treble, and then LX upper mids continue with a natural detailed tonality where in contrast Trio upper mids are more forward, thinner, and brighter, as well as more revealing in comparison. The same difference carries over into the treble where Trio is brighter, with more crunch and airiness while LX has the same treble extension, but it sounds calmer, more controlled, less fatigue, and still well defined and with a nice level of sparkle. The biggest difference between these two is in the bass slam, especially sub-bass rumble where LX has an upper hand, and treble definition where Trio's TIA driver gives it energy, while LX sounds more natural and less crunchy in comparison.

Legend X vs UERR - I know it is totally crazy to compare 7-way hybrid with 3BA IEM, but I keep coming back to this comparison because of both having a natural tonality of mids/treble. Starting with a soundstage expansion, LX has more width while both have a similar depth. Also, no surprises here, LX is heavily dominating in sub-bass and mid-bass quantity, going deeper and slamming harder. With lower mids, LX is a little south of neutral, while UERR is north of it, giving a little thicker body to the sound. But starting from upper mids and through the treble extension - there is a lot of similarities in tonality due to their musical nature. I do have to give LX more credit where the retrieval of details is on a higher level while UERR is smoother, but with an exception of the bass, these have more in common when it comes to upper mids and treble.

Legend X vs Fourte - Finally, we have a soundstage expansion match, with both having nearly the same width and depth. Sub-bass extension and mid-bass slam is noticeably bigger in LX, while Fourte has a more neutral sub-bass and slimmer and faster mid-bass. Both have a similarly tuned lower mids, south of neutral, and from there going up the difference is again quite noticeable where Fourte upper mids and treble are a lot brighter, more revealing, more micro detailed, while LX is smoother and more natural in tonality, with a lot less crunch and airiness. LX and Fourte have a very different tuning, but I know many will be curious if there are any similarities, which I didn't find.

Legend X vs U12t - Here is another interesting comparison, including similarities. Starting with soundstage, LX is still wider, but U12t has more staging depth. With bass, the sub-bass rumble and mid-bass punch quantities are very similar, but the quality differs between a faster and tighter U12t bass vs more analog quality LX with a dual DD which is thicker, slower and more natural in comparison. With lower mids, U12t is a little thicker which gives the sound more body, while LX lower mids are leaner in comparison. Upper mids have a lot of similarities in tonality, though U12t is a little smoother and more forward in presentation, while LX upper mids are a little more revealing when it comes to detail retrieval, and have a more layered sound. Treble has a lot of similarities in tonality and presentation, with U12t having just a bit of an edge in a crunch and airiness.

Legend X vs W900 - Another great hybrid for comparison. Without surprises, LX delivers a wider soundstage, while W900 has a little more out of your head depth. Sub-bass rumble quantity and mid-bass slam are close, but LX bass feels tighter and better controlled. The control of the bass is especially noticeable when it comes to lower mids where W900 is thicker due to some spillage, while LX is south of neutral, being leaner. Upper mids and treble have a very similar tonality and presentation, but a different level of layering and separation where W900 sounds a little more congested while LX is more resolving. The biggest difference here is in the lower mids where W900 is thicker and more congested.

Legend X vs VEGA - The soundstage is wider in LX while VEGA has more out of your head depth. With bass, finally we have a pair of IEMs with even more sub-bass rumble and stronger mid-bass punch where VEGA has an upper hand in this comparison. Both have a below neutral leaner lower mids to accentuate the bass. Upper mids do vary with LX being more natural, more detailed, less fatigue. 6k peak is more dominant in VEGA which in some pair ups can make the sound harsh, LX is definitely more natural in comparison. Treble is also brighter and crisper in VEGA, versus being smoother and more natural in LX. While VEGA was considered before as one of my top recommendations for basshead audiophiles, I think now LX can challenge that status.

Pair up.

Here is how Legend X pairs up with various sources, all from balanced HO (I was using my own Ares II 2.5mm terminated cable), except M2S and LPG which are single ended. In every pair up I found No Hissing, regardless of output impedance of the source.

Cowon Plenue 2 - very wide soundstage; powerful bass slam with a deep sub-bass rumble; natural, detailed, resolving mids; well defined crisp treble with a natural brightness and airy extension.

Shanling M2S (5ohm output impedance) - wide soundstage; very powerful bass slam with a deep sub-bass rumble; smooth, detailed mids with a good resolution; well defined crisp treble, a little less airiness. Overall tonality is smoother and warmer.

Lotoo PAW Gold - very wide soundstage: powerful bass slam with even deeper sub-bass rumble and overall bass being tighter and faster; natural, detailed, very resolving mids with great transparency; well defined crisp treble with a little more crunch, more brightness, and more airiness.

Cayin N5ii - very wide soundstage; powerful bass slam with even deeper sub-bass rumble and overall bass being tighter and faster; natural, detailed, resolving mids; well defined crisp treble with plenty of crunch and airiness.

A&K AK120ii - very wide soundstage; overwhelming bass slam with a very deep rumble; natural, detailed, resolving, transparent mids; well defined crisp treble with a natural brightness and airy extension.

Hiby R6 (10ohm output impedance) - very wide soundstage; powerful bass slam with even deeper sub-bass rumble; very natural, detailed, resolving mids with great transparency; well defined crisp treble with plenty of crunch and airiness.

FiiO X7ii - very wide soundstage; powerful bass slam with a deep sub-bass rumble, overall bass is tighter and faster; natural, detailed, smooth mids with a good resolution; well defined crisp treble with a natural brightness and airy extension.

TheBit Opus#2 - very wide soundstage; powerful mid-bass slam with a deep sub-bass rumble, overall bass is tighter and faster; natural, detailed, smooth mids with a good resolution, but overall mids presentation is pushed a little back; well defined crisp treble, a little smoother, and still airy.

iBasso DX200 w/amp4 - very wide soundstage; powerful balanced bass with well controlled mid-bass slam and deep textured sub-bass rumble; very natural detailed mids with high resolution and transparency; well defined crisp treble with a natural brightness and non-fatigue airy extension. By far my favorite pair up.

Sony WM1Z - very wide soundstage; powerful mid-bass slam with a deep textured sub-bass rumble; very natural detailed resolving mids with a great level of transparency; well defined crisp treble with a natural brightness and non-fatigue airy extension. My 2nd favorite pair up.

Samsung Note 4 - wide soundstage; powerful mid-bass slam with a deep sub-bass rumble; natural, detailed, resolving mids with a decent transparency; well defined crisp treble with a natural brightness and a good airy extension.

Based on how I hear it, I found DX200 w/amp4 to have the best pair up, while WM1Z was 2nd best, just with a little more bass slam. Other pair ups were good too. Pair up with R6 and Plenue 2 was the most flexible due to their DSP effect which help to adjust the tonality.

Conclusion.

I’m already anticipating a question if Legend X and Phantom (another all BA new release from Empire Ears) will be the new EE flagships. I didn’t hear the Phantom yet, will do that at the upcoming CanJam NYC, but based on my understanding this is an all new product line, outside of their Olympic series where Zeus remains the reigning king. The sound signature of Legend X opens a door to audiophiles and audio enthusiasts with a guilty pleasure of extra bass without sacrificing the resolution, the transparency, and the detail retrieval of the mids or the sparkle and the airiness of the treble.

What I’m trying to say, Legend X has a well-controlled bass, with an overall tuning that will appeal not just to bassheads but other listeners. In many IEMs, boosting or cutting the bass, can ruin the spectral balance. With Legend X, I enjoyed the extra presence of the bass while listening to jazz, classical, instrumental, and vocal tracks where it gave more body to the sound, making it more natural, yet still resolving. Switching to EDM or any current Top40 Pop/Urban where the bass drum kicks in, you get a powerful low-end slam. And in some cases, I did have to apply a 3dB cut around 60Hz to attenuate the bass down, to bring the mids more forward. But that EQ cut didn’t affect the tonality of the mids, just their presentation. That’s what I think will make Legend X appealing to different listener, its unique tuning, its control of the sound, and its “legendary” bass.