flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 24, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #361 of 39,414
Thanks for sharing bud 
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like the midrange has a nice amount of body and density. That second upper treble peak looks interesting. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #362 of 39,414
hello everyone, not sure if it's okay to post a question here or not.
i have been thinking to move to one of the TOTL iem from my mid-fi adventure which seems has no end.
i have auditioned katana, K10, fitear 334, fitear 333, and JH roxanne so far, i have very little experience of TOTL iem.
while i didn't enjoy K10 so much, and cannot handle more than 5 minutes of roxanne demo unit (don't get me wrong it just really not my prefered signature, i'm sure lot of people out there enjoying their so much)

i really enjoy the katana and fitear 333, but from my memory the katana have a wider soundstage and better combination of technicality and musicality compared to fitear 333. do you have any recommendation for CIEM or any other TOTL IEM that have a sound signature like katana? for now i just cannot afford it, it's just too pricey for me right now and thinking maybe i have another option or at least i can get better with that price tag 

been reading the review of hidition NT6 pro and SE5 and its piqued my interest.
have anybody compared these IEM and mind to share the comparison?

thank you

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #363 of 39,414
i have been thinking to move to one of the TOTL iem from my mid-fi adventure which seems has no end.
i have auditioned katana, K10, fitear 334, fitear 333, and JH roxanne so far, i have very little experience of TOTL iem.
while i didn't enjoy K10 so much, and cannot handle more than 5 minutes of roxanne demo unit (don't get me wrong it just really not my prefered signature, i'm sure lot of people out there enjoying their so much)

i really enjoy the katana and fitear 333, but from my memory the katana have a wider soundstage and better combination of technicality and musicality compared to fitear 333. do you have any recommendation for CIEM or any other TOTL IEM that have a sound signature like katana? for now i just cannot afford it, it's just too pricey for me right now and thinking maybe i have another option or at least i can get better with that price tag 

thank you
seems you want the NT6.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #365 of 39,414

thank you

It is more than ok - I would hope that this is exactly the place to do so!

If you're looking for something very similar the Katana, the NT6pro would indeed be the closest thing as you and others have suggested. They have a very similar frequency response, with treble peaks in the 7 and 10 KHz range boosting their soundstage, clarity and sparkle. 

@andra555Indeed the NT6 could be an option,but it is not so easy to order. And if you are entering the higher price range you should start with universals. I would try the Prophile 8 if I was you. Neutral, spacious and musical. 450$ cheaper than Katana.

I emailed them once and got a reply, so it shouldn't be that difficult :wink: They are only made as customs though, if you don't mind that. I haven't heard the PP8, but I would imagine Katana to have more treble response.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #366 of 39,414
seems you want the NT6.

It is more than ok - I would hope that this is exactly the place to do so!

If you're looking for something very similar the Katana, the NT6pro would indeed be the closest thing as you and others have suggested. They have a very similar frequency response, with treble peaks in the 7 and 10 KHz range boosting their soundstage, clarity and sparkle. 

I emailed them once and got a reply, so it shouldn't be that difficult :wink: They are only made as customs though, if you don't mind that. 

now this really makes me lean toward NT6,   @average_joe said in the review that the NT6 has a ER4 sound like, i really love my ER4 but the sound is starting to to feel boring after a long period of use. in the end i tried many another IEM such as ue900s, sd2, flc8s,ex1000 but when i listen to ER4 again i get that "welcome home" feeling. maybe its just my sweet spot.

one more thing that i can't get off my mind is the fact that the NT6 is been around since 2012, i'm fully understand that the age of products doesn't have direct relation to it's quality, but part of me saying that maybe the newer contender will have a new technology and better quality to offer. i also have my eyes on samba and andromeda which is the newer product and from what i have read they also have a energetic and on the bright side type of sound. did anyone have the experience wih both of it?

@andra555Indeed the NT6 could be an option,but it is not so easy to order. And if you are entering the higher price range you should start with universals. I would try the Prophile 8 if I was you. Neutral, spacious and musical. 450$ cheaper than Katana.

ah yes, prophile 8!, how could i miss that, actually i got the info that store in my local area just received the demo for prophile 8 about two weeks ago, i haven't got a time to audition it, maybe i shoudl really try it and see how it performs. i really love the build quality and fit of the inear product it's just astounding. could you mind share a little bit about the switch option? did it really change the signature or just give a slight nice bump to the midbass area or sub-bass area? thank you

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #367 of 39,414
now this really makes me lean toward NT6,   @average_joe
 said in the review that the NT6 has a ER4 sound like, i really love my ER4 but the sound is starting to to feel boring after a long period of use. in the end i tried many another IEM such as ue900s, sd2, flc8s,ex1000 but when i listen to ER4 again i get that "welcome home" feeling. maybe its just my sweet spot.

one more thing that i can't get off my mind is the fact that the NT6 is been around since 2012, i'm fully understand that the age of products doesn't have direct relation to it's quality, but part of me saying that maybe the newer contender will have a new technology and better quality to offer. i also have my eyes on samba and andromeda which is the newer product and from what i have read they also have a energetic and on the bright side type of sound. did anyone have the experience wih both of it?

ah yes, prophile 8!, how could i miss that, actually i got the info that store in my local area just received the demo for prophile 8 about two weeks ago, i haven't got a time to audition it, maybe i shoudl really try it and see how it performs. i really love the build quality and fit of the inear product it's just astounding. could you mind share a little bit about the switch option? did it really change the signature or just give a slight nice bump to the midbass area or sub-bass area? thank you
The switch is just a slight mid bass and / or treble bump. I like the default sound so don't use them.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #368 of 39,414

now this really makes me lean toward NT6,   @average_joe said in the review that the NT6 has a ER4 sound like, i really love my ER4 but the sound is starting to to feel boring after a long period of use. in the end i tried many another IEM such as ue900s, sd2, flc8s,ex1000 but when i listen to ER4 again i get that "welcome home" feeling. maybe its just my sweet spot.

Well I understand your concern, when it comes to electronics the technology is rapidly developing. Smartphones, televisions - you wouldn't consider touching something that is 5 years old. However, despite the prices and competition in this hobby, this does not apply in the least to iems. With the exception of iems using new tech as the KSE1500, Audeze or oBravo iems which use planars or electrostat drivers, there has been almost no advancement in BA iems. The reason is that they almost all use the same drivers from Sonion or Knowles, and those haven't really progressed. 

In short, the NT6 or NTpro are at least as good as any new BA iems (I only have NT6pro though, haven't heard NT6). And that includes Samba and Andromeda. Samba actually shares a lot of similarities with NT6pro in its general presentation, the midrange and bass. NT6pro however is brighter, with more sparkle, while Samba is more reference. 

ps. @average_joe is the best, legend!

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #369 of 39,414
samba seems to be more like NT6 , if it's more reference since apparently NT6pro has boosted lows/highs (compared to NT6)

btw , if you go for the NT6 , spend a bit more and get the whiplash hybrid v3 cable -  i followed @Average Joe's recommendation and i am very happy i did so - it beefs up the mids while keeping the air and sparkle - great pairing.

i had many neutral/reference uiems like re-zero, re272, ck10 (it is my preferred signature i guess) and NT6 is in another ballpark

i do not have the experience that nic has (he is the ciem master here in a way) but from all the stuff i tried/owned , if you like a TOTL reference sound without having to spend 2000$ , NT6 is definitely a winner

good luck with your search , sorry for your wallet 

btw i am trying to save up to buy se5 ult / EE zeus xr 
rolleyes.gif
 , still a long way from there so patience

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #371 of 39,414
Any possibility of JH audio products getting up there? I'd say the JH16v2/Layla/Angie are all top contenders of the JH line.

I think he's mentioned before there isn't, but there's two more unannounced slots so anything can happen.

Or we could start a fund for Nic...

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #374 of 39,414
  Can the Ocharaku or Oriolus be there on the list too? I feel like the list is very dominated, and in need of more eastern 'influences', heh :)

Hidition, AAW, Jomo, and Rhapsodio are Asian - but I guarantee you, there's more where that's coming from :wink:

Tomorrow I will announce an Asian iem, specially for you buddy. You ask and I deliver. 

Including that, there's 5 Asian iems so far, 5 European, and 5 American. I would say that is pretty darn even!

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #375 of 39,414
  Hidition, AAW, Jomo, and Rhapsodio are Asian - but I guarantee you, there's more where that's coming from :wink:

Tomorrow I will announce an Asian iem, specially for you buddy. You ask and I deliver. 

Including that, there's 5 Asian iems so far, 5 European, and 5 American. I would say that is pretty darn even!

being an analytical brain, i like the numerical summetry, and i have another suggestion

review 18 iems, and make it 6(asian)6(european)6(american)

show to the head-fi members who you truly are 
evil_smiley.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh from the bowels of Hell) 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back