flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 26, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #377 of 39,414

Quote:

being an analytical brain, i like the numerical summetry, and i have another suggestion

review 18 iems, and make it 6(asian)6(european)6(american)

show to the head-fi members who you truly are 
evil_smiley.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh from the bowels of Hell) 
tongue.gif

being analytical and such,
i agree *echo of the evil laugh still resonating*

Very evil indeed!

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #378 of 39,414

ANNOUNCING IEM #15:

Unique Melody Maestro V2

The previous announcement, the 5-Way Ultimate, is the reigning champion of @jelt2359's FFAB shootout. The Maestro V2 might not be the first to come to mind when thinking of top contenders, but this 12 BA heavyweight currently resides at the top of @MikePortnoy's ciem chart. For those of you who are not completely familiar with MikePortnoy, he is the most technically proficient reviewer this community has to offer when it comes to sound analysis - there is no doubt in my mind about that. 

To paraphrase his words: UM's Maestro V2's resolution might not be the highest, it provides a full-bodied presentation that excels in its tonality. Both the midrange and treble have an exceedingly natural tone, that might be taken as an example for the rest.  

So.. get hype?

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #379 of 39,414

ANNOUNCING IEM #15:

Unique Melody Maestro V2

The previous announcement, the 5-Way Ultimate, is the reigning champion of @jelt2359
's FFAB shootout. The Maestro V2 might not be the first to come to mind when thinking of top contenders, but this 12 BA heavyweight currently resides at the top of @MikePortnoy
's ciem chart. For those of you who are not completely familiar with MikePortnoy, he is the most technically proficient reviewer this community has to offer when it comes to sound analysis - there is no doubt in my mind about that. 

To paraphrase his words: UM's Maestro V2's resolution might not be the highest, it provides a full-bodied presentation that excels in its tonality. Both the midrange and treble have an exceedingly natural tone, that might be taken as an example for the rest.  

So.. get hype?

Lols @ exceedingly natural comment from the most technically proficient reviewer. Just tongue in cheek on my part ;p

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #381 of 39,414
this list is like the dream team of (c)iems , i can spot at least 8 ciems that i would LOVE to audition, let alone own
eek.gif

you may have sold your soul to the Evil One , but it's definitely worth it 
cool.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #383 of 39,414
Hi Nic - do you anticipate reviewing these one by one and posting your review as you complete the review, or releasing your reviews all at once.

Hi Bob, definitely the former. It takes me about two weeks to complete a review if I push myself, and have the time. I've written 6 reviews now, so there's still some work to do. Plus I haven't even heard 5 yet. 

At approximately 1 review per two weeks, this might take a while :wink: 

-edit-
However, if can take a week off and relax at some point I'll be able to punch a few out just like during xmas. So most likely it will be a lot quicker. 

In other news, I'm pleased to say the list is finally complete. Next week all will be revealed.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #384 of 39,414
  Hi Bob, definitely the former. It takes me about two weeks to complete a review if I push myself, and have the time. I've written 6 reviews now, so there's still some work to do. Plus I haven't even heard 5 yet. 

At approximately 1 review per two weeks, this might take a while :wink: 

-edit-
However, if can take a week off and relax at some point I'll be able to punch a few out just like during xmas. So most likely it will be a lot quicker. 

In other news, I'm pleased to say the list is finally complete. Next week all will be revealed.

Patiently waiting.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #385 of 39,414
@flinkenick
Can't wait for the next. Reading your posts of articles/reviews is really wonderful. Detailed, but not too difficult too read, I really like them. While reading, felt like listening to music beautifully orchestrated by a master. Not to mention, the amount of knowledge (notes) delivered, haha. This thread is fantastic :)

The waiting though. ow the suspense..

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #386 of 39,414
Hey guys, I just wanted to share some thoughts on soundstage based on my experience in this hobby. I am a soundstage head and, a good soundstage is an absolutely necessity for me, when it comes to IEMs/Headphones. After owning and trying many IEMs and headphones, I have learnt that, not all large soundstages sound the same. I realized that these large soundstages can be broadly classified into 3 types:

Type X: Well Defined Expansive Stage – This type of stage is a result of high technical performance and high resolution of the IEM/Headphone. TOTL multi BA IEMs have this type of stage. Instruments on both center stage and corner stage are well defined and focused. This stage also has air but is not the star of the show. Having an overly large stage can start to affect the speed and coherency of the presentation.

Type O: Open Airy Stage – This type of stage is a result of the physical design of the IEM/Headphone. Open-Back Headphones, Vented IEMs and ADEL IEMs are a few example of phones that have this type of stage. Because of the non-closed nature, there is abundant air in the presentation that provides a sense of expansive stage. In this stage, the instruments on the center stage are well defined and focused, whereas, the corner stage instruments lack the same level of definition and focus. The beauty of this type of stage is that it sounds natural. But having too much air, will start to impact the definition of the instruments further.

Type V: Vacant Stage – This type of stage is a result of tuning choice with either small instrument sizes of the mid-range or pushed back midrange due to a dip in the 900-Hz to 2kHz area. The lack of mid-range fill, creates a void that is perceived as stage space. This stage can be found in 'V' or 'U' shaped IEMs. This stage usually provides a laid-back feel. Accentuating this type of stage can result in an empty presentation.

O and V types are fairly easy to create, compared to type X. In many cases, the soundstage of an IEM/Headphone is a combination of any 2 or all 3 types of these stage types. I usually prefer type X, with some O in the mix. Layla, Katana are good examples of Type X stages. A10, Zeus-ADEL are good examples of X+O. Sennheiser IE80 is an example of O+V.

Please feel free to comment, agree or debate.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #387 of 39,414
Well articulated, EagleWings. Thank you.

My U12-B1 certainly fits the A+B category. Solar feels like C with a touch of A.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #390 of 39,414
Nice post @EagleWings . Thanks for sharing.
For some Noble UIEMs I found that the stage is deep but not wide/narrow. Is it because of the housing? Because they have a uniform sort of oval shape houses. And another problem with the Universals is that the fit sometimes doesn't fit very well, affecting the soundstage. I wonder if that counts/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back