flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 18, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #12,799 of 39,414
I'm under the impression that a relaxing sound and an exciting sound are polar opposites and cannot be had in the same headphone/earphone.

What are some iems/headphones I can demo to hear signatures that can do both at once?
you might look at IEMs with bass/treble switches?

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #12,801 of 39,414
Not exclusively proedros, there's a lot of wealthy people out there who consider their purchases carefully because they wish to avoid the feeling of being ripped off. Likewise they enjoy finding a bargain as much as the rest of us.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #12,802 of 39,414
oof, as I suspected, are there iems with switches that change the sound a lot?
The FLC8S is the grandaddy of changeable signature IEMs. Not switches per se, but using a filter and nozzle system, you can adjust the sound signature from basshead to bright. Quite versatile. However the changing filters part is a mess.

Check out pictures from Zelda's front page review of the sidegrade, FLC8N, with the same tuning system. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/flc-technology-flc-8n.23219/reviews#review-21030

The switch IEMs that I know give variations of a base signature, like Gemini and Aether's bass switch, Zeus XR's "mids on" switch, and Flamenco's bass and treble switches. They don't really deviate from the original signature that much. I haven't tried QDC's Anole V6 and LZ Big Dipper yet (they both have 3 switches) so I can't comment.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #12,803 of 39,414
The FLC8S is the grandaddy of changeable signature IEMs. Not switches per se, but using a filter and nozzle system, you can adjust the sound signature from basshead to bright. Quite versatile. However the changing filters part is a mess.

Check out pictures from Zelda's front page review of the sidegrade, FLC8N, with the same tuning system. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/flc-technology-flc-8n.23219/reviews#review-21030

The switch IEMs that I know give variations of a base signature, like Gemini and Aether's bass switch, Zeus XR's "mids on" switch, and Flamenco's bass and treble switches. They don't really deviate from the original signature that much. I haven't tried QDC's Anole V6 and LZ Big Dipper yet (they both have 3 switches) so I can't comment.
I owned an flc8s before, I felt like most of the signatures sounded a bit thin and bright for me. I did like it though, it is my longest running in without switching to a different main iem. dare I say, they are more comfortable than customs for me, they disappear completely in my ears.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #12,804 of 39,414
I owned an flc8s before, I felt like most of the signatures sounded a bit thin and bright for me. I did like it though, it is my longest running in without switching to a different main iem. dare I say, they are more comfortable than customs for me, they disappear completely in my ears.
I LOVE THAT THING. It was my last IEM before entering the TOTL realm. I blame jelt lol

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #12,806 of 39,414
I hate switches. I always felt if you know what you want your IEM to sound like, stick to that. Exciting without being too fatiguing and allowing you to relax could be a definition of sounding right. You can get that with the VE8, or if your pair the SE5U with the WM1Z. In my opinion at least.

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #12,807 of 39,414
I hate switches. I always felt if you know what you want your IEM to sound like, stick to that. Exciting without being too fatiguing and allowing you to relax could be a definition of sounding right. You can get that with the VE8, or if your pair the SE5U with the WM1Z. In my opinion at least.
I really lust after the ve8 for sure, I just need to save up some more.

@Deezel177 I got a hansound aegis right after reading your review. I have to say, I'm really enjoying the boosted bass. I'm not really sure where the divide between subbass and midbass are, but aside from more punch, I also get way better rumble as well. the A12t already has boosted subbass so it's become really addicting to listen to.

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #12,808 of 39,414
I hate switches. I always felt if you know what you want your IEM to sound like, stick to that.
I'm with you Mimouille, mostly because I have a natural aversion to anything uncessary added to the signal path. Less is more!

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #12,809 of 39,414

I didn´t think switches are good, either, but then I bought the ProPhile8 and here the swiches come in handy when listening to classical music I listen to them flat, when I listen to EDM or pop I turn both switches on. They don´t turn into bass monsters, BUT this is one of the most balanced IEMs I heard to date (I didn´t like the Jomo Flamenco, too warm and coloured), but that´s preference. I dig more the neutral signature of the ProPhile8.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #12,810 of 39,414
My opinion exactly as well, for SE5U with the 1Z, exactly the sound that works for me, just right. Very curious to hear back what you think of the SE6 in this setup instead..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back