flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #12,826 of 39,414
Great share. I've had the Ongoku in various systems in the house over the years. Its nice, but way over priced for me. Will be getting the Vandersteen mono blocks in soon (15k a pair usd).

Guys, I've been off the boards for weeks breaking in my new server/dac (2 channel). it's KILLER. So much better than any 100k DAC I've heard with any server. The headphone amp is just off the chip with only a few wrinkles, but nothing too special. What makes it special is the DAC it's running through. the Phantom's have scaled to another level with the sg2.98 cable in single ended. It's really special. love this cable as I use it portably most of the time.
Oh lovely! Those big 211's must generate an incredible amount of heat. Does it require the aid of a small forklift to move? :o2smile:

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #12,827 of 39,414
Another meetup at @popof94 place (kudos for providing the space and welcoming us)...another bunch of nice auditioning

FitEar 334 : I have been meaning to get an audition of these for a while... I really liked them, very musical and organic sounding with great textures at the same time technically proficient and well extended both ways (unusually well extended and detailed up top for a smooth signature). And those mids are beautiful. I'd probably jump on them if I found a secondhand unit.

Hyla CE-5 : A very nice IEM, not what I thought it would be. Yes it's extended and detailed but not analytical... it's very musical with some fun kick down low and the mids are fuller than I expected. They reminded me somewhat of the Flamenco, with less maestria overall but still impressive in that price range. Too bad there is only a limited run of those...

UE18+ Pro : A very interesting listen as well, my kind of signature warm, good bass kick, articulate mids and smooth overall but well extended up top. I'd probably need more time with them as I suspect they have a lot to provide beyond that first very pleasing impression, there is a strong technical foundation here.

Samba : I didn't expect to like the signature and I didn't but the Jomo house sound is there and it's very musical for a highly detailed IEM, depending on tracks you can get a decent bass kick and mids are very articulate but too thin for me.

K10U : Strangely I had never heard them... I can see why a treble head woud like those, I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience as it's a big departure from anything I have listened too... those sounded hollow and cold to me with incredbile detail up top but they didn't move me one bit... Maybe I didn't listen long enough.

To bad I couldn't fit at all the Warbler Prelude and SE5 Ref that were at the meetup :frowning2: (no seal, a bend that was hurting as well)

I also had the chance to audition both Thor II 8 wires and Horus also 8 wires.

- Thor II 8 wires is really a treat with both the VE8 and Phantom it brings additional resolution, air and that particular smoothness that I have never heard in a silver cable. Soundstage is really gaining a lot as well as imaging compared to Ares II 4w and LionHeart 4w I own. I also believe it's a great cable to pair with WM1Z as the treble as much more natural sounding. The Phantom is gaining much more from the Thor II than the VE8. The Phantom is really a chameleon of sorts that has a hidden potential and responds well to cable upgrades. I think 8 wires is a must for the Phantoms, stil have to hear Ares II 8w or Eros II 8w but I suspect it's every bit as good as I've read.

- Horus 8 wires is a special listen as well, oh my what struck me is the textures which are so rich and beautiful this time the VE8 was the best pairing although the Phantom was sounding great as well the VE8 brought more detail to those textures. Layering is off the chart as well. The mids have never sounded so good, too bad this cable is out of my psychological price range... I have a feeling more time with that cable would reveal layers and layers of richness... Thor II 8w is introduces more spectacular changes, but Horus is all about the subtleties or at least that's my first impressions.

Last but not least I had a listen at sedentary Gear, out of this world experience with a Viva Egoista 845 tube amp (30kg !) which provides 2 x 15W with SP1000/Hugo 2 as source and Utopia... mind blown! A unique experience...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #12,828 of 39,414
Another meetup at @popof94 place (kudos for providing the space and welcoming us)...another bunch of nice auditioning

K10U : Strangely I had never heard them... I can see why a treble head woud like those, I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience as it's a big departure from anything I have listened too... those sounded hollow and cold to me with incredbile detail up top but they didn't move me one bit... Maybe I didn't listen long enough.

Did you get a good seal? I'm quite surprised by your impressions TBH. When I owned them they were very smooth , overly smooth even. I did not keep them because I much prefer a more energetic approach of the music , like Andromeda
Are you talking about K10 or Encore? Because Encore (which I've never heard myself) seem to be indeed quite bright

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #12,829 of 39,414
Did you get a good seal? I'm quite surprised by your impressions TBH. When I owned them they were very smooth , overly smooth even. I did not keep them because I much prefer a more energetic approach of the music , like Andromeda
Are you talking about K10 or Encore? Because Encore (which I've never heard myself) seem to be indeed quite bright

Yep I had a good seal... No it was K10 universal.
Maybe my ears were tired at the end of the day I had listened to a lof of things, I don't remember which cable was plugged to it...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #12,832 of 39,414

FitEar 334 : I have been meaning to get an audition of these for a while... I really liked them, very musical and organic sounding with great textures at the same time technically proficient and well extended both ways (unusually well extended and detailed up top for a smooth signature). And those mids are beautiful. I'd probably jump on them if I found a secondhand unit.

Hyla CE-5 : A very nice IEM, not what I thought it would be. Yes it's extended and detailed but not analytical... it's very musical with some fun kick down low and the mids are fuller than I expected. They reminded me somewhat of the Flamenco, with less maestria overall but still impressive in that price range. Too bad there is only a limited run of those...

UE18+ Pro : A very interesting listen as well, my kind of signature warm, good bass kick, articulate mids and smooth overall but well extended up top. I'd probably need more time with them as I suspect they have a lot to provide beyond that first very pleasing impression, there is a strong technical foundation here.

Samba : I didn't expect to like the signature and I didn't but the Jomo house sound is there and it's very musical for a highly detailed IEM, depending on tracks you can get a decent bass kick and mids are very articulate but too thin for me.

To bad I couldn't fit at all the Warbler Prelude and SE5 Ref that were at the meetup :frowning2: (no seal, a bend that was hurting as well)

- Thor II 8 wires is really a treat with both the VE8 and Phantom it brings additional resolution, air and that particular smoothness that I have never heard in a silver cable. Soundstage is really gaining a lot as well as imaging compared to Ares II 4w and LionHeart 4w I own. I also believe it's a great cable to pair with WM1Z as the treble as much more natural sounding. The Phantom is gaining much more from the Thor II than the VE8. The Phantom is really a chameleon of sorts that has a hidden potential and responds well to cable upgrades. I think 8 wires is a must for the Phantoms, stil have to hear Ares II 8w or Eros II 8w but I suspect it's every bit as good as I've read.

- Horus 8 wires is a special listen as well, oh my what struck me is the textures which are so rich and beautiful this time the VE8 was the best pairing although the Phantom was sounding great as well the VE8 brought more detail to those textures. Layering is off the chart as well. The mids have never sounded so good, too bad this cable is out of my psychological price range... I have a feeling more time with that cable would reveal layers and layers of richness... Thor II 8w is introduces more spectacular changes, but Horus is all about the subtleties or at least that's my first impressions.

Last but not least I had a listen at sedentary Gear, out of this world experience with a Viva Egoista 845 tube amp (30kg !) which provides 2 x 15W with SP1000/Hugo 2 as source and Utopia... mind blown! A unique experience...
Does the Horus 8 wire come with a complimentary briefcase for transport purposes, to be handcuffed to the owner's wrist at all times? :ksc75smile:

Seriously though thanks for those awesome impressions davidmolliere, sounds like it was a fun meetup!

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #12,833 of 39,414
Does the Horus 8 wire come with a complimentary briefcase for transport purposes, to be handcuffed to the owner's wrist at all times? :ksc75smile:
Seriously though thanks for those awesome impressions davidmolliere, sounds like it was a fun meetup!

Yeah the wood carry case is actually beautiful, but no bodyguard included :p

I failed to mention I listened to the EX1000 again (I did in a previous meetup), I loved it so much I ordered a used pair (and to compare with the IER-Z1R), it's a classic at good prices these days and curiously never found it harsh sounding I guess something to do with proper source as I am fairly sensitive to any harshness...

how do you actually buy one of these? do you know? Their website is so hard to navigate

Didn't chek, my wallet is empty with the IER-Z1R on preorder :beerchug:
Quite a few on eBay though, pretty pricey too (around 1400€)...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #12,834 of 39,414

I had the 334 on loan a few years ago, and while it was very pleasant, the bass was kind of too slow, with a super slow decay, and the voices sounded...huge somehow.

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #12,835 of 39,414
I had the 334 on loan a few years ago, and while it was very pleasant, the bass was kind of too slow, with a super slow decay, and the voices sounded...huge somehow.

I had a really quick listen and the tracks I was playing were indie Folk so it wasn't apparent, good to know.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #12,836 of 39,414
Horus 8

briefcase.gif

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #12,837 of 39,414
Everyone is solid silver. The weight is 75lbs so it's not too bad in the world of audio. Once in place, you don't move them. They lack in the bass though. Some may disagree, but it's a true tube sound which is fun, but not accurate. I like the much less expensive Audio Research amps much better. I also feel that the new Vandersteen amps will be better also. Newer designs. The 211 didn't generate any more heat than my Jadis or even Quicksilver amps did. Conrad Johnson amps that I had, were probably the coolest running of the group. :wink:

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #12,840 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back