flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 19, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #12,811 of 39,414
I'm under the impression that a relaxing sound and an exciting sound are polar opposites and cannot be had in the same headphone/earphone.

What are some iems/headphones I can demo to hear signatures that can do both at once?

Difficult to know exactly what you are seeking, but I'd suggest one to try might be the Flares Gold If you get a chance. If you can ignore the fact it's a 24k gold (plated) IEM, it straddles the line between engaging and non fatiguing very well. Apparently the gold coating on the inner surface allows for some sonic benefit over the Flares Pro, and owning both I tend to agree. It kills the treble spike of the Pro without losing the dynamism.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #12,812 of 39,414
Difficult to know exactly what you are seeking, but I'd suggest one to try might be the Flares Gold If you get a chance. If you can ignore the fact it's a 24k gold (plated) IEM, it straddles the line between engaging and non fatiguing very well. Apparently the gold coating on the inner surface allows for some sonic benefit over the Flares Pro, and owning both I tend to agree. It kills the treble spike of the Pro without losing the dynamism.
That's the one with the weird y split that disconnects right? I actually haven't read much about it.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #12,813 of 39,414
That's the one with the weird y split that disconnects right? I actually haven't read much about it.

That's the one. There is a thread for the Golds on HF somewhere - they are a definite stepup from the Pro model, and hold their own against the IE800s, AKT8IE and Hifiman RE2000 in the TOTL single dynamic driver bracket (I prefer the CA Atlas, but I thin I am turning into a closet basshead).

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #12,815 of 39,414
Anyone ever hear the Alclair Electro? what's it like?

I just reposted a Head-Fi'er's impressions onto the Electro's official thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/alc...rostatic-hybrid-custom-in-ear-monitor.886611/. I've heard from several individuals that it was one of the most impressive IEMs at CanJam RMAF, so I'd definitely get excited for it. Mine are on their way to Singapore as we speak, so I'll be able to provide impressions very soon as well. :wink:

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #12,817 of 39,414
I'm extremely interested in the IER Z1R's!! any further impressions on them other than the ones on the can jam thread? I'm debating on keeping the LX's or selling and saving a bit for the Sony's.

THANKS in advanced!

Check the IER-Z1R thread, those are coming in, I think this one you have read on the CanJam thread :

These are summit fi earphones from Sony. The IER-Z1R at $2300 MSRP is absolute authority with the type of 3D imaging and full bodied sound which is best described is like listening to floor speakers. These don't sound like earphones or even headphones. The dynamic range on these earphones are 2nd to none. For me easily the star of the show. Start saving your cash fellas these are for real. Substantial progress of Sony sound on these like you have never heard. I was more impressed with these than their flagship headphones Z1Rs. I hope these goes down to a more reasonable price. One to look out for. Oh by the way the fitment in my averaged sized ear was very comfy. Excellent design. (....) The LX has crazy bass. I don't know how they did it but the bass does sound like subs. The tech is real on these. The mids and treble don't suffer due to the bass either. Guys that like them some high end bass will love these things. These have the closest signature to the IER-Z1R but what differentiated Sony's flagship and the Legend X. These don't have a great sound stage to my ears. It is adequate but the sound is almost too big for the stage they have. Which is a challenge for bigger bass earphones. Sony's IER-Z1R actually has the stage to pull off this sound signature better imo. In a head to head match. I would pick the Z1R. The Legend X has great imaging, sweet treble they sound spectacular for EDM. But it is the Sonys I would actually consider spending this amount of cash on. If they didn't exist. These do sound great for the type of sound they are going for.

Last one by @timorinolee

Hi everyone, Managed to listen to this at my local Hi-fi convention and I was seriously blown away by these. It sounded like the Z1R on steroids, the sub-bass and bass, my oh my, along with the lush and smooth mids, and they fixed what the Z1R was lacking, sparkle and extension in the highs. It's not too sibliant or fatiguing. But to me they were just right. It's just so musical. Downside is, it may be too large for people with smaller ears. But once you get the fit right, bang on. Listened to it balanced with the WM1Z, perfect combo imo. Kudos to Sony, it's a winner!

So glad I preordered :D

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #12,818 of 39,414
Today I was lucky enough to hear the new Sony IER-M9 and IER-Z1R IEMs, and DMP-Z1R $10k "portable" DAP at the Australian Hifi AV show in Melbourne, along with a slew of megbuck two-channel systems.

For those potentially interested, the M9s sounded extremely flat (aiming for a reference signature) but felt uninvolving, fairly unimpressive technically and quite uncomfortable egeonomically. For AU$1900 I would definitely steer people away from these and towards something like the Andromedas instead.

The Z1R IEMs were utterly different. They are very heavy and built like absolute tanks, easily the best build quality of any IEM I've beheld. They're fairly comfortable when in your ears though (speculatively) perhaps not for long listening sessions due to the weight, and sound fantastic. The signature is somewhat bass and midrange heavy, bass uses DDs and is very prominent though perhaps slightly below basshead levels but doesn't obscure the rest of the sound, the midrange is extremely full and rich, and the treble is very smooth (not fatiguing in the slightest) yet detailed enough to please most people. I haven't yet heard the EE's Legend X but imagine from reading reviews that is the type of IEM the Z1Rs would be competing against. Due to the unconventional ergonomics and heavy weight I strongly suggest trying before buying but find it hard to imagine many people disliking their sonics. My only nitpicks are a slight lack of coherency due to their hybrid nature which is difficult to notice, and I would've personally preferred a bit more treble sparkle and detail.

The other news is the Z1Rs scale tremendously, which I discovered by testing them with the DMP-Z1R portable DAP/amp/thing. Its about four times the size of my old ALO CDM so is very much in the "transportable" category, in fact its even pretty big for a piece of transportable gear and certainly weighs plenty. Build quality is unsurpassed in the portable realm as expected, it looks and feels decadent. The interface is almost identical to a WM1Z and the massive volume knob is a pleasure to use, I'm sure you could have a lot of fun polishing your knob while hearing the sweet sounds this black box emits. I was able to try the Z1Rs from a WM1Z's balanced jack directly followed by balanced on the DMP-Z1R, and the difference felt significant. Notably the bass, dynamics and soundstage improved and the presentation felt more effortless. Sub bass in particular reached very very deep and was an absolute joy to hear, in fact I listened to a pair of MDZ1R headphones through the DMP-Z1R afterwards (could Sony's model numbers possibly be any more confusing??) and preferred the bass from the IEMs which felt tighter and more precise.
To my ears the DMP-Z1R + IER-Z1R IEM sounded like a quality desktop headphone rig, but one that's heavy and impractical enough that if you were going to use it "transportably" it wouldn't take much more effort to carry around a pair of TOTL headphones with it anyway. So I'm not quite convinced over the concept, or the price, but do think it sounds significantly better than the WM1Z and probably the SP1000. If you're the kind of person who has deep pockets and lives in hotel rooms it could be worth checking out.

Oh and here's a completely unecessary photo I took of the beautiful Audio Note Ongaku, a two-channel amplifer worth roughly AU$100k. In that context our little hobby really isn't that expensive at all!

Temp-4.jpg

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #12,820 of 39,414
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #12,821 of 39,414
I had a thought just today. When I listen to earphones, I only use one set for a long time. My brain gets used to that signature and becomes what I think sounds the most "normal." (psychological burn-in?) I'm starting to wonder how much sound signature really matters if I just get used to the sound signature and it becomes "normal" to me. I'm still thinking of what the consequences would be. ie if I only listened to something bright, a lot of stuff would sound dark to me and vice versa. There's also another component to this, I'm still not very sensitive to specific changes in sound signature in the mids and the highs. When I listen to other headphones, I'm not sure about the changes to the the mids and the highs all the time, especially the mids. What am I listening to? How should I listen for the smaller changes between different sound signatures?

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #12,822 of 39,414
Today I was lucky enough to hear the new Sony IER-M9 and IER-Z1R IEMs, and DMP-Z1R $10k "portable" DAP at the Australian Hifi AV show in Melbourne, along with a slew of megbuck two-channel systems.

For those potentially interested, the M9s sounded extremely flat (aiming for a reference signature) but felt uninvolving, fairly unimpressive technically and quite uncomfortable egeonomically. For AU$1900 I would definitely steer people away from these and towards something like the Andromedas instead.

The Z1R IEMs were utterly different. They are very heavy and built like absolute tanks, easily the best build quality of any IEM I've beheld. They're fairly comfortable when in your ears though (speculatively) perhaps not for long listening sessions due to the weight, and sound fantastic. The signature is somewhat bass and midrange heavy, bass uses DDs and is very prominent though perhaps slightly below basshead levels but doesn't obscure the rest of the sound, the midrange is extremely full and rich, and the treble is very smooth (not fatiguing in the slightest) yet detailed enough to please most people. I haven't yet heard the EE's Legend X but imagine from reading reviews that is the type of IEM the Z1Rs would be competing against. Due to the unconventional ergonomics and heavy weight I strongly suggest trying before buying but find it hard to imagine many people disliking their sonics. My only nitpicks are a slight lack of coherency due to their hybrid nature which is difficult to notice, and I would've personally preferred a bit more treble sparkle and detail.

The other news is the Z1Rs scale tremendously, which I discovered by testing them with the DMP-Z1R portable DAP/amp/thing. Its about four times the size of my old ALO CDM so is very much in the "transportable" category, in fact its even pretty big for a piece of transportable gear and certainly weighs plenty. Build quality is unsurpassed in the portable realm as expected, it looks and feels decadent. The interface is almost identical to a WM1Z and the massive volume knob is a pleasure to use, I'm sure you could have a lot of fun polishing your knob while hearing the sweet sounds this black box emits. I was able to try the Z1Rs from a WM1Z's balanced jack directly followed by balanced on the DMP-Z1R, and the difference felt significant. Notably the bass, dynamics and soundstage improved and the presentation felt more effortless. Sub bass in particular reached very very deep and was an absolute joy to hear, in fact I listened to a pair of MDZ1R headphones through the DMP-Z1R afterwards (could Sony's model numbers possibly be any more confusing??) and preferred the bass from the IEMs which felt tighter and more precise.
To my ears the DMP-Z1R + IER-Z1R IEM sounded like a quality desktop headphone rig, but one that's heavy and impractical enough that if you were going to use it "transportably" it wouldn't take much more effort to carry around a pair of TOTL headphones with it anyway. So I'm not quite convinced over the concept, or the price, but do think it sounds significantly better than the WM1Z and probably the SP1000. If you're the kind of person who has deep pockets and lives in hotel rooms it could be worth checking out.

Oh and here's a completely unecessary photo I took of the beautiful Audio Note Ongaku, a two-channel amplifer worth roughly AU$100k. In that context our little hobby really isn't that expensive at all!

Temp-4.jpg
Wish I live in Melbourne. There is nothing in Perth :beyersmile:.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #12,823 of 39,414
Wish I live in Melbourne. There is nothing in Perth :beyersmile:.

Nor is there in Paris, and we french must not be a priority, nothing on amazon.fr I had to preorder at amazon.de...

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #12,824 of 39,414
Oct 21, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #12,825 of 39,414

Temp-4.jpg

Great share. I've had the Ongoku in various systems in the house over the years. Its nice, but way over priced for me. Will be getting the Vandersteen mono blocks in soon (15k a pair usd).

Guys, I've been off the boards for weeks breaking in my new server/dac (2 channel). it's KILLER. So much better than any 100k DAC I've heard with any server. The headphone amp is just off the chip with only a few wrinkles, but nothing too special. What makes it special is the DAC it's running through. the Phantom's have scaled to another level with the sg2.98 cable in single ended. It's really special. love this cable as I use it portably most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back