flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #12,241 of 39,414
As one who used to be into 2ch, the closest I've come to something that is as enjoyable is Stax..
Try to get your head between a pair of Abyss Phi CC someday comrade :jecklinsmile: IMostO the highest performing best example of hps for the higher-end 2ch crowd. Just drive accordingly.
not only because of the lack of frontal localization (as with speakers) but also the resonant peaks in the treble that preclude head-fi gear from presenting the perfectly natural treble of your unique HRTF.
giphy.gif

No.
He's not.

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #12,242 of 39,414
Much as I was impressed by the Sennheiser HE1 no headphone system will ever have the room-shaking bass or jaw-dropping dynamics of a high-end floorstander system due to physics. Its one thing to hear the music, and another to feel it through your entire body which is where speakers will always be king. What I love about IEMs is how amazingly they deliver the tiniest details and making it feel like there's an orchestra playing inside your head. They're very different experiences.

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #12,243 of 39,414
... making it feel like there's an orchestra playing inside your head. .

That's a pretty special experience in itself, especially the first time you hear it. I'll never forget the first time I heard the Stax007 about 20 years ago while shopping for 2ch stuff in a local hifi shop. Headphones/ear phones to me were a $30max convenience item for my portable cd player.. I had no idea about high end HeadFi gear... I remember being in awe and actually a little confused by how these headphones made the inside of my head the size of a concert hall.. I'd take them off, put them on.. it was dumbfounding.
You don't get that same level of cognitive dissonance with 2ch...

And I apologize for the off topic rambling...

Sep 9, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #12,244 of 39,414
Guys, there are no can's or IEM's that I've ever heard that can do what a good 2 channel system in the right room, can do. Laws of physics still prevail here.

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #12,245 of 39,414
Guys, there are no can's or IEM's that I've ever heard that can do what a good 2 channel system in the right room, can do. Laws of physics still prevail here.
Having the right room and the right wife is where you can run into problems! :grin: My wife's the best, but don't think she'll go for it!
listening room 3.jpg Listening room 1.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #12,248 of 39,414
probably hard to describe, but what do those omnidirectional speakers sound like? I imagine their soundstage is very different from traditional speakers
Big but kinda soft. A little too..
1DEF79A7-5392-4674-9F87-65954DD58EDA.gif
..for me (relaxed)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #12,249 of 39,414
probably hard to describe, but what do those omnidirectional speakers sound like? I imagine their soundstage is very different from traditional speakers
It's kind of like you enter a room and sound is everywhere - you move closer to speaker and sound doesn't really change, you move away or turn and sound is practically the same. They fill in whole room with a sound - at least that's my experience with MBL at Polish AudioVideo Show - I've heard both MBL 101E and 101 X-treme and they were one of the most memorable experiences at that expo, truly one of the best speakers I've heard to date.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #12,251 of 39,414
Wow, nice room. How much is it for a month here, when can I move in?
Relax....they are programmed to receive.
After that you can check out any time you like,
but you can never leave! :wink:

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #12,253 of 39,414
you just can't kill the (upgraditis) beast

[ we should name this place hotel headfo(r)nia ]

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #12,254 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back