flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 14, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,111 of 39,414
So I've been getting a few compliments for the beautiful pics, as well as my new Sony. Much appreciated. But in the second line below the disclaimer I mention that the pics are made by Joseph, and the Sony is his.

He had made them before sending the Flamenco, and I don't have a camera with me. Apparently that is being massively overlooked, so I'll just say it here again.

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,112 of 39,414
So I've been getting a few compliments for the beautiful pics, as well as my new Sony. Much appreciated. But in the second line below the disclaimer I mention that the pics are made by Joseph, and the Sony is his.

He had made them before sending the Flamenco, and I don't have a camera with me. Apparently that is being massively overlooked, so I'll just say it here again.

Looks like your readers tend to skip immediately to the sound impressions :wink:

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #1,113 of 39,414
Looks like your readers tend to skip immediately to the sound impressions :wink:

Yeah next time I'll just start with "I would like to.." and then fill in some random words, to see if anybody notices; "eat pancakes" maybe, sounds about right. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #1,114 of 39,414
Yeah next time I'll just start with "I would like to.." and then fill in some random words, to see if anybody notices; "eat pancakes" maybe, sounds about right. 

90% about pancakes. the rest goes "...mids not so syrupy, bass is good... next!" then change subject in question. sorta like lalaland. darned spoilers!

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #1,115 of 39,414

90% about pancakes. the rest goes "...mids not so syrupy, bass is good... next!" then change subject in question. sorta like lalaland. darned spoilers!

I can already see the review taking shape...

"I feel the crepes flambées need more burnin' time to bring out their best."

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,116 of 39,414
After years, many years of BA dominance in the iems field, there is a resurgence of DD iems. Almost every brand has a totl DD iems offering and there is a very good reason for it. I will be very surprised if the top two of the three do not include DD iems. Plainly speaking, a good and well design DD can offer characteristics that a BA just does not have and I am not even talking about the bass. I am talking about certain type of imaging characteristics that seem like only DD can produce.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,117 of 39,414
After years, many years of BA dominance in the iems field, there is a resurgence of DD iems. Almost every brand has a totl DD iems offering and there is a very good reason for it. I will be very surprised if the top two of the three do not include DD iems. Plainly speaking, a good and well design DD can offer characteristics that a BA just does not have and I am not even talking about the bass. I am talking about certain type of imaging characteristics that seem like only DD can produce.

I don't agree with that. Timbre, I agree, is mostly ruled by DDs, but in my experience imagining on BA setups is superb and there is nothing inherent in a dynamic setup that makes them better at it.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,118 of 39,414
Barra started an impressions thread for the A/U18 Tzar you might find interesting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/844157/64-audio-a18-tzar-tm-impressions-thread-impressions-reviews-tours

His initial impression was added a couple of days ago (second page).

It is worth mentioning that Barra was just recently wowed by the W900 and also participated in a TOTL full size shootout last fall:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799494/totl-hp-shootout-2-abyss-hek-hex-hd800s-hd800-heavy-mod-hd800-stock-ygg-rok-stack

:)

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,121 of 39,414
If you absolutely love Ref. 1...would it be a safe blind buy with AAW W900?
So you loved the Ref 1 ? So you still have it? If no why get rid of an iem you love? Why try to get another iem that sounds like the one you have/had?

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,124 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back