flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 13, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,096 of 39,414
Does that mean 64Audio has given you an update? Or are you moving on without them?

Well I never really considered moving on without them, that was just speculation of others here hehe. I heard back from them and we're good to go.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #1,097 of 39,414
64Audio are at the top of their game right now...just like its impossible to do any supercar review without including at least a Porsche or two

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #1,098 of 39,414
Originally Posted by ranfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Guess which review I wrote today? It rhymes with Baestro.

Also, I am officially confirming the shootout will be starting towards the end of the month. Oh, it is on. It is very much on. 
cool.gif

Yes. Thanks Nic.
Cheers.

Yeah for hagelslag!... I mean, the shootout! (Sorry, that was a Freudian slip because the image made me homesick.
wink.gif
)

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #1,099 of 39,414

Yeah for hagelslag!... I mean, the shootout! (Sorry, that was a Freudian slip because the image made me homesick.
wink.gif
)

That's a funny name, hagelslag. Usually we call them meises or ceres. Where's your home?

Shootout will most probably commence by the end of this month.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #1,100 of 39,414

That's a funny name, hagelslag. Usually we call them meises or ceres. Where's your home?

Shootout will most probably commence by the end of this month. Now is just Nic warming up, writing for fun and giggles, haha.

"Hagelslag" is the Dutch name for them. We Dutch have all kinds of shapes for chocolate that is meant to go on bread. We also have "vlokken" which is more like flakes. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,101 of 39,414
  "Hagelslag" is the Dutch name for them. We Dutch have all kinds of shapes for chocolate that is meant to go on bread. We also have "vlokken" which is more like flakes. 

Don't worry you'll be home soon because of Brexit. 
tongue.gif

I'm really confused about Unique Melody's lineup... Their website is weird and some of their iems aren't even on the website. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,102 of 39,414
  Don't worry you'll be home soon because of Brexit. 
tongue.gif

I'm really confused about Unique Melody's lineup... Their website is weird and some of their iems aren't even on the website. 

I guess, that's what make them unique. JK

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,105 of 39,414
Apr 14, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #1,106 of 39,414
  Whoever guessed 'Jomo Flamenco', you were right. 

http://theheadphonelist.com/jomo-audio-flamenco/

I even added an accessories/unboxing paragraph for @eldss 
biggrin.gif
 (jk).

Aw, and here I was trying to gun for first-in-line :scream:

Great review as always Nic. Personally, I still think the W900 leans on the warmer side of things, especially if you go on a W900 -> UERM/UE18+ -> Flamenco comparison basis (I'd regard the middle as having neutral tonality to my ears, but hey it's a subjective hobby isn't it).

Since the writeup is already done and a certain ridiculously-stacked IEM still isn't in your hands yet, any chance for the Flamenco to replace the Samba in your shootout?

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #1,107 of 39,414

Aw, and here I was trying to gun for first-in-line :scream:

Great review as always Nic. Personally, I still think the W900 leans on the warmer side of things, especially if you go on a W900 -> UERM/UE18+ -> Flamenco comparison basis (I'd regard the middle as having neutral tonality to my ears, but hey it's a subjective hobby isn't it).

Since the writeup is already done and a certain ridiculously-stacked IEM still isn't in your hands yet, any chance for the Flamenco to replace the Samba in your shootout?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif
 If you hurry, you can be the first on Head Fi 
cool.gif

Just to make sure did you burn the W900 for 100 hours? It is very warm in the beginning, even past 50 hours. I think W900 is slightly warmer than neutral; but when taking the average signature of TOTL iems in mind, the W900 can be considered roughly neutral. But of course that will depend on your reference point as well, my personal baseline is slightly warmer than neutral. Flamenco is indeed the least warm, but I would think that UE18+ is warmer than W900, although I would need to compare them.

I thought about replacing it but it didn't really come up with Joseph. Samba is already a very good iem, and in a way it is more unique in this lineup. Plus, if I would include Flamenco the review would come out much later, where their might be an advantage to get impressions out quicker considering its novelty.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,108 of 39,414
Thanks for the review! I do think you should keep Samba in the shootout given that people made their ratings with Samba in mind. Maybe further down the road consider adding the Flamenco at the end of the shootout.

Just a question - hypothetically, if you were to replace Samba with Flamenco, do you think it would have a different position in the shootout?

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,109 of 39,414

Just to make sure did you burn the W900 for 100 hours? It is very warm in the beginning, even past 50 hours. I think W900 is slightly warmer than neutral; but when taking the average signature of TOTL iems in mind, the W900 can be considered roughly neutral. But of course that will depend on your reference point as well, my personal baseline is slightly warmer than neutral. Flamenco is indeed the least warm, but I would think that UE18+ is warmer than W900, although I would need to compare them.

Got mine since the start of the year and have been my go-to daily driver since, so I'd estimate about 300 hours of playback through them at this point. Not that it matters since I don't exactly recall any significant differences, but aural memory can be quite fickle can't it?

Yeah, a reference point would change the whole standard of neutral pretty vastly. IMO, the ER4 also sounds in-between the W900 and Flamenco in terms of tonality as well.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #1,110 of 39,414
  Thanks for the review! I do think you should keep Samba in the shootout given that people made their ratings with Samba in mind. Maybe further down the road consider adding the Flamenco at the end of the shootout.

Just a question - hypothetically, if you were to replace Samba with Flamenco, do you think it would have a different position in the shootout?

Well I guess this question was inevitable :wink:

Like I mentioned in the review, Samba scores very high in transparency, resolution, and imaging, so there's not much room there for improvement. Flamenco would gain some points for its midrange and tonality, but it would lose some for separation. Since the next question will be which I find better, I can roughly say this: if I could only have one or two iems, I would pick Flamenco. It has a more balanced signature and stronger midrange. However, within a large collection, Samba has a more unique signature due to its focus on precision, a bit like NT6. I can listen to Samba and enjoy it just for its precision. 

Got mine since the start of the year and have been my go-to daily driver since, so I'd estimate about 300 hours of playback through them at this point. Not that it matters since I don't exactly recall any significant differences, but aural memory can be quite fickle can't it?

Yeah, a reference point would change the whole standard of neutral pretty vastly. IMO, the ER4 also sounds in-between the W900 and Flamenco in terms of tonality as well.

It's difficult to hear differences when the difference is very gradual, as your brain constantly adapts. In addition, you tend to create a mental image of a signature in the first period, and the brain can be reluctant to change it later on. For instance in my case, the Solar's signature changes a bit after burn, it becomes smoother and less sparkly. Even though the sound had changed, my perception of it remained the same for a long time.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case with you, as we seem to have the same impression of W900. But for these reasons I personally always burn an iem for 100 hours, and only briefly listen first. Sometimes there is a change, sometimes there isn't. Flamenco also settled in after 100 hours. Even though it only uses BA drivers, it has a complex crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back