flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 16, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,142 of 39,414
In the meanwhile, Pinky has written his first cable review! They grow up so quickly. 

http://theheadphonelist.com/when-rudeness-wins-you-over-a-review-of-the-plussound-x6-t-metal-ciem-cable/

Next thing you know, I'll be asking for the keys to the Corvette. You will have a Corvette by then, yes?

Sorry, unfortunately not. But others on the thread have, if you have a question they just might answer. 

I tried to swing a review sample of the Prophile 8, but they would have none of it. :D

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,143 of 39,414
I am trying to ctach up..sorry for the dumb question. But when will this shootout end? I mean, when will you post the final result?

Hey man, it's not a dumb question. The shootout will start in 7-10 days. The aim is to publish one review per week, so 17 weeks from then. 

Next thing you know, I'll be asking for the keys to the Corvette. You will have a Corvette by then, yes?

Only if I start to work harder, and/or get in a different line of work. If not it's coming out of your college fund!

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,144 of 39,414
Hey man, it's not a dumb question. The shootout will start in 7-10 days. The aim is to publish one review per week, so 17 weeks from then. 

Only if I start to work harder, and/or get in a different line of work. If not it's coming out of your college fund!

F the future, I say. Get the cool car!

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,145 of 39,414
Is there a reason why KLM Earpads are not in the shootout?
redface.gif

Because you need to pair 'em with these to get its best and beat the other IEMs. And they're unaffordable, $238 million (but maybe Nic can someday).

Quote:

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #1,147 of 39,414
  Got a rare collector's item on loan; the 'original' 5-Way, that took Gzregorz way longer to make than the later Ref and Ult due to its complexity. #IemHistory

Very nice! As a history buff, I can appreciate the significance of these.  

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,151 of 39,414
Apr 19, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #1,153 of 39,414
Hi Crinacle, thanks for sharing. And my compliments for your review. Your impressions are accurate, and I recognise a lot myself.

However, please don't take this the wrong way, but I would add a few remarks. For starters, from a few aspects I get the impression you did not burn the Flamenco before listening. For instance, you emphasise its colder/brighter tone, as well as its leaner body. When I first listened to the Flamenco, it sounded very similar to Samba. But as I had previously mentioned, Flamenco settles in after burn. The 6 KHz peak is disproportionally prominent fresh out of the box. Accordingly, its tone is brighter, and its lower midrange is leaner. After burn, there is more balance between the center and upper midrange, resulting in more body in midrange notes and a less bright tone. 

The second aspect is that you give a very low score for comfort. This is because of the unfortunate positioning of the switches like you described on the Jomo thread. In the custom model this is placed in the concha. With the universal model it is placed next to the cable connector, which should be placed outside of the ear so it doesn't affect the comfort. It might be possible that this presses in your ear due to your specific anatomy, but this should be an exemption rather than standard. Of course, it would still be ok to give it a low score under these conditions; but at the very least, it would be fair to give an explanation explain why you gave it this score.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #1,154 of 39,414
  However, please don't take this the wrong way, but I would add a few remarks. For starters, from a few aspects I get the impression you did not burn the Flamenco before listening. For instance, you emphasise its colder/brighter tone, as well as its leaner body. When I first listened to the Flamenco, it sounded very similar to Samba. But as I had previously mentioned, Flamenco settles in after burn. The 6 KHz peak is disproportionally prominent fresh out of the box. Accordingly, its tone is brighter, and its lower midrange is leaner. After burn, there is more balance between the center and upper midrange, resulting in more body in midrange notes and a less bright tone. 

I am sure if you measure them you wont see a difference at 6KHz or in CSD to indicate that the bass has filled up or its warmer.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,155 of 39,414
  Hi Crinacle, thanks for sharing. And my compliments for your review. Your impressions are accurate, and I recognise a lot myself.

The second aspect is that you give a very low score for comfort. This is because of the unfortunate positioning of the switches like you described on the Jomo thread. In the custom model this is placed in the concha. With the universal model it is placed next to the cable connector, which should be placed outside of the ear so it doesn't affect the comfort. It might be possible that this presses in your ear due to your specific anatomy, but this should be an exemption rather than standard. Of course, it would still be ok to give it a low score under these conditions; but at the very least, it would be fair to give an explanation explain why you gave it this score.

Completely understood. Unfortunately I only had two weeks to demo/review the Flamenco, so I did whatever burn-in I could and just proceeded from whatever impressions I got at the end of the loaner period. I have been listening to them almost everyday to ensure that I got as much ear-time I could have possibly got before I went to writing. As @MuZo2 claims, I also doubt the 6K peak would objectively settle after some burn-in (at this point the unit I got probably has about 100-150 hours of playtime through them) but I'll measure and compare them with fresh-out-of-the-box graphs. Should be an interesting experiment.

Yeah, I had the same conversation with Joseph on the front of comfort; I also halfway suspected that my huge concha was causing the shell to push in further than the average causing the switches to hit my tragus. Unfortunately, it's still my ears and I'll still have to dock points for comfort (I have to fair after all). But you make a good point, I'll put a disclaimer in my review to reflect the uniqueness of my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back