flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 19, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #1,156 of 39,414
 Originally Posted by crinacle /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
Completely understood. Unfortunately I only had two weeks to demo/review the Flamenco, so I did whatever burn-in I could and just proceeded from whatever impressions I got at the end of the loaner period. I have been listening to them almost everyday to ensure that I got as much ear-time I could have possibly got before I went to writing. As @MuZo2 claims, I also doubt the 6K peak would objectively settle after some burn-in (at this point the unit I got probably has about 100-150 hours of playtime through them) but I'll measure and compare them with fresh-out-of-the-box graphs. Should be an interesting experiment.

Yeah, I had the same conversation with Joseph on the front of comfort; I also halfway suspected that my huge concha was causing the shell to push in further than the average causing the switches to hit my tragus. Unfortunately, it's still my ears and I'll still have to dock points for comfort (I have to fair after all). But you make a good point, I'll put a disclaimer in my review to reflect the uniqueness of my situation.

Hi Crinacle, thanks for clarifying. The 5-6 Khz is an especially sensitive area for human hearing, as it easily tends to harshness. It is also one of the regions that responds the most to burn in. I mentioned the Solar before, and the Flamenco, but it is also the case with SPC and silver cables. Of course, if you don't believe in burn or cables this is all a moot point. 

There is a reason that reviewers as average_joe, MikePortnoy, twister6, and myself always burn an iem for 100 hours before doing critical listening, so the sound impression is not affected. It is a courtesy to the manufacturer, as sometimes the sound might be affected, and sometimes not. In the case of the W900, I found the difference quite large. The loose bass resulted in a warm signature that resembled a more midforward signature, while the stage was particularly warm and lacked airiness, even up to 50 hours. At 100 hours, the bass is controlled, resulting in a more neutral signature and clean stage. 

In the case of Flamenco the energy of the 6 KHz is more prominent at first, which not only affects the tone, but the prominence of the lower midrange. In the case of the Solar's 6 KHz peak, it tended to be sharper and more sibilant at first. I don't know if it will show up on a freq graph. I find frequency graphs very interesting, but they are a very unidimensional representation of sound, that hardly reflect the whole picture. Sometimes there are graphs of iems that look identical, but sound very different. In the case of the Flamenco graph you show, there is a heavy rolloff after 4 KHz. The 6 Khz peak should be at least as high as the 2-3 KHz peak. The frequencies after roll off even steeper. To me, this does not inspire confidence that it would be able to pick up a sensitive change. Maybe a 15K setup might, or a CSD graph reflecting the time decay of energy. I trust my ears. If you want to put your faith in this specific measuring setup, that's fine by me.

I'm not really interested in a burn in/measurement discussion. It's ok if people have different opinions, and I lost interest in getting riled up over them. Like I said, overall you wrote a good review, and it is not my intention to downplay that.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,157 of 39,414
You'd be right that the 6K peak should be about equal to the 2-3K peak. I'd agree that FR is an extremely basic metric (I think being a data gatherer has made people think I view FR as some God Equation but this is far from the truth) but in most cases it'll be the first thing the human ear would pick up on. I'd go on about methodology and compensation types but this isn't the right thread to do so so I'll stop here. Anyone who wants to discuss (or learn) more can either PM me or post in my thread; I won't clutter Nic's thread with any more measurements talk.

At any case, it wasn't meant to prove anything, just a simple experiment I could do in my free time is all. I regret not being able to burn in this Flamenco for longer to observe any significant changes, but even so the sound that I based my review on has its merits and have impressed me greatly with its technicalities. Nothing on FR data can show detail or tonality; it's all subjective at the end of the day.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,158 of 39,414

RANK #17:

​

Score updated on post 2.

(Sorry Piotr plz don't hate me
redface.gif
)

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,160 of 39,414
Yay, the review is starting. How exciting. I'm adding this to the list of 'things to look forward to every week'.

Interesting to see how it will compare with the rank based on popularity

->

20/3/17 | 123 voters (up til #220)

nriempointvote
1empire ears zeus-xr adel450112
21964 audio a18 tzar31489
3spiral ear 5-way ultimate21369
4aaw w90021968
5noble katana13555
6campfire vega12145
7jomo samba8131
8ultimate ears ue18+ pro6634