Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Jomo Audio Flamenco › Reviews › crinacle's Review

Combining energy, clarity and grace: Viva la Flamenco!

A Review On: Jomo Audio Flamenco

Jomo Audio Flamenco

Rated # 531 in In-Ear
crinacle

Pros: Extremely detailed, fast transients, transparency to the highest degree

Cons: Somewhat thinner notes, relative lack of sub-bass rumble

Disclaimer: I approached Jomo Audio myself for a loaner demo of the Flamenco to be returned in two weeks in exchange for my honest opinion. As with my usual review style, I will jump into sonic impressions immediately.

Low scoring for comfort is due to my uniquely large ear structures not being compatible with the universal Flamenco's switch placement, as seen here. Your own experience may vary but Jomo has assured that this design was intentional and should be comfortable for most other ears.

The demo unit I received

Measurements (Click to show)

Both switches up

Bass switch up

Treble switch up

No switches up

Switch comparisons

Bass

The Flamenco's switches allow its bass to swap between neutral to slightly boosted (roughly 5dB across the bass spectrum). Hits are tight, fast and extremely quick, revealing minute nuances in the bass notes that most other IEMs would gloss over. While the bass is very punchy, sub-bass articulation falls short compared to its dynamic and hybrid competitors.

Additional notes (Click to show)
It's important to distinguish between personal preference and technicalities when it comes to reviewing headphones. In the Flamenco's case, while my personal preferences leans towards the wetter, more rounded nature of dynamic bass, it's also hard to not recognize the Flamenco's bass for what it is: a highly precise rapier than delivers hits with lightning-quick accuracy. The name of the Flamenco's game is clarity and detail and this philosophy extends into its bass presentation, with every detail bathed in the white light of its stunningly quick woofers.

Mids

Leans towards the colder side of tonality. Very well textured and sharp with a slight emphasis on vocals (especially female). Clear, transparent and detailed, and quite honestly the top in those three metrics out of all the IEMs I've ever heard.

Additional notes (Click to show)
There's that word again: clarity. That really is the first thing that pops in your mind when you hear the Flamenco; everything is right there in your face, begging for your attention. There is absolutely no "veil" to speak of and nothing sounds out of place at first listen.

Note weight could be a potential weakness in the Flamenco, but that can also be chalked up to personal preference as well. I'd prefer denser hits that give more body and weight to things like male vocals or bassy strings like cello myself.

Treble

The switches boost the 2k-8k regions slightly which improves clarity and perceived detail slightly. As with the rest of the frequencies, the Flamenco's treble is of course extremely detailed and clear. It's absolutely bursting with energy and highly articulate, with crashes and zings ringing true to my ears.

Additional notes (Click to show)
I'm sensitive to treble myself so the Flamenco tends to be a little too much for me, even with the switches down. However, the speed and note density is absolutely on point and I'd love to have it on every IEM I have. Apart from the emphasis, I'd say this is the perfect treble right here.

Soundstage

More intimate than spacious. There's less outward diffusal going on but the Flamenco still maintains a decently proportioned stage. Positional ability is outstanding and staging goes pretty deep, making sacrifices in width more than anything.

Choice comparisons

Advanced AcousticWerkes W900

As expected, Jomo's shining flagship should be up against its own local competitor's, AAW. As with the W900 vs the Samba, both excel in different things and are less rivals than complements.

Bass on the W900 is rounded, rumbly and decays in a way that brings wider staging to the sound, as compared to the Flamenco's speedy, quick notes. I'd liken the W900 to a large, dampened sledgehammer to the Flamenco's ornately decorated rapier, each having their own strengths. I'd prefer the W900's authority and articulation but you might prefer the Flamenco's clarity and punchiness.

In terms of tonality, they sound to be on the far side of either side of the spectrum relative to the average TOTL signatures. The W900 has a warmer, denser tilt to its notes while the Flamenco is brighter, colder and clearer. I prefer the more bodied sound of the W900 myself, but you know it's all down to preferences.

Into the treble, it's all about their showcase of different strengths. Flamenco has the edge on energy, clarity and airiness while the W900 is superior in control and note density. Perfection would be combining the two but as far as this goes, it's all about picking your poison.

Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors

I received the UERM about the same time as the Flamenco and it has replaced my ER4PT as my go-to reference for neutrality, both in frequency response and tonality.

With the bass switch down, both have similar bass emphasis with the Flamenco slightly edging out on both transient speeds and articulation. With the bass switch on, articulation is improved slightly whilst maintaining clarity.

The Flamenco is definitely slightly colder than the UERM (with the W900 being warmer), but at the same time allowing for greater transparency and clarity. Perceived detail is also much higher on the Flamenco and actually makes for a decent reference monitor with all the switches down, with the colder tonality and all that.

Treble is more uncontrolled on the UERM (with a spike or two here and there) and the Flamenco manages to maintain relative flatness in comparison with similar levels of sparkle and energy.

Custom Art Harmony 8.2

The 8.2 has been with me for a while and is my go-to "lounging" IEM. Relaxing signature that doesn't have a hint of fatigue to it. The two are definitely different in terms of sound signature and fulfill entirely different needs, even moreso than versus the W900.

The bass on the 8.2 is denser and has more rumble, but also has a certain "muffle" and veil to it compared to the Flamenco. At the same time, the Flamenco's quick and punchy notes can be a little intense and fatiguing compared to the 8.2's soft and pillowy ones. In terms of technicalities though, I don't think anyone would deny the Flamenco is superior.

The 8.2 and smooth and warm, a stark contrast to the Flamenco. Vocals are smoother and much more relaxing, albeit with a slightly lower levels of relative detail. The Flamenco throws every last detail and texture in your face, which is enjoyable for some but can be quite taxing to listen to for longer periods of time. Detail vs non-fatigue, pick your poison.

Flamenco is energetic, and that extends to the treble as well. The 8.2 is quite a bit darker and more veiled, but (as I've repeated many times before) is a lot less fatiguing to less to as a result.

Final words

The Flamenco is easily one of (if not the) most detailed IEM I've had the pleasure of listening to, and its colder, to-the-point personality is one that complements the smooth-warm nature of my collection ever so nicely. Jomo outdid themselves even with the high standards set by the Samba, allowing for a myriad of listening styles with the implementation of its switch system

A proud addition to the realms of summit-fi, it sets itself as number 2 on my top 10 list. I wait eagerly for Joseph's next venture, the Flamenco only increasing my hunger.

I assume the sound impression was done using EA Ares II cable you received with Flamenco demo? Just curious since you mentioned a cold thin tonality so I'm trying to put it into perspective with a cable.

Also, what is the difference between Measurements? I assume the graphs with a black background (where sub and mid bass are flat and lower, while mids are higher) are your measurements, and the other set of graphs with sub- and mid-bass higher than mids is from somewhere else? A little confusing.
@twister6 Aye, Jomo provided the Ares II with the Flamenco.

The "black background" measurements are compensated, which mean they reflect flat as a horizontal line. That software doesn't support A/B comparisons however, so for easier reading for the differences between switches I used a different software without any compensation (which will reflect flat as a slight downslope instead).

Basically, the measurements with multiple lines in one graph are for comparative purposes only; the black background ones can be taken at face value.