flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 23, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #9,289 of 39,414
Interesting, seems EE have a few minor qc issues on their hands atm. Hope they get it sorted soon.

Audiologist appointment wednesday. Really hope I can get the impressions sorted out this time as I'm getting irritated with how much hassle it's been. Plus now the nice weather has finally arrived in the uk that can only mean full blown hayfever is not far behind :frowning2:
I hope things will have been sorted out for you soon. Seems like you have been struggling with fit issues forever.

I am not sure if it is a QC issue with the new EE lines. Based on a few reports floating around, I rather suspect that in an effort to improve comfort they might have made the shells a little too light.
Today I have just tried fitear 335 SR.

Damn, I am so in love with it and that makes me wonder why not much headfier talking about its excellence.
Like others have commented, FitEar are the unicorns of this hobby. They have a custom fit that I would love to have (really short stems, like they did on the Titan), but there is no way that I will be able to get them.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #9,290 of 39,414
FitEar has a very special house sound. Some will like it, others not. But one thing is clear for me : they are very expensive for what they deliver in terms of SQ. It is justified by the build quality and comfort though. They are the only CIEMs with such shallow fit and still good isolation.

In terms of sound, I had the Togo 334 on loan for a while...the bass is very bloomy, not to say bloated. The ultra slow decay didn't do it for me.
I prefer the 335DW, that I owned for a while. I had ear problems at that time so I had to let them go, but they have great full mids, very nice powerful ass and smooth highs. Not for people who like bright or sparkly or analytical or neutral. I tried the SR briefly, seemed more towards neutral (but not there at all still). The Monet 17 sounded a bit weird to me.

These are special IEMs, but ones that should really be tried before buying.

If I had to go Japanese Unicorn, I would no more tempted by the Sony customs.

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #9,291 of 39,414
i did some grinding on my ciem shells to make them more comfortable, how do i get it smooth and glossy again (polishing)?

You have to apply lacquer onto it and cure it with UV light. Though, considering you polished a single area, you'd be hard pressed to get the polish even with the rest of the shell once you're done. It's possible you'd have to do the whole shell over, so be careful of bubbles while you're doing so. Next time, I'd highly advise you to be patient and just send it back to 64Audio.

FitEar has a very special house sound. Some will like it, others not. But one thing is clear for me : they are very expensive for what they deliver in terms of SQ. It is justified by the build quality and comfort though. They are the only CIEMs with such shallow fit and still good isolation.

In terms of sound, I had the Togo 334 on loan for a while...the bass is very bloomy, not to say bloated. The ultra slow decay didn't do it for me.
I prefer the 335DW, that I owned for a while. I had ear problems at that time so I had to let them go, but they have great full mids, very nice powerful ass and smooth highs. Not for people who like bright or sparkly or analytical or neutral. I tried the SR briefly, seemed more towards neutral (but not there at all still). The Monet 17 sounded a bit weird to me.

These are special IEMs, but ones that should really be tried before buying.

If I had to go Japanese Unicorn, I would no more tempted by the Sony customs.

Agreed. Brands like FitEar are just too finicky with their exclusivity deals. Funnily enough, last March, I visited the Sony JustEar offices to see whether or not I could get my own done within a reasonably short amount of time. Turns out, I had to do the impressions in June, then return for the tuning in August and collect them somewhere in November. :D So yeah, no JustEar CIEMs for me in the near future.

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #9,292 of 39,414
i wonder if EE phantoms will replace SE5 as #1

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #9,293 of 39,414
i wonder if EE phantoms will replace SE5 as #1

They have. Nic is not gonna update the shoot-out as many members have begged him to, but he has dubbed the Phantom #1 (or #0, I suppose) because it was an IEM built according to the principles of the shoot-out and should therefore score a near perfect score in all its categories.

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #9,294 of 39,414
Edit : Deleted my reply...cross posted with Daniel with a very similar reply a few seconds later :p

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #9,295 of 39,414
They have. Nic is not gonna update the shoot-out as many members have begged him to, but he has dubbed the Phantom #1 (or #0, I suppose) because it was an IEM built according to the principles of the shoot-out and should therefore score a near perfect score in all its categories.
I was wondering if he's gonna make it official, barring everything that have happened

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #9,296 of 39,414
I was wondering if he's gonna make it official, barring everything that have happened

Right now not meaning to speak for Nic but I’d venture he probably needs some air from all this and it’s not too important that he does make it official, listening to the Phantom is official enough for me that I hear Nic’s philosophy of sound :vulcan:

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #9,297 of 39,414
I think UM mason is worth mentioning as well.

超级截屏_20180423_154836.png

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #9,298 of 39,414

He has, man - he's declared it several times on Head-Fi. He's not gonna edit the official ranking, though, despite the presence of IEMs like the Westone ES80, the Earsonics EM10 or the Vision Ears VE8 which he'd probably put in the top 10 if he could. This is to solidify that the rankings are final, and to fully shut down any possibility of altering it in the future. Besides, what does it matter anyway? :wink:

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #9,299 of 39,414
...Based on a few reports floating around, I rather suspect that in an effort to improve comfort they might have made the shells a little too light.
When I received them I was very impressed by the weight. By far the lightest ciems I've ever had. I was even wondering what would happen if I would throw them into the air...would they come down? Or would they just float away on the horizon like a helium-filled balloon? :thinking:
Now (after reading about some crack issues) I just hope and pray that they will be build strong enough to make them futureproof.

This what was posted in the comments section on THL some time ago:

Q:How would you say the Phantoms compare to SE5-Way Ultimates? In terms of CIEMs, do you think the Phantoms will take the new rank #1? Or perhaps rank #2?
A: Well, the Phantom was designed to perform according to the broad range of aspects I judge on the shootout: with a heavy emphasis on both timbre and performance. If something is designed for the specific parameters to which it will be judged, and doesn’t win, then it has failed
For me personally, the Phantom would be number 1. But keep in mind you’re asking one of the most biased people

It probably won't get any more official than that.

...Besides, what does it matter anyway? :wink:
Exactly!!! All that matters is that you like them personally and that they meet your own preferences!
Besides that, I think that source synergy also might play a rol in that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back