flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 23, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #9,301 of 39,414
I think UM mason is worth mentioning as well.

The UM Mason V2 was my second favourite IEM after the Zeus. Excellent highly resolving sound both of them, great extensions both ways. Neutral with lovely full mids, balancing between heft, and sparkle/air. :) I haven't try the V3 though.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #9,303 of 39,414
Here is my take on the Ambient Acoustics AM7 LAM-U. Enjoy reading! :)

Website: https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/04/23/ambient-acoustics-am7-lam-u/
Head-Fi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ambient-acoustics-am7-lam-u.23063/reviews#review-20219

photo_2018-04-22_00-01-52.jpg photo_2018-04-21_23-27-00.jpg

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #9,304 of 39,414
Apr 23, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #9,305 of 39,414
Heya,

Did you play around with the treble physical filters? How do they affect the sound?

And for your review, most of it is on which setting? I’m assuming the flat setting?

Thank you!
There is a more open feeling and the setting is flat.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #9,306 of 39,414
There is a more open feeling and the setting is flat.

Very interesting.

Is it possible for you to try this recommended setting? +6db for LF, +5db for MF and white filter for HF?.

I was given the impression that this setting will provide a more warmish and holographic sound for vocals and a nice bass response!

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #9,307 of 39,414
FitEar has a very special house sound. Some will like it, others not. But one thing is clear for me : they are very expensive for what they deliver in terms of SQ. It is justified by the build quality and comfort though. They are the only CIEMs with such shallow fit and still good isolation.

In terms of sound, I had the Togo 334 on loan for a while...the bass is very bloomy, not to say bloated. The ultra slow decay didn't do it for me.
I prefer the 335DW, that I owned for a while. I had ear problems at that time so I had to let them go, but they have great full mids, very nice powerful ass and smooth highs. Not for people who like bright or sparkly or analytical or neutral. I tried the SR briefly, seemed more towards neutral (but not there at all still). The Monet 17 sounded a bit weird to me.

These are special IEMs, but ones that should really be tried before buying.

If I had to go Japanese Unicorn, I would no more tempted by the Sony customs.

Mimouille, I love a nice powerful ass and smooth highs on a woman! Thanks for sharing. I'm very excited about it. Also Bloomy and not bloated is another good thing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Back to IEM talk!

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #9,308 of 39,414
Mimouille, I love a nice powerful ass and smooth highs on a woman! Thanks for sharing. I'm very excited about it. Also Bloomy and not bloated is another good thing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Back to IEM talk!
Well I prefer things a bit tighter.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #9,309 of 39,414
I hope things will have been sorted out for you soon. Seems like you have been struggling with fit issues forever.
Thanks, you've no idea. I have nothing to go on yet, but I'm leaning on placing the blame at my previous audiologists door in all honesty. Despite the fact that I pointed out that they were for ciems and not hearing aids and despite the fact that I took instructions in it seems that they didn't do the process properly. The canal part was always fine, it was the concha and tragus parts that were not. The one I'm seeing now does seem to know the difference, we've just had rotten luck with my left ear not being completely clear of wax. Hoping wednesday changes that. I would love for universals to fit my ears so this wouldn't be necessary, but the right ear just doesn't want to know. Small is too small, and medium up is too large (pressure after awhile). Even small iems like the westone um1 (new one) feels too big after awhile.

Still at least I've got the new hiby R6 finally en route to me for the weekend.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #9,310 of 39,414
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #9,311 of 39,414
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #9,313 of 39,414
I'd like to hear fourte and 18t I wonder what the fuzz is about

I went to Socal CanJam recently and heard them. They’re worth the money imho, but to me, they still can’t beat Andromeda on all areas. Andromeda’s layering and soundstage is sometimes even wider than Fourte, but Fourte’s imaging focus is wonderful to hear and can be better than Andromeda on some songs

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #9,315 of 39,414
I went to Socal CanJam recently and heard them. They’re worth the money imho, but to me, they still can’t beat Andromeda on all areas. Andromeda’s layering and soundstage is sometimes even wider than Fourte, but Fourte’s imaging focus is wonderful to hear and can be better than Andromeda on some songs
I'm confused as to how they can cost 3.5x more than the Andromeda, not be better than the Andromeda in many ways (in your opinion), and be worth the money to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back