flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #9,166 of 39,414
you are a good soul @ctsooner22 , i am glad you are around here and having so much fun :beerchug:

as for the ranking in my spending, i personally go for ciem first , then DAP , and finally cables (which i am keeping on a nice leash atm , currently using a 150$ cable for my Zeus)

again , tight budget makes me prioritize my buying options

would i love having the 1K pw1960s cable ? damn sure i would, but like i said tight budget keeps me controlled (for now)

btw , i just managed to find/buy a EOS cable for a very,very good price ( some buys are just too good to pass i guess)

the journey continues

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #9,167 of 39,414
If you made $5K/month, you wouldn't need to be. :D
Making 5k a month does not allow you to buy high ends iems freely...if you have kids you would be lucky to have 500 left. That you have to keep for vacation.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #9,170 of 39,414
Or in China where international schools for even small kids costs 1.5 to 3k$ à month!
That’s why all my kids college saving went into this hobby, college is a waste of money and it way overrated, I only had hs diploma and made over 6 figures a year.:ksc75smile:

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #9,174 of 39,414
i think maybe i should explain my stupidity to avoid sounding stupid, which is impossible because i actually am stupid.

a little back story: before, i used to think that small incremental upgrades was the way to go. I would work my way up the ladder slowly. this proved to be very aggravating to me, upgrades just didn't seem like they did anything, it was too slow and each next iem just wouldn't live up to my expectations of 200-300+ more dollars. my previous iem was the ca jupiter that i blind bought after being too hyped up. i wasn't immediately wowed by the jupiter in terms of performance gains, but i eventually came to appreciate its merits. because of my initial disappointment, i decided to skip a few steps. i was originally gonna get a couple more iems before landing at the a18t, but since i couldn't decide, i just saved and saved and saved. lo and behold, when i heard 64 audio was putting the tia driver in the a12, i leapt at the chance and blew all my savings. since i flat out skipped everything from 800 to 2000 dollars, i have no idea what any of it sounds like aside from a few auditions here and there, but comparing the a12t with my previous, much less expensive equipment, it all just seemed like a joke, the a12t was so much better. and since i didnt try anything from 1000-1500 dollars i came under the illusion that the point of diminishing returns does not exist.

so basically what i'm saying is, the vast chasm of a performance gap between the jupiter and the a12t meant i dismissed everything between it. i'll probably now go audition everything below the a12t to really ascertain how much of a performance gain the a12t is compared to say the andromeda, or something like that. forgive me for my stupidity

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #9,177 of 39,414
Making 5k a month does not allow you to buy high ends iems freely...if you have kids you would be lucky to have 500 left. That you have to keep for vacation.

I should've taken into consideration the fact that I live in Indonesia. I have yet to see an international friend come here and not ask, "Why is everything so cheap around here?" :D

U18t, a18 or Forte Which do you guys enjoy most
Any of them have Nice mids like Zeus?

None of them present mids like the Zeus, but all three are great if you're looking for a bright, sparkly, open, airy and clarity-oriented signature.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #9,178 of 39,414

ciems are my kids , bro :L3000:

hell , most of the time they are also my mistress/wife/gf :k701smile:

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #9,180 of 39,414
Wow another overpriced relic for elderly audiophiles who haven't arrived in the present yet. Sorry guys, but we arrived in the age of streaming several years ago. TOTL DAPs without Spotify and Tidal support are just laughable in my humble opinion. Yes, I also belong to the old herd that still buys albums. But streaming abilities (both in and out) are definitely a must these days. The release of such a huge chunk of 3000$ metal without any mentionable features makes me laugh uncontrollably. Why is the audiophile scene always stuck in the past? Sorry for the rant :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back