flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #9,196 of 39,414
Dude, thanks for your input! Very appreciated. Regarding your point about App support: This would not be an issue if the manufacturer chose Android (or a modification of it) instead of making their own. I am no expert by any means, so I don't know about the cost or problems of doing that. Maybe someone knows more?

Absolutely right. To be honest, I'm absolutely happy with my android DAP and not really concerned about what other people buy. For me it's rather like witnessing people buying cars with old steam engines for crazy amounts of money. It's a curious topic and worthy of discussion IMO :)

Aside from the very insightful comments @Mython posted, the new Sony DAPs chose to fully omit Wi-Fi and streaming because of the noise they can produce throughout the circuit. Instead of spending more time and money developing a workaround, they chose to create an offline only DAP that people like myself are more than happy with. Like @PinkyPowers, I love buying songs off of iTunes or HDTracks to put into my DAPs because I feel like I’m at least somewhat supporting the artist. And it gives me freedom to listen where fast Wi-Fi isn’t available (which is close to everywhere in Jakarta).

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #9,197 of 39,414
Dude, thanks for your input! Very appreciated. Regarding your point about App support: This would not be an issue if the manufacturer chose Android (or a modification of it) instead of making their own. I am no expert by any means, so I don't know about the cost or problems of doing that. Maybe someone knows more?

Thanks for taking my remarks in the spirit they were intended (i.e. just a healthy debate amongst friends, rather than a personal 'attack') . That shows that you are more mature than some people around Head-Fi
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

I'm not an Android expert, either, but, as I see it, one of the biggest problems with Tidal implementation on audiophile DAPs is that it means you need to add RF hardware to a DAP which otherwise wouldn't need it. That means enormous effort must be made, to protect the circuit from RF interference (and even some of the best companies, designers, and devices may never achieve 100% RF immunity, as it's such a problem). Then you've got to include more code in the firmware, and pray that it doesn't make the operation of the hardware and firmware unstable (there is a Chinese DAP which I will not name, that is currently struggling with firmware stability with wireless functions, even though a lot of people really like its sound quality at its pricepoint).

RF hardware also takes up precious space (so does the RF shielding), and it consumes more power, meaning the battery has to be larger, and so the end result is a device that is bigger and heavier than competitors' DAPs that don't have RF hardware.

Additionally, some manufacturers have gone to the trouble of implementing Tidal, only to discover that Tidal fans are now demanding more - they're demanding offline Tidal functionality, and Tidal are seemingly very wary of allowing less-mainstream brands to implement this. More hoops to jump through, more delays, more hassle, for DAP-makers who need to get their devices onto the market A-S-A-P, before competing DAPs 'steal' sales from them.

There's also the aspect that some DAP-makers may choose to use the Android platform (which is already developed to function well with touchscreens), but may not want to include parts of Android like Google Play. Instead, they want to use a stripped-back, barebones version of Android, to maximise battery life, minimise the number of running processes (which may also benefit sound quality), etc. etc. etc. I will concede that some have tried a dual-boot approach, to get the best of both worlds.

Hey-ho... I'm gonna shut-up now, as this is a bit off-topic for a flagship IEM thread!
whistling-825578-emoticon.gif

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #9,198 of 39,414
Since Lotoo PAW touch can act as USB DAC, it still can play any streaming services via smartphone or PC. In my opinion, rather than DAP manufacturers have to approach streaming services, those streaming services should approach and provide technical support to DAP manufacturers instead cause customers who bought DAP are their prospective customer. Anyhow, the more feature is the better, isn't it? By the way, I do understand that DAP manufacturers need to cost control efficiently.

It will also have a dual Bluetooth, similar to Shanling/Cayin DAPs, so you will be able to stream from your smartphone to LPGT (w/Touch paired up like a wireless Bluetooth DAC). Typically, BT is bandwidth limited, but considering support of BT5.x, this could change, allowing hi res files.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #9,199 of 39,414
Aside from the very insightful comments @Mython posted, the new Sony DAPs chose to fully omit Wi-Fi and streaming because of the noise they can produce throughout the circuit. Instead of spending more time and money developing a workaround, they chose to create an offline only DAP that people like myself are more than happy with. Like @PinkyPowers, I love buying songs off of iTunes or HDTracks to put into my DAPs because I feel like I’m at least somewhat supporting the artist. And it gives me freedom to listen where fast Wi-Fi isn’t available (which is close to everywhere in Jakarta).
I'm totally the same way. Having android on the dap was always a waste of battery and UI IMO, and I prefer to download from HDTracks and enjoy 20+ hours of music between charges.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #9,200 of 39,414
I'm totally the same way. Having android on the dap was always a waste of battery and UI IMO, and I prefer to download from HDTracks and enjoy 20+ hours of music between charges.

Same here, the only android dap I have is the ibasso dx200 (but I'm using in mango mode, not android), the rest of the android daps look like a 2 years old smartphone (the most recent android os in a player is version 6) with lot of apps that you don't need and drain your battery.
Ak and Sony have amazing user interface (and the new LPG Touch looks the to be on the same track), fast, intuitive with the only goal to reproduce music and enjoy it. :ksc75smile:

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #9,201 of 39,414
[/QUOTE]

It will also have a dual Bluetooth, similar to Shanling/Cayin DAPs, so you will be able to stream from your smartphone to LPGT (w/Touch paired up like a wireless Bluetooth DAC). Typically, BT is bandwidth limited, but considering support of BT5.x, this could change, allowing hi res files.

Thanks for that info. I too want the best sounding in the end. That's why I paid a lot more for a ak380cu and a matching amp and didn't get the regular one or even the iBasso. I was all set to get the 200 I think it is, but after speaking with Nic, I decided the 380cu was what I wanted. I have one of those new large SD cards filled with all kinds of music, but sometimes I want to stream Tidal. Its frustrating knowing it's there and you can't use it. That's all.

Onto IEM's...seems like most of the companies are not sitting on their laurels and are working hard to come up with new and better IEM's. Seems that EE is one of the few who have a true reference one though and that's difficult for me. I really wish others would consider something that is their version of the Phantom. I may be missing something and I have not been able to audition all that is out here, including Nic's top choice when he did this, but I'm open to suggestions. :).

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #9,202 of 39,414

Thanks for that info. I too want the best sounding in the end. That's why I paid a lot more for a ak380cu and a matching amp and didn't get the regular one or even the iBasso. I was all set to get the 200 I think it is, but after speaking with Nic, I decided the 380cu was what I wanted. I have one of those new large SD cards filled with all kinds of music, but sometimes I want to stream Tidal. Its frustrating knowing it's there and you can't use it. That's all.

Onto IEM's...seems like most of the companies are not sitting on their laurels and are working hard to come up with new and better IEM's. Seems that EE is one of the few who have a true reference one though and that's difficult for me. I really wish others would consider something that is their version of the Phantom. I may be missing something and I have not been able to audition all that is out here, including Nic's top choice when he did this, but I'm open to suggestions. :).

An IEM you can try is the Jomo Audio Haka. It's a single-BA IEM like the Warbler Prelude, though it's uniqueness comes in the form of a proprietary driver manufactured to the specifications of Joseph Mou himself. It has a well-rounded, well-balanced and natural tone somewhat evocative of the Phantom (with the right source and cable pairing), but it has a slight emphasis in the mid-bass and a slightly shifted lower-treble peak that makes it more fun and dynamic than the Phantom without compromising too much of its realism. It isn't as strong of a technical performer as the Phantom in terms of note resolve, forwardness, stage stability, body and balance, but it's a great all-rounder that happens to carry a charming timbre and an all-round energetic presentation. I reckon it could give your Savant's a run for their money. :wink:

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #9,203 of 39,414
An IEM you can try is the Jomo Audio Haka. It's a single-BA IEM like the Warbler Prelude, though it's uniqueness comes in the form of a proprietary driver manufactured to the specifications of Joseph Mou himself. It has a well-rounded, well-balanced and natural tone somewhat evocative of the Phantom (with the right source and cable pairing), but it has a slight emphasis in the mid-bass and a slightly shifted lower-treble peak that makes it more fun and dynamic than the Phantom without compromising too much of its realism. It isn't as strong of a technical performer as the Phantom in terms of note resolve, forwardness, stage stability, body and balance, but it's a great all-rounder that happens to carry a charming timbre and an all-round energetic presentation. I reckon it could give your Savant's a run for their money. :wink:

Wow, thanks Daniel. I have heard of them, but never seen anyone post about them as I wasn't looking in that direction I guess. Do they do tours do you know? I'm sure they can give the Savant a run, lol....:).

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #9,205 of 39,414
Wow, thanks Daniel. I have heard of them, but never seen anyone post about them as I wasn't looking in that direction I guess. Do they do tours do you know? I'm sure they can give the Savant a run, lol....:).

I don't think Joseph does, but I'll start working on a review for the Haka within the next couple weeks. I'll consider including a comparison towards the Phantom, however unfair that may be. :D If you can wait, you can ask Effect Audio to bring a pair with them to next year's CanJam SoCal. They're pretty close friends of the company and I'm sure it wouldn't be too bothersome. :wink:

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #9,206 of 39,414
Those look cool. Only 380 usd? man that's a bargain based on what you said they sound like. There was a new IEM that sounded pretty good in this range, the Advanced M5 I believe. From Albany NY area. The description you shared would be better sounding than the M5. I just shared with a buddy of mine who is looking for his kids. lol...

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #9,207 of 39,414
If you get bored of CIEMs, you should give this Bose speaker a listen:

:wink: :wink:

LOL...in 2 channel, we often say "No highs, no low's, must be Bose" lol....When it's no CIEM's, it's my main 2 channel rig :wink:...

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #9,208 of 39,414
I've been casually searching the net for portable speakers, this afternoon, and happened to find a very helpful reviewer on youtube.

He's set-up a comparison website which, although not beyond criticism, is nonetheless the best effort I've ever seen at helping visitors compare the sound of real products. It's fantastic!

He's individually video-recorded many different speakers, each one with several types of music, and recorded the audio using a binaural microphone. Then he's created an A-B comparitor applet that's able to synchronise whichever 2 product video clips the user chooses to view/hear, even if they dynamically change the choice of music style whilst they are watching/listening. Very clever.

Just take a look at how well-designed his website is. I really wish there was a way to do exactly the same thing, but using a binaural dummy with headphones/IEMs/CIEMs attached to it

http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/

I'm in awe at how much effort this guy has put into this, and I take my hat off to him!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #9,209 of 39,414
is there a full-size headphone version of this thread? after spending 3 years in the iem hole, i have no idea what full-sized headphones are the **** right now. except the utopia cause so many people talk about it. and the eikon.

if you can try the Abyss Diana(planar). I do prefer this over utopia which is also less priced and curious to compare it with the Phantom.

it's warmish, very transparent, won't add any color to the music.

transparency, resolution, coherency
and very portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back