flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #9,136 of 39,414
Since it’s borderline impossible to find a used U18t for sale currently - I am considering the Legend X but the lack of APEX/ADEL worries me a bit as I loved the technology on my Fourté.
Thought you bought them from greygrey as he marked his as sold

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #9,138 of 39,414
giphy.webp

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #9,140 of 39,414
Apr 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #9,141 of 39,414
100% agreed. The lower-treble control plus added content in the sub-bass and lower-midrange add a beautiful analog feel that returns some of the weight and substance that the stock one lacked. Good call! :wink:

Vinnie Rossie used to offer the Red Wine mod, but I don’t think he does anymore. You can probably contact Ryuzoh of Musashi Sound technologies to mod it for you, but I’d first question the safety of the mod if I were you. His AK70 mod in particular wasn’t as reliable as i would’ve liked, but his other ones have a pretty good reputation, so YMMV.
. Yes Vinnie is focused now on his 2 channel company. Not just mods, but full scale production of limited gear. he makes some really nice stuff.

Since it’s borderline impossible to find a used U18t for sale currently - I am considering the Legend X but the lack of APEX/ADEL worries me a bit as I loved the technology on my Fourté.

Not flaming anyone at all, but I haven't seen any scientific fact that show this type of innovation does what folks and companies say it does. I noticed that EE and 64 either stopped using it or came up with their own (probably for financial reasons). I know that it lowers the bass output according to folks I've spoken with at a few companies at the show. I am not one who plays any of my music either in ear, on the ear or in my 2 channel system, too loudly. I actually use an SPL meter app on the phone when listening at home. That way it's easier to review when trying to match output volumes. It's fairly close, lol.

I liked the X, but it had too much bass for me. I needed a more reference CIEM, so I went the Phantom route. I know others are in love with all the X does. Cant' go wrong either way as both sounded good when I've heard them. Good luck!

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #9,142 of 39,414
. Yes Vinnie is focused now on his 2 channel company. Not just mods, but full scale production of limited gear. he makes some really nice stuff.

Not flaming anyone at all, but I haven't seen any scientific fact that show this type of innovation does what folks and companies say it does. I noticed that EE and 64 either stopped using it or came up with their own (probably for financial reasons). I know that it lowers the bass output according to folks I've spoken with at a few companies at the show. I am not one who plays any of my music either in ear, on the ear or in my 2 channel system, too loudly. I actually use an SPL meter app on the phone when listening at home. That way it's easier to review when trying to match output volumes. It's fairly close, lol.

I liked the X, but it had too much bass for me. I needed a more reference CIEM, so I went the Phantom route. I know others are in love with all the X does. Cant' go wrong either way as both sounded good when I've heard them. Good luck!

64Audio dropped ADEL (and Asius) because they were unreliable in terms of build quality. They had modules fail one too many times, so they decided to develop APEX. They look extremely similar (probably so they were backwards compatible with ADEL IEMs), but they work under different principles which I refuse to explain right now for fear of typing too hard. :p

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #9,143 of 39,414
Indeed! :D The review itself was an impressive read, and I'm planning to give Ambient Acoustics a shout as we speak. They've definitely caught my attention. :wink:

What an interesting ciem!
Love the design, I've been looking at their instagram page, really cool!

I just don't understand which connector are they using on the earphone.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #9,144 of 39,414
What an interesting ciem!
Love the design, I've been looking at their instagram page, really cool!

I just don't understand which connector are they using on the earphone.

Hmmm... the $3K, customer-requested, 24-driver model sure looks interesting... :wink:

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #9,146 of 39,414
Hmmm... the $3K, customer-requested, 24-driver model sure looks interesting... :wink:

I notice they are offering FitEar remoulds - that's quite brave, considering FitEar CIEMs are solid-filled with acrylic. Must be tricky to dismantle without damaging the BAs.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #9,147 of 39,414
how do you deal with pimples in your ears with ciems... help it hurts but music sounds good

I'm in the same boat. My on going saga getting impressions this time is turning into a nightmare quite frankly! Had my left ear micro suctioned for wax as the traditional syringing method hadn't been working, but at the same time it made it a bit inflamed to the point the audiologist I'm seeing now didn't want to risk doing the impressions. So that means a no go on ciems or iems for at least a week whilst it settles down. As I use them mainly at work to block out the noise from the machines (think 12 large machines going constantly, alongside the section I'm in which has 4 smaller machines in a large hard reflective room)I'm not too happy right now :frowning2: I can use my sennheiser hd25-II's but then I don't like using my glasses with them, plus the infamous sennheiser clamp is getting annoying as well. Anyone got any good suggestions for a decent alternative for rock and metal?

Hope your situation is sorted soon pithyg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back