flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #9,107 of 39,414
I am certainly no expert either but from what I listen to the other day what I remember of them almost mirrors what @dc655321 found. I would have snap bought the 12t had I not heard the 18t which I would have snap bought had I not heard the Fourte haha.

Yeah, either the units are indeed different or some other factor - such as tips - were at play. I'm always willing to give it another go. :wink:

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #9,108 of 39,414
I would have snap bought the 12t had I not heard the 18t which I would have snap bought had I not heard the Fourte haha.

lol.
Yes, the 64 Audio (and EE!) offerings made for difficult decisions.

Maybe it's cliche, but I was looking for an hd6x0-ish signature with a fleshed out bottom end.
For me, it was closest between the 12t and the Tia Trio. Loved them both.
But, I wanted a custom, so the Trio was out...

OTOH, my wife fell hard for the Trio. So, it's not like I won't get a chance to appreciate them more :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #9,110 of 39,414
Apr 16, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #9,111 of 39,414
I wish it was so easy for me to give so many IEMs a try haha. I can tell you they were using the foam tips for trials if that would make any factor and I was listening single ended through my Sony WM1A.

That instantly explains it. :p I was using Final Audio silicone tips, so of course you'd have heard a warmer and fuller sound - especially compared to the EE units. I too was listening to them through the SE output of my K-modded WM1A (now slightly smoother and weightier on the SE output), but the difference is definitely in the tips. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #9,112 of 39,414
That instantly explains it. :p I was using Final Audio silicone tips, so of course you'd have heard a warmer and fuller sound - especially compared to the EE units. I too was listening to them through the SE output of my K-modded WM1A (now slightly smoother and weightier on the SE output), but the difference is definitely in the tips. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

Good to know! I really am not a huge fan of foam tips so I don't plan on using them, but now if something sounds off to me I'll know what to look at haha.

I was tossing the idea of getting the K mod done to my WM1A, do you find it worth the money? How long did the mod take for you?

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #9,113 of 39,414
Good to know! I really am not a huge fan of foam tips so I don't plan on using them, but now if something sounds off to me I'll know what to look at haha.

I was tossing the idea of getting the K mod done to my WM1A, do you find it worth the money? How long did the mod take for you?

I can enjoy the way foam tips provide warmth and fullness - especially with brighter or more v-shaped IEMs - but I don't like how easily they break down. Something like the Symbio ear tips from MandarinES would probably be my ideal solution. Well, I'm slightly biased by how I acquired my modded 1A in the first place. A friend of mine found a pristine used 1A in Japan, which - when totalled with the cost of the mod - essentially cost as much as a brand new WM1A. I personally think the priciest option can be a shortcut of sorts towards the 1Z's performance, but the 1Z still has the edge in 3D-ness and bass physicality. So, if you're pining for a 1Z and you'd like neither the weight nor the extra $2K it'll cost you, the mod is definitely worth your time. But, if you have other purchases to consider, then I'd probably suggest going for the less expensive variants of the mod. I don't personally know how they change the WM1A's sound, but I'm sure the Music Sanctuary guys could help you out in that regard.

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #9,114 of 39,414
I can enjoy the way foam tips provide warmth and fullness - especially with brighter or more v-shaped IEMs - but I don't like how easily they break down. Something like the Symbio ear tips from MandarinES would probably be my ideal solution. Well, I'm slightly biased by how I acquired my modded 1A in the first place. A friend of mine found a pristine used 1A in Japan, which - when totalled with the cost of the mod - essentially cost as much as a brand new WM1A. I personally think the priciest option can be a shortcut of sorts towards the 1Z's performance, but the 1Z still has the edge in 3D-ness and bass physicality. So, if you're pining for a 1Z and you'd like neither the weight nor the extra $2K it'll cost you, the mod is definitely worth your time. But, if you have other purchases to consider, then I'd probably suggest going for the less expensive variants of the mod. I don't personally know how they change the WM1A's sound, but I'm sure the Music Sanctuary guys could help you out in that regard.

Thanks so much, while I would love a 1Z I use this for commuting and the 1A is heavy enough as it is haha. I'll have to look into the mod further once I've got my cable settled and the fund available.

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #9,115 of 39,414
but the 1Z still has the edge in 3D-ness and bass physicality.

That's a sweet deal man, congrats! Btw, when you say the 1Z still has the edge over the modded 1A, in aspects like 3D-ness and bass physicality, is it the modded 1Z? Or, does the unmodded 1Z itself has that edge?

Tagging @San Man as he is trying to decide between the 2.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #9,116 of 39,414
That's a sweet deal man, congrats! Btw, when you say the 1Z still has the edge over the modded 1A, in aspects like 3D-ness and bass physicality, is it the modded 1Z? Or, does the unmodded 1Z itself has that edge?

Tagging @San Man as he is trying to decide between the 2.

This was compared to a modded 1Z. Though, at this point, the mod was a few months away from being announced, so this might have been an early/unfinished iteration of the mod. I must also thank you for asking me this question because I just remembered that I auditioned the 1Z with a 4-wire 1960s, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. :D But, I've heard the same sentiments said by MS's staff, so the differences probably still exist but exaggerated by the cable pairing.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #9,118 of 39,414
This was compared to a modded 1Z. Though, at this point, the mod was a few months away from being announced, so this might have been an early/unfinished iteration of the mod. I must also thank you for asking me this question because I just remembered that I auditioned the 1Z with a 4-wire 1960s, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. :D But, I've heard the same sentiments said by MS's staff, so the differences probably still exist but exaggerated by the cable pairing.

Can you tell me a little more about what comprised each setup (modded 1a, XX iem, XX cable to modded 1z, XX iem, 1960 4 wire).

Thanks D!

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #9,119 of 39,414
I think the table at the end there has Presence and Upper Midrange switched around doesn't it? I thought presence was generally considered 2-3khz (for instance where Etymotic has a bump there), and Upper Midrange is the range between presence and treble?
+1 Always thought of Presence in that 2-3ish Ety like spot too. Also thought Presence generally consisted of a better part of the Upper Midrange

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #9,120 of 39,414
Can you tell me a little more about what comprised each setup (modded 1a, XX iem, XX cable to modded 1z, XX iem, 1960 4 wire).

Thanks D!

I heard both DAPs with the EE Zeus-XR, with the MS x EA Eos via 4.4mm balanced to the modded WM1A, and a 4-wire 1960s via 4.4mm balanced to the modded WM1Z. No problem, man! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back