flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 16, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #9,091 of 39,414
Guys, someone, anyone ! - With experience. Gimme some advice please !

I'm basically looking for a CIEM that can do Choral and classical with lifelike representation ( Something that resembles TAD or Voxativ/Lowther representation in the vocal area, forwardness/presence ) but accompanied by the highest possible resolution attainable while factoring this in. Budget has no limit, neither does IEM or CIEM,but CIEM may be preferable i think.

I was close to buying one of the last TOTL until i got Beyer T5P v2 and while the resolution is great, i find it doesn't have the wow factor i was looking for, how to describe this, like the impact of a really good hornspeaker, "you are there factor" with alot of BITE and BREATH at the same time while carrying impecable timbre (a la' TAD alnico compression horns )

I will insist on this part : immediacy of good high end cost no object horns, TAD, goto, ale. Good tube amps ( dap notwithstanding )

I use alot of words trying to describe this and i hope i got it through. It's hard in the world of headphones especially for someone who hasn't heard alot of them. I live in Romania and i don't know of a place here where i could listen so i must rely on reviews.

I am willing to go all in because i value timbre and resolution and wouldn't be happy with something that doesn't pass everything along with utmost transparency.

It doesn't matter if it's a 2010 model, if it was TOTL at the time and valued for the qualities i listed, i'd like to know.

I dont't want to get Lola and find it lacking in transparency, or to go phantom or andromeda and feel like i'm listening to hi-fi (again). I'd like the advice of someone who knows from experience how a TAD/Goto/compression horn sounds like, or a Lowther/Fostex/Voxativ style full-range speaker sounds like, to give me his opinion on what i can get to get as close as possible to either of them. My T5P's are great Hi-fi. Good headphones no doubt. But what i heard from a pair of fostex full range drivers in the past describes as midrange magic, 100% "you are there" factor. Through cheap amps ! Not Voxativ on 211 tubes, or 30000USD TAD/GOTO.

Advice greatly appreciated !

have you auditioned the vision ears VE8? or their TOTL ERLKONIG?

i find the VE8's immediacy reminded me of horns.

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #9,093 of 39,414
Like @squirrelman, I too just got back from AXPONA 2018 in Chicago.
Lots of cool gear to experience. If, like me, you've never experienced $250k+ home stereo systems, a show like this should be on your to-do list. Wow...

I spent a couple of hours in total with the EE Phantom. It has a wonderfully life-like tonality that I enjoyed very much.
I tend to zero in on the percussion in the mix as my benchmark, and the Phantoms did portray drums especially well - attack, sustain, depth are really well done.
However, I could not get past the way that cymbals lost their edge and overtones. I found the sense of conveyed space to suffer a bit as well.
Sadly not the iems for me.

The hybrid lineup from EE was also great. The Nemesis and Legend X were standouts for me.
Of course the low-end stands out for its power, but it did not feel overcooked, and only shines when the music requires it.
Hybrid fans will eat these up.

I also have to say that the EE universal shells are the most comfortable I've yet experienced - remarkable how stable they fit.

I also spent a lot time at the 64 Audio booth, and I think that is the direction I am headed. The 12t fits exactly what I am looking for.
The N8t was close runner-up in my book - very smooth and rich, but at the cost of a bit of a wooly bottom end.
how would you compare the phantom and legend with the 12t? im curious because i own the 12t and have yet to demo either phantom or legend

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #9,094 of 39,414
Anyone have experience with obravo? Comparison between EAMT0 or 1 vs Fourte if possible (since I’ve only ever tried the Fourte in this price range).

Edit: Did a search, seems like Obravo has a lot of problems (needing a desktop setup to sound good, for one).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #9,095 of 39,414

I can agree to some of the terms here. Though, personally, I’d consider the region they call “Low midrange” to still be part of the bass (upper-bass to be exact), and their definition of “Midrange” is closer to my definition of lower-to-centre midrange (I’m still trying to sort that one out :D). The description of presence and brilliance is generally agreeable - though I wouldn’t consider a dip in the presence region to give sound more transparency. It can certainly evoke naturalness, but I’ll have to experiment further with that. I agree quite fully with their description of brilliance, though I’d argue that it starts a bit further down the range.

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #9,096 of 39,414
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #9,097 of 39,414
I follow that quite closely, actually. I don't really use the terms "upper bass" and "lower treble" myself since I can simply attribute most frequencies in those regions (based on what I'm reading) to the lower midrange and upper midrange respectively.
Pretty much this. I consider their presence range part of highs or lower treble and brilliance range upper treble. Naming them things other than their band description just muddles things up. I also never cared for 'sub bass' and prefer low bass. It's not subsonic bass or below the bass which is what that description calls up. This is lay people taking over what should be more accurately described frequency regions. At the end of the day it's how these ranges relate to each other that gives an overall response impression and there's a lot more to goodness than simple band balance.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #9,098 of 39,414
Anyone have experience with obravo? Comparison between EAMT0 or 1 vs Fourte if possible (since I’ve only ever tried the Fourte in this price range).

Edit: Did a search, seems like Obravo has a lot of problems (needing a desktop setup to sound good, for one).
I owned the eamt-1c, and yes, I used a Hugo/LC setup to properly power them. Straight out of an iPhone or DAP (though I only had a Sony ZX1 and DX90 at the time) they sounded congested and not very cohesive from the mids through the lower treble. Power them up, and they take on a different character and perform wonderfully balanced and natural sounding. I have a set of Fourtes, and both are very dynamic phones with the Fourtes offering more sparkle and clarity in the treble area. Vocals might be slightly more recessed on the Fourtes but bass and mids generally are similar in timbre. Obravos are the most tip sensitive iems I ever had and different tips really produce much different results in sq. YMMV. Obravo does use non standard mmcx connectors so you can't swap cables without ordering cables with those specific connectors. Fit is much more comfortable and secure with the Fourtes. Also, Obravos are basically like open phones, so you can get a lot of ambient noise in a noisy enivironment. Ultimately, that was the primary reason I switched to Fourtes.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #9,099 of 39,414
did you find the N8t bassier than the double dd Empire Ears? or just less controlled?

I don't think the N8t is bassier OR less controlled - it's just tuned differently.
The N8t has its bass emphasis slightly higher in frequency than the EE hybrids.
The former is a warmer, thicker sound, while the latter's power really shines in the deepest registers.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #9,100 of 39,414
This year the star of the show for me by FAR was the giant Avantgarde system on the 16th floor. I felt like I was at a Rammstein concert with the wall shaking bass.

Right?!?! That system was incredible.
When amazing audio reproduction meets stunning visual design, something very special results...

2018-04-14 13.28.53.jpg

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #9,101 of 39,414
I don't think the N8t is bassier OR less controlled - it's just tuned differently.
The N8t has its bass emphasis slightly higher in frequency than the EE hybrids.
The former is a warmer, thicker sound, while the latter's power really shines in the deepest registers.

I fully agree with these sentiments. As I touched on in my write-up, the EE hybrids have a more textured, guttural and sub-bass-focused low-end. The N8t is warmer, mid-bass-focused and more analog-sounding; almost tube-like in nature.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #9,102 of 39,414
I fully agree with these sentiments. As I touched on in my write-up, the EE hybrids have a more textured, guttural and sub-bass-focused low-end. The N8t is warmer, mid-bass-focused and more analog-sounding; almost tube-like in nature.

This is a lot what I felt too, had the N8t been available right away and I hadn't fallen in love with the Fourte I would have picked them I think (price depending). My goal is to enjoy the Fourte for now, and then snag a pair of N8t customs during Black Friday this year as I think they will be a nice compliment.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #9,103 of 39,414
how would you compare the phantom and legend with the 12t? im curious because i own the 12t and have yet to demo either phantom or legend

I would say the 12t has a warmer tilt than either the phantom or the legend.
That warmth and smoothness coupled with the airy top-end hooked me in...

The legend has that sweet, sweet dynamic driver sub-bass that no BA can really touch, yet it's still a resolving, extended piece.
I thought it was exceptional. I just wasn't in the market for that sound, as I already have a good hybrid (albeit not that good).

The phantom was also great. Reminded me in some ways of listening to certain vinyl tracks through a good system.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #9,105 of 39,414
I would say the 12t has a warmer tilt than either the phantom or the legend.
That warmth and smoothness coupled with the airy top-end hooked me in...

The legend has that sweet, sweet dynamic driver sub-bass that no BA can really touch, yet it's still a resolving, extended piece.
I thought it was exceptional. I just wasn't in the market for that sound, as I already have a good hybrid (albeit not that good).

The phantom was also great. Reminded me in some ways of listening to certain vinyl tracks through a good system.

Hmmm... I remember the U12t being more neutral in tone. But, I do remember some members disagreeing over the IEM’s overall signature; maybe there are different-sounding models out there like the U18t and the Fourte did when I tried them at CanJam SG and at Jaben Indonesia. I’ll definitely give it another try at MS when I visit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back