flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 12, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #6,871 of 39,414
Awesome nic, it is always welcome when you have a new toys to spend a christmas and holiday with. Really looking forward to hear the infinity impression from you, really interesting new line up there.

about rhapsodio, of course at one point I have considered them when i looking for some TOTL lineup. I have looked up lot of reviews and solar is really tempting to get.
but after some other lookup one thing that made me reconsider is the vast choice of the lineup and the type, the galaxy itself has the rev1 and the rev1 with different housing or something, and they also got a bunch other model like earth, RT1 i also saw this mythical gold rhapsodio IEM thing in the singapore lsiting website which i couldn't find any information about. Seeing galaxy itself has reach v3 now made me feels they have a really fast model iteration that with my budger right now is honestly quite hard to catch up.
That's the gift and curse of Rhapsodio. Their product lineup refreshes so fast it's hard to keep up unless you have a vested interest in the company. I remember he was working on a planar IEM as well (during the Galaxy V1 hype train period), and when it was finally released it was a limited run of 15 units only. And Galaxy V3 (in gold-coloured V1 housing) only surfaced on his FB and IG pages, not available in their official store unless you PM him directly.

It's like Sammy is always tinkering with new stuff and releasing them all, rather than picking the best of the lot and focusing on that. And as to which IEM has flagship status it's still up in the air, since he likes one TOTL-tier monitor from each category (multi-BA, DD, hybrid), and Infinity in all honesty sounds like a novelty item rather than a true contender bcos of its huge driver count.

Contrast that with another high-end Hong Kong IEM company Tralucent, and their lineup is neat and tidy. Just three to choose from 1Plus2.2, Ref 1 Too and 5Plus. Never mind that the pricing is even more insane lol.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #6,872 of 39,414
Do you know what the Zombie price point will be?
Did a quick check, facebook page seems to put it at $1800.
On the 'Rhapsodio Store' site the Zombie seems to cost $1600: https://www.rhapsodiostore.com/products/rdb-mk-8-zombie
Btw, happy listening Nic. Some nice HK line-up you've got over there! :ksc75smile:

Sammy is nice, and he has some / a lot of talent in terms of tuning. However I feel that at full price, his iems are a bit overpriced. And I sometimes wonder if he doesn't know it and take us a bit for audio-fools. And don't get me started on the infrared stickers.
Wouldn't know about the stickers and I think only a decent A-B test could give insight in if they work or not.
One positive thing about Rhapsodio (c)iems though is that they usually come with a nice upgrade cable instead of a plain/cheap stock one. As I still enjoy my Solar after all these years, that one never gave me the feeling that I paid too much for it. But I have to be honest that I bought it at the time that he had a '3 years anniversary' discount on it.

That's the gift and curse of Rhapsodio. Their product lineup refreshes so fast it's hard to keep up unless you have a vested interest in the company. I remember he was working on a planar IEM as well (during the Galaxy V1 hype train period), and when it was finally released it was a limited run of 15 units only. And Galaxy V3 (in gold-coloured V1 housing) only surfaced on his FB and IG pages, not available in their official store unless you PM him directly.

It's like Sammy is always tinkering with new stuff and releasing them all, rather than picking the best of the lot and focusing on that. And as to which IEM has flagship status it's still up in the air, since he likes one TOTL-tier monitor from each category (multi-BA, DD, hybrid), and Infinity in all honesty sounds like a novelty item rather than a true contender bcos of its huge driver count.

Contrast that with another high-end Hong Kong IEM company Tralucent, and their lineup is neat and tidy. Just three to choose from 1Plus2.2, Ref 1 Too and 5Plus. Never mind that the pricing is even more insane lol.
Yeah...(Tralucent) Gavin is probably more some kind of businessman, where Sammy probably has a higher level of 'mad genius' blood running through his veins :grin:
200.gif

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #6,873 of 39,414
Sammy is nice, and he has some / a lot of talent in terms of tuning. However I feel that at full price, his iems are a bit overpriced. And I sometimes wonder if he doesn't know it and take us a bit for audio-fools. And don't get me started on the infrared stickers.
Hi Mim I understand your sentiment. In general, audio prices are very high.

But let's break down the cost of an iem like the Solar for instance, although this applies to all multi-BA iems. The Solar consists of 10 BA drivers on each side, which cost between $20-$30 each. So let's say 20 x $25 = $500. However, the labor cost to put it together by a trained engineer is usually around $200, bringing the total to $700. This might seem like a large margin on an iem of $1500, but the majority of sales is in countries like Japan, followed by China, Korea, and Singapore. The Western market is negligible by comparison. Sales in these countries goes via distribution, which takes 35% of the MRSP, which in the case of the Solar is $500 out of $800, leaving $300. And like Erik points out, this excludes the production cost of a quality, hand-built cable.

Now, your appropriate response is to point at single dynamic drivers like the Galaxy. Even the most expensive dynamic driver costs less than $100, so the margins are indeed significantly larger compared to multi-BA's. I'm not sure there is a need for any single dynamic driver iem to cost over $1K, with the exception of the Dream which uses expensive materials, and is outsourced for production in Japan. I probably shouldn't even mention the RE2000, which I think most likely only costs $2K is according to Brian Fang's famous words, "because it sounds good".

However, Sammy spends several months developing these dynamic drivers himself, experimenting with different materials (graphene, titanium, etc). More importantly, from a practical perspective his situation is that as a small business owner he needs to pay rent for 3 workshops in a pricey city as HK, which costs approx. $3K. Then he has 5 employees to pay salary for, let's say $2K each per month, plus himself. So to break even, he needs to make a profit of at least $15K per month.

As I mentioned, I've been speaking to Sammy for over 2 years. The conversational topics are nearly always about whatever projects he's working on, but that he doesn't have the money to pursue to them. Sammy likes to constantly play with stuff and dreams big, but he mostly doesn't have the resources to do what he would like. If I scroll back through the conversation, I can probably find at least 20 instances of him telling me "I'm broke", also often as reply on my urging him to get more reviews out for promotion. These 3 iems are also not samples for me, I will be sending them on to other reviewers later. (Btw, other recurring topics are which companies have been attacking him on the local forum hehe).

So just to be clear, I'm not saying you are wrong, or that this is a big defense of Sammy and Rhapsodio; just to say that the situation is often more nuanced than manufacturers playing people for a fool. Conversely, also not saying all manufacturers are saints of course.
Awesome nic, it is always welcome when you have a new toys to spend a christmas and holiday with. Really looking forward to hear the infinity impression from you, really interesting new line up there.

about rhapsodio, of course at one point I have considered them when i looking for some TOTL lineup. I have looked up lot of reviews and solar is really tempting to get.
but after some other lookup one thing that made me reconsider is the vast choice of the lineup and the type, the galaxy itself has the rev1 and the rev1 with different housing or something, and they also got a bunch other model like earth, RT1 i also saw this mythical gold rhapsodio IEM thing in the singapore lsiting website which i couldn't find any information about. Seeing galaxy itself has reach v3 now made me feels they have a really fast model iteration that with my budger right now is honestly quite hard to catch up.
Yes as Lau replied very eloquently:
That's the gift and curse of Rhapsodio. Their product lineup refreshes so fast it's hard to keep up unless you have a vested interest in the company.
When I first got into TOTL iems and cables, I purchased most of Rhapsodio's cables. But Sammy's problem is that like the rest of us, he constantly wants to try new stuff. So every year he would refresh his whole cable lineup, or offer multiple similarly-priced copper cables at the same time, making it very hard for the customer to know what's going on and what to choose. Even I had to give up pretty quick. The case of the Galaxy shell is similar. Sammy keeps on experimenting with different shells (I've seen pictures of even more types of housing with different materials) because he likes to play around. It's not the best economic model, hence Sammy's image of 'mad scientist' rather than marketing & strategy expert.

Now for the Infinity, I'm going to be honest and confirm Lau's suspicion here.
..Infinity in all honesty sounds like a novelty item rather than a true contender bcos of its huge driver count.
Infinity's allure is its huge driver count. But there is already a current awareness that more drivers does not give 'more midrange' or 'more resolution'; you can only use more drivers and crossovers to fine-tune a frequency response to your liking. Whether that happens with 3, 6, or 12 drivers is not necessarily very relevant (I've heard that FA Lab 2 is one of the best iems and only uses 2 BA's for instance). And as we have seen in the shootout, there was no real trend between driver count and performance, at least according to my own judgment.

In the case of Infinity, I'm afraid that this will not live up to the hype. It has a pleasant tone, nice timbre even, but the imaging is not very precise and the vocal transparency is low. One might say.. there is some weirdness in the vocals (too soon?). In this case, I suspect there is some incoherency in the driver implementation, so the timing between the frequencies is off. I've already discussed this with Sammy, and most likely the Infinity will be shelved unfortunately. The Zombie however is not only more realistically priced, it shows a promising sound that quite frankly surpasses the Infinity.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #6,874 of 39,414
if there is a ciem company that is highly overpriced , it ain't Rhapsodio which probably sells 5% of what the other overpirced company sells

so here @Mimouille was once wrong

cheers

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #6,875 of 39,414
Hi Mim I understand your sentiment. In general, audio prices are very high.

But let's break down the cost of an iem like the Solar for instance, although this applies to all multi-BA iems. The Solar consists of 10 BA drivers on each side, which cost between $20-$30 each. So let's say 20 x $25 = $500. However, the labor cost to put it together by a trained engineer is usually around $200, bringing the total to $700. This might seem like a large margin on an iem of $1500, but the majority of sales is in countries like Japan, followed by China, Korea, and Singapore. The Western market is negligible by comparison. Sales in these countries goes via distribution, which takes 35% of the MRSP, which in the case of the Solar is $500 out of $800, leaving $300. And like Erik points out, this excludes the production cost of a quality, hand-built cable.

Now, your appropriate response is to point at single dynamic drivers like the Galaxy. Even the most expensive dynamic driver costs less than $100, so the margins are indeed significantly larger compared to multi-BA's. I'm not sure there is a need for any single dynamic driver iem to cost over $1K, with the exception of the Dream which uses expensive materials, and is outsourced for production in Japan. I probably shouldn't even mention the RE2000, which I think most likely only costs $2K is according to Brian Fang's famous words, "because it sounds good".

However, Sammy spends several months developing these dynamic drivers himself, experimenting with different materials (graphene, titanium, etc). More importantly, from a practical perspective his situation is that as a small business owner he needs to pay rent for 3 workshops in a pricey city as HK, which costs approx. $3K. Then he has 5 employees to pay salary for, let's say $2K each per month, plus himself. So to break even, he needs to make a profit of at least $15K per month.

As I mentioned, I've been speaking to Sammy for over 2 years. The conversational topics are nearly always about whatever projects he's working on, but that he doesn't have the money to pursue to them. Sammy likes to constantly play with stuff and dreams big, but he mostly doesn't have the resources to do what he would like. If I scroll back through the conversation, I can probably find at least 20 instances of him telling me "I'm broke", also often as reply on my urging him to get more reviews out for promotion. These 3 iems are also not samples for me, I will be sending them on to other reviewers later. (Btw, other recurring topics are which companies have been attacking him on the local forum hehe).

So just to be clear, I'm not saying you are wrong, or that this is a big defense of Sammy and Rhapsodio; just to say that the situation is often more nuanced than manufacturers playing people for a fool. Conversely, also not saying all manufacturers are saints of course.

as someone in some thread (which i already forget where) said we , in this hobby, should always remember that we are on a niche market. the so-called premium audio segment only there for a tiny fragment of a customer in a whole world` compared to , say , general consumer electronic or maybe even car. that is why for product that actually cost cheap to build the company must sell it at a high price to cover all the production cost. i think in sammy case he doesnt even earn that much as the cost is mainly goes for another research material and i'm sure it's not cheap. maybe we could see ourselves that rhapsodio put almost none in their website about artist endorsement while some "other" company do that heavily. indicating the money goes more into technical and development stuff rather than marketing. (well of course this is only my guess and my opinion i don't know what really happen in the background)

when i said i couldn't catch up i actually meant it's a fault on my side. if i run a gigantic multicompany i wouldn't whine about lots of line up and just bought them all together. but in my current situation where even affording one TOTL cost me up a whole year of saving, i should think carefully before allocating the funds for the CIEM. as the price of CIEM drops significantly in the second hand market i just thought it is wiser to choose company with a more stable line and of course do a lot of research before buying so i don't end up with sounds that i don't like and enjoy :)

like a saying in my country
"there are no expensive hobby, it's just you are too poor to afford it" :p

if there is a ciem company that is highly overpriced , it ain't Rhapsodio which probably sells 5% of what the other overpirced company sells

so here @Mimouille was once wrong

cheers

well rhapsodio is a quite expensive already but that one company offer is really expensive isn't it
i forget how their IEM name goes, it think its kinda like four...four... 4k or something
yep cannot afford it now i guess

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #6,876 of 39,414
like a saying in my country
"there are no expensive hobby, it's just you are too poor to afford it" :p
It is all about perspective. Yesterday I had a meeting where during the discussion the hobby of collecting First Edition books came up, makes this hobby look pretty cheap by comparison. :D

Hmmm... Maybe I can use that. You know, start talking about getting a very seasonal Xmas present; that First Edition of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol I saw recently (at £15k). We'll be walking through London:
Me: "Hey look, an antiquarian book shop!"
My wife: "Oh look, isn't that your audiologist? Let's go there instead!"
Brilliant! Mwuhahaha! :imp:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #6,877 of 39,414
It is all about perspective. Yesterday I had a meeting where during the discussion the hobby of collecting First Edition books came up, makes this hobby look pretty cheap by comparison. :D

Hmmm... Maybe I can use that. You know, start talking about getting a very seasonal Xmas present; that First Edition of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol I saw recently (at £15k). We'll be walking through London:
Me: "Hey look, an antiquarian book shop!"
My wife: "Oh look, isn't that your audiologist? Let's go there instead!"
Brilliant! Mwuhahaha! :imp:
Brilliant strategy, but i think your wife may just volunteer to keep your wallet

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #6,878 of 39,414
Recently I was wondering if there are any great dynamic or hybrid IEM that is worth trying. Since I audition the Tia Fourtie I was somehow addicted to a dynamic driver bass. So I went back to full sized headphone and give my TH-X00 a good amount of listening. There is just something special about the bass that a dynamic driver delivers. In an effort to fulfil my curiosity, I went to demo the Vega, AAW900 and RE$000. The Fourte is just.... a little far of reach at the moment....

Apart from Vega / AAW900 or maybe RE$000, are there any more solid choices? Would a portable amp do better than the SP1000? Or it would be a better choice and go towards full sized headphone for better performance/ implementation in the dynamic driver, such as Focal Elear. Is it the reason why there is so few dynamic driver based TOTL iems on the market compared to BA drivers as dynamic is so much harder to execute in an IEM form factor?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #6,879 of 39,414
Recently I was wondering if there are any great dynamic or hybrid IEM that is worth trying. Since I audition the Tia Fourtie I was somehow addicted to a dynamic driver bass. So I went back to full sized headphone and give my TH-X00 a good amount of listening. There is just something special about the bass that a dynamic driver delivers. In an effort to fulfil my curiosity, I went to demo the Vega, AAW900 and RE$000. The Fourte is just.... a little far of reach at the moment....

Apart from Vega / AAW900 or maybe RE$000, are there any more solid choices? Would a portable amp do better than the SP1000? Or it would be a better choice and go towards full sized headphone for better performance/ implementation in the dynamic driver, such as Focal Elear. Is it the reason why there is so few dynamic driver based TOTL iems on the market compared to BA drivers as dynamic is so much harder to execute in an IEM form factor?

I would definitely wait and see what Empire Ears has in store. Won't be long now. :wink:

Also, see if the DUNU DK-3001 fits comfortably. Awesome sound. Possibly the best dynamic-driver bass I've heard from an IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #6,881 of 39,414

Have you considered the new Tia Trio?

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #6,882 of 39,414
Have you considered the new Tia Trio?

I would definitely wait and see what Empire Ears has in store. Won't be long now. :wink:

Also, see if the DUNU DK-3001 fits comfortably. Awesome sound. Possibly the best dynamic-driver bass I've heard from an IEM.

I am in no rush, I will definitely wait for the Trio and Empire Ear's new product. Let me go search for the DK-3001. A middle priced dynamic is also a choice for me as I want to add some fun to my music and have more things to fiddle with without breaking the bank "again". :D :jecklinsmile:

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #6,883 of 39,414
I am in no rush, I will definitely wait for the Trio and Empire Ear's new product. Let me go search for the DK-3001. A middle priced dynamic is also a choice for me as I want to add some fun to my music and have more things to fiddle with without breaking the bank "again". :D :jecklinsmile:

In some ears, mostly Westerners, this DUNU can be quite uncomfortable. But it sounds SOOOOOO good. That's why I say, if it fits you well, definitely think about picking one up.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #6,884 of 39,414

The Dita Dream has the best DD bass I have heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back