flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #6,841 of 39,414
Y'know, tinnitus/hearing really IS an issue with listening to music-less so with speakers (though you can certainly blast your ears and damage them with them), more so with over/on ears, and iem's would be the most likely to cause problems. It's easy to picture why-they are a direct assault on your ear drums, close up and easy to overdo. I try to make it a point to find the volume I like, then turn it down a few notches, wait a bit, if it's OK, turn it down a bit more. The lower volumes are usually fine in terms of the music (when I go too low I readjust), but my initial perception generally leads me to a higher volume than I really need (and likely isn't great on my ears).
(there are studies documenting increasing hearing loss in the headphone generation...)

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #6,842 of 39,414
And tomorrow...
"Hiya all, I'm back! What's new?"
doggiecart.gif

And the Best Giffer Award for 2017 goes to @Wyville

Although, the cart looks a bit small to hold what @ranfan is getting soon.

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #6,843 of 39,414
I'm listening music with the VE8 since this morning and that's a very addictive sound! Compared to EM10 it's a less congested sound and a different sense of musicality, compared to the SE5U it's much more engaging!

so , do you feel it's better than SE5 ?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #6,844 of 39,414
Y'know, tinnitus/hearing really IS an issue with listening to music-less so with speakers (though you can certainly blast your ears and damage them with them), more so with over/on ears, and iem's would be the most likely to cause problems. It's easy to picture why-they are a direct assault on your ear drums, close up and easy to overdo. I try to make it a point to find the volume I like, then turn it down a few notches, wait a bit, if it's OK, turn it down a bit more. The lower volumes are usually fine in terms of the music (when I go too low I readjust), but my initial perception generally leads me to a higher volume than I really need (and likely isn't great on my ears).
(there are studies documenting increasing hearing loss in the headphone generation...)

Unfortunately I think tinnitus is somewhat distinct from hearing loss and not strictly volume related/preventable (though obviously can be, as anyone who has experienced ringing after a concert or traumatic noise can attest) - it is possible to have tinnitus without having unnatural hearing loss as is my case (though there can be a masking effect at tinnitus frequency). AFAICT from what I've read the most common (and least treatable) form of tinnitus is actually a type of brain malfunction where it's basically just misinterpreting some signal or absense of signal as a high frequency noise (for instance even some deaf people experience tinnitus).

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #6,845 of 39,414
You are correct that you can have hearing loss for other reasons, central nervous system conditions, medications. However, hearing loss is very strongly associated with it. The type you describe from a noisy concert can be considered an "early warning signal"; that is, it doesn't mean your hearing is shot, but you can consider it your ears telling you they didn't like the loud sounds, and continuing could result in hearing loss (so, it is correct that it doesn't mean you lost hearing that moment leaving the concert, but you didn't do your ears a favor...)
http://www.betterhearing.org/hearingpedia/hearing-loss-prevention/tinnitus

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #6,846 of 39,414
It's kinda hard to post amidst this heated discussion but just want to share some moar poison that they have already in japan

by seven hells i have heard mellianus is in development for some time, but never thought there will be a re iteration for original oriolus or even samba
there is so much TOTL offer my head hurts
Don't forget of these too

http://www.e-earphone.jp/hyla/la-1-nervax

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #6,847 of 39,414
Dec 11, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #6,848 of 39,414
so , do you feel it's better than SE5 ?

To my taste, yes, I feel it better. I listen to a lot of dub and digital stuffs which are often poorly recorded, old rock too, and for that kind of music the SE5U is not the best. When I'm listening to jazz, classic, or trip hop and ambient music, the SE5U shows how technical and natural it can be, but sometimes it fails to be musical...

From a pure technical point of view the VE8 manages better more music genres, it is not as serious as the SE5U is. Technically the SE5U wins with more versatility to the track, as the stage sizes, the subtle tone nuances or so. But that's so serious ! I need some fun and that's what the EM10 and VE8 convey.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #6,849 of 39,414
happy anniversary @Wyville , hoping we celebrate your 2nd birthday with you surrounded by TOTL ciems and puppies :headphones::headphones::headphones:

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #6,850 of 39,414
happy anniversary @Wyville , hoping we celebrate your 2nd birthday with you surrounded by TOTL ciems and puppies :headphones::headphones::headphones:
Thanks bud! I am working hard on making that happen! :D

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #6,851 of 39,414
@doctorjazz of course you are right, I am just trying to clarify that even with careful volume management, it is still possible to develop tinnitus.

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #6,852 of 39,414
I have to say, the Hyla LA-1 looks more like Oriolus Reborn, than Oriolus Reborn to Oriolus Reborn. Lol. :D

ori4_s.jpg

23734951_130106317633191_6976725982061264896_n.jpg

What's @ranfan getting now? New headphones?

Just realised that it is my 1-year head-fi anniversary today! :D
anigif_sub-buzz-28994-1475157839-2.gif
Hello. Happy anniversary Wyville. Wish you lots of puppies, and IEMs. Researching must be tough, but you still provide some time to send dog-gifs to cheer us from time-to-time. Thank you. :thumbsup: In return, I'm going to send you a present. Good luck, and take care. :) (Make sure you keep those dog-gifs in stock for next year).

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6,853 of 39,414
Hello. Happy anniversary Wyville. Wish you lots of puppies, and IEMs. Researching must be tough, but you still provide some time to send dog-gifs to cheer us from time-to-time. Thank you. :thumbsup: In return, I'm going to send you a present. Good luck, and take care. :) (Make sure you keep those dog-gifs in stock for next year).
Thanks bud! No need for presents, I enjoy hanging around here and bothering you guys with doggy gifs. Gives me a little distraction when the research gets too grinding! :D

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6,854 of 39,414
I'm listening music with the VE8 since this morning and that's a very addictive sound! Compared to EM10 it's a less congested sound and a different sense of musicality, compared to the SE5U it's much more engaging!

Thank you Nic, Subguy812 and Mimouille to help me in my choice :wink:
You are welcome...glad to help

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #6,855 of 39,414
What's @ranfan getting now? New headphones?

Just realised that it is my 1-year head-fi anniversary today! :D
anigif_sub-buzz-28994-1475157839-2.gif

Congratulations bud... Apart from the Best Giffer Award, as @ezekiel77 pointed out, you deserve a standing ovation for the fact that you have completed one year without splurging too much on gears, unlike some of us here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back