flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 13, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #6,886 of 39,414
In some ears, mostly Westerners, this DUNU can be quite uncomfortable. But it sounds SOOOOOO good. That's why I say, if it fits you well, definitely think about picking one up.
I agree...sound damn good. Shallow fit and comfort can be an issue.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #6,887 of 39,414
I agree...sound damn good. Shallow fit and comfort can be an issue.

Yup, I got the same problem with the Vega. Very hard to wear. They are so small, they are so loose even to my small ears. The shallow fit is also an issue. I think I got to prepare some larger / longer tips for the Vega when I demo it again.

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #6,888 of 39,414
Recently I was wondering if there are any great dynamic or hybrid IEM that is worth trying. Since I audition the Tia Fourtie I was somehow addicted to a dynamic driver bass. So I went back to full sized headphone and give my TH-X00 a good amount of listening. There is just something special about the bass that a dynamic driver delivers. In an effort to fulfil my curiosity, I went to demo the Vega, AAW900 and RE$000. The Fourte is just.... a little far of reach at the moment....

Apart from Vega / AAW900 or maybe RE$000, are there any more solid choices? Would a portable amp do better than the SP1000? Or it would be a better choice and go towards full sized headphone for better performance/ implementation in the dynamic driver, such as Focal Elear. Is it the reason why there is so few dynamic driver based TOTL iems on the market compared to BA drivers as dynamic is so much harder to execute in an IEM form factor?

I have not heard Xelento, but have heard the predecessor AK T8iE MKII, which has a very fun sound. If you can locate it, it should be on your demo list. The lower-tier Ditas (Answer, Truth) are no slouch either. And far east, a remarkable company named Ocharaku has made quality dual dynamics in the Flat4 series. The only things to note are they're hard to obtain, and the treble can be sibilant (especially Kaede II). The founder of Ocharaku was the sound engineer in charge of tuning the legendary Sony EX-1000. So... that's all the good dynamics I know.

As for hybrids, while I think nothing surpasses W900 at this point (discounting Fourte which I haven't heard), Oriolus MK2 is very capable as well. It has a laid-back, warmish and airy sound. Good bass, mids and treble although coloured. Not the last word in detail and resolution, but an absolute keeper for me.

EDIT: Oh oh one more! IE800S. Haven't heard it, following the thread. Very good impressions thus far.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #6,889 of 39,414
Interesting, I'm very curious :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Me too! But just wanted to say that I am loving your profile picture, such wisdom! :D

Love Calvin & Hobbes!
5.jpg

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #6,890 of 39,414
For anybody interested the graphs of Zombie and Infinity, with permission from Sammy (please pardon the crappy pics).

Infinity
Infinity.jpg

Zombie
Zombie.jpg

Compared to the, no less crappy, pic of the Solar.
Solar.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #6,892 of 39,414
Thank you @flinkenick, I guess those measurements aren't compensated, isn't?

@Gavin C4 , hybrids are not as common as BA-only IEMs as it's particularly difficult to align BA and DD phases, impedance are not the same, etc... Except that, old contenders in the CIEM game are now able to produce realistic and powerful low end tone with the balanced armature transducer technology, hence no need to use a dynamic driver or so.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #6,893 of 39,414
Thank you @flinkenick, I guess those measurements aren't compensated, isn't?

@Gavin C4 , hybrids are not as common as BA-only IEMs as it's particularly difficult to align BA and DD phases, impedance are not the same, etc... Except that, old contenders in the CIEM game are now able to produce realistic and powerful low end tone with the balanced armature transducer technology, hence no need to use a dynamic driver or so.
While it is true, nothing beats dynamic in sheer quantity without sacrificing quality

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #6,894 of 39,414
Thanks,
I'm a big fan too, of course.
Bill Watterson has been able to put so much sagacity in just one strip.
Yeah, he did an amazing job with Calvin & Hobbes. I have the complete collectors edition, which was a gift from my wife because she felt it read like my biography. :D That is also why I have them dancing away on my Ei.3!

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #6,896 of 39,414
Dec 14, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #6,897 of 39,414
More details regarding Jomo Audio’s Haka were just revealed today; it will be a single-BA IEM priced at SGD 499: https://www.jomoaudio.com/products/haka-uiem

I managed to demo the Haka while I was at Music Sanctuary and I have mixed feelings. Its technical performance is highly cable-dependent, but I found the overall signature dark, full, and worryingly veiled. There’s certainly no lack of bass as far as quantity is concerned, but the demo unit’s treble performance left a lot to be desired. Hopefully, the production units end up performing to a much better degree, and I hope the custom unit I should be receiving will sound better too.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #6,898 of 39,414
I know many are curious about Oriolus and various other Japan exclusive models, I’ll be heading to Portafes tomorrow and will be sure to report back with interesting findings. However, at present I would like to take some time to introduce a new player within the upper echelons of audio. Those who attended the November Autumn audio show in Japan may already be familiar but they’ve kept pretty exclusive to Japan this year, in fact, their models are hard to find even there.

I recently had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Yu who masterminded Oriolus. He introduced a new direction he’s taking with his designs under a new alias, Hyla (Hira in Japan) which will be joining Oriolus and PW Audio under his supervision. Using his experiences at Oriolus, Yu hopes to further refine his designs with Hyla, which comes off as more experimental and potentially geared more towards an international audience whatever that may entail. At present, Hyla offer two models, the CE-5 which is quite reminiscent of the Oriolus MKII but revised based on feedback for that model in addition to a higher-end model dubbed the Nerva X or LA-1 based upon the Mellianus.

CE-5:

The CE-5 is the more experimental of the two as its quad-driver setup comprises not only of a hybrid single dynamic + dual BA but an additional piezoelectric tweeter. I have seen some models from 1More and Radius using a similar type of driver but Hyla’s execution is a bit different, I will confirm in more detail when I get my hands on some English material. Other changes include a longer nozzle and retuned sound though it carries a similar RRP to the MKII, hovering around $1k USD. Of note, my tester unit lacked a PW cable instead implementing a more standard CIEM-style unit.

tfeRAOn.jpg

I was lucky to get a nice day of listening in while catching a quiet train up to Fuji, but I’ve still only spent a day with the CE-5 so take these impressions with a grain of salt. At the very least, I can confirm this is an interesting earphone that pursues an engaging v-shaped signature. Of course, beyond personal preference, it's the execution that counts, and the CE-5 is certainly a resolving earphone though I will need to AB more to provide more absolute statements. Onto the more subjective, the CE-5 has great bass extension and a quite a lot of emphasis relative to most earphones around this price. That said, bass is well controlled with defined, visceral rumble. Mid-bass seems a little bloomy on first impression but the earphone doesn’t sound remotely flabby or loose. Mids are slightly bright and sit slightly behind in the mix. They are naturally voiced and quite transparent, especially within the upper midrange where lower mids are a little warm. Clarity is also enhanced and background details are very well-resolved despite not bearing the brightest, airiest tuning. Highs are also well-extended but focus lies within the lower-treble making them aggressive and energetic over airy and delicate. They construct a large stage and their smoother middle/upper treble grants them with a clean presentation and darker background despite their more energetic midrange and lower-treble. So far I’m really enjoying the CE-5, it has a tastefully engaging signature that doesn’t compromise balance too much and it nails the technicalities. The longer nozzle also makes this an incredibly isolating earphone and they were perfectly comfortable during my first day of use.

Nerva-X:

Using the Mellianus as a foundation, the Verva employs a similar 10BA driver setup and the same design but Yu has implemented sterling silver housings as opposed to plastic and the internal chambers have been redesigned, I can't confirm any driver changes at present. The unit I tested was also attached to a new copper PW cable that exceeded $2300 IEM in price so unfortunately, I can’t comment on either the Mellianus or the stock Nerva X, but it does look like this model brings some very welcome improvements for the same asking price. As aforementioned, take these first impressions with a grain of salt.

u2R9FHC.jpg

The Nerva is immediately more balanced than the CE-5, it lacks the treble aggression and is rather a little darker and smoother with a U to gentle L-shaped sound. But despite its lesser treble energy, it is immensely detailed and very well extended if still not particularly airy, especially compared to earphones like the Andro and Katana. What surprised me most was the Nerva’s bass, they have awesome extension and not just for a BA earphone. In fact, a few listeners at the table mistook them for a hybrid; had I not been told by Mr. Yu, I would have completely believed that the thump, slam and impact of the Nerva's bass were created by a dynamic driver too. As for the qualities of that bass, like the CE-5, it is full yet tight, physical yet defined. However, the Nerva has greater articulation than the CE-5; though it is similarly impactful, it is a quicker more detailed earphone as it should be considering the price increase. The Nerva also had a really nice stage and a natural, impressively linear midrange from memory. For my tastes, the Nerva is the earphones I would listen to every day where the CE-5 is geared more towards instant gratification. That said, both are still balanced and technical enough to excel with analytical listening and neither falter under scrutiny as a lot of earphones with these styles of tuning tend to.

A5Ni6DP.jpg

So that’s the basic rundown, apologies for rambling and noisy photos, I can’t imagine how long tomorrow’s report will be! I’ve always been curious about Oriolus and PW so having the opportunity to try Mr. Yu’s latest creations was not only a great experience but a great honour. Yu definitely isn't shooting for anything “reference” with Hyla, rather, these are immensely engaging earphones built atop solid ergonomics and technical performance. I think the CE-5 will please a great many during tomorrow's show but the Nerva will shine over more extended listening.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #6,899 of 39,414
I know many are curious about Oriolus and various other Japan exclusive models, I’ll be heading to Portafes tomorrow and will be sure to report back with interesting findings. However, at present I would like to take some time to introduce a new player within the upper echelons of audio. Those who attended the November Autumn audio show in Japan may already be familiar but they’ve kept pretty exclusive to Japan this year, in fact, their models are hard to find even there.

I recently had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Yu who masterminded Oriolus. He introduced a new direction he’s taking with his designs under a new alias, Hyla (Hira in Japan) which will be joining Oriolus and PW Audio under his supervision. Using his experiences at Oriolus, Yu hopes to further refine his designs with Hyla, which comes off as more experimental and potentially geared more towards an international audience whatever that may entail. At present, Hyla offer two models, the CE-5 which is quite reminiscent of the Oriolus MKII but revised based on feedback for that model in addition to a higher-end model dubbed the Nerva X or LA-1 based upon the Mellianus.

CE-5:

The CE-5 is the more experimental of the two as its quad-driver setup comprises not only of a hybrid single dynamic + dual BA but an additional piezoelectric tweeter. I have seen some models from 1More and Radius using a similar type of driver but Hyla’s execution is a bit different, I will confirm in more detail when I get my hands on some English material. Other changes include a longer nozzle and retuned sound though it carries a similar RRP to the MKII, hovering around $1k USD. Of note, my tester unit lacked a PW cable instead implementing a more standard CIEM-style unit.

tfeRAOn.jpg

I was lucky to get a nice day of listening in while catching a quiet train up to Fuji, but I’ve still only spent a day with the CE-5 so take these impressions with a grain of salt. At the very least, I can confirm this is an interesting earphone that pursues an engaging v-shaped signature. Of course, beyond personal preference, it's the execution that counts, and the CE-5 is certainly a resolving earphone though I will need to AB more to provide more absolute statements. Onto the more subjective, the CE-5 has great bass extension and a quite a lot of emphasis relative to most earphones around this price. That said, bass is well controlled with defined, visceral rumble. Mid-bass seems a little bloomy on first impression but the earphone doesn’t sound remotely flabby or loose. Mids are slightly bright and sit slightly behind in the mix. They are naturally voiced and quite transparent, especially within the upper midrange where lower mids are a little warm. Clarity is also enhanced and background details are very well-resolved despite not bearing the brightest, airiest tuning. Highs are also well-extended but focus lies within the lower-treble making them aggressive and energetic over airy and delicate. They construct a large stage and their smoother middle/upper treble grants them with a clean presentation and darker background despite their more energetic midrange and lower-treble. So far I’m really enjoying the CE-5, it has a tastefully engaging signature that doesn’t compromise balance too much and it nails the technicalities. The longer nozzle also makes this an incredibly isolating earphone and they were perfectly comfortable during my first day of use.

Nerva-X:

Using the Mellianus as a foundation, the Verva employs a similar 10BA driver setup and the same design but Yu has implemented sterling silver housings as opposed to plastic and the internal chambers have been redesigned, I can't confirm any driver changes at present. The unit I tested was also attached to a new copper PW cable that exceeded $2300 IEM in price so unfortunately, I can’t comment on either the Mellianus or the stock Nerva X, but it does look like this model brings some very welcome improvements for the same asking price. As aforementioned, take these first impressions with a grain of salt.

u2R9FHC.jpg

The Nerva is immediately more balanced than the CE-5, it lacks the treble aggression and is rather a little darker and smoother with a U to gentle L-shaped sound. But despite its lesser treble energy, it is immensely detailed and very well extended if still not particularly airy, especially compared to earphones like the Andro and Katana. What surprised me most was the Nerva’s bass, they have awesome extension and not just for a BA earphone. In fact, a few listeners at the table mistook them for a hybrid; had I not been told by Mr. Yu, I would have completely believed that the thump, slam and impact of the Nerva's bass were created by a dynamic driver too. As for the qualities of that bass, like the CE-5, it is full yet tight, physical yet defined. However, the Nerva has greater articulation than the CE-5; though it is similarly impactful, it is a quicker more detailed earphone as it should be considering the price increase. The Nerva also had a really nice stage and a natural, impressively linear midrange from memory. For my tastes, the Nerva is the earphones I would listen to every day where the CE-5 is geared more towards instant gratification. That said, both are still balanced and technical enough to excel with analytical listening and neither falter under scrutiny as a lot of earphones with these styles of tuning tend to.

A5Ni6DP.jpg

So that’s the basic rundown, apologies for rambling and noisy photos, I can’t imagine how long tomorrow’s report will be! I’ve always been curious about Oriolus and PW so having the opportunity to try Mr. Yu’s latest creations was not only a great experience but a great honour. Yu definitely isn't shooting for anything “reference” with Hyla, rather, these are immensely engaging earphones built atop solid ergonomics and technical performance. I think the CE-5 will please a great many during tomorrow's show but the Nerva will shine over more extended listening.
Thanks for sharing that Ryan, really interesting! The Nerva sound amazing, no doubt in part due to the cable. Just pains my heart to see such prices. Ouch! But curious to see how Hyla will develop in the coming time. And of course learn more about that PW cable, as it is always nice to have something new to drool over. :D

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #6,900 of 39,414
It's looking more and more like component high end stereo (speaker based), $20k and $30k iems are coming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back