flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 16, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #33,946 of 39,414
Decided to jump in the rabbit hole of high-end items after found I use my Arya way less than it suppose to be. I mainly listening to Classical, Acoustics Jazz, Ambient, etc. Basically no vocal. I really appreciate wider soundstage, out of my head feeling, and great imaging. For tuning, I prefer neutral, it can be a bit warm or clinical. Slightly prefer a warmer sounding. Currently using IER-M9 and Arya. Used to own T1. I feel I am more towards something in between Sony's warmth and Arya. Although Arya is totally acceptable. In this trade-off, soundstage and imagining is kinds king for my consideration.

Looking for a sub 2k iems. Current candidate: Mest2, VX, V14, U12T. Help me to decide!

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #33,947 of 39,414
I really appreciate wider soundstage, out of my head feeling, and great imaging. For tuning, I prefer neutral, it can be a bit warm or clinical. Slightly prefer a warmer sounding.

The IER M9 in some ways can be described as a poor man's u12t so if you're looking to level up from where you are and are willing to sacrifice a bit of personality for some technical skill then maybe start there.

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #33,948 of 39,414
Decided to jump in the rabbit hole of high-end items after found I use my Arya way less than it suppose to be. I mainly listening to Classical, Acoustics Jazz, Ambient, etc. Basically no vocal. I really appreciate wider soundstage, out of my head feeling, and great imaging. For tuning, I prefer neutral, it can be a bit warm or clinical. Slightly prefer a warmer sounding. Currently using IER-M9 and Arya. Used to own T1. I feel I am more towards something in between Sony's warmth and Arya. Although Arya is totally acceptable. In this trade-off, soundstage and imagining is kinds king for my consideration.

Looking for a sub 2k iems. Current candidate: Mest2, VX, V14, U12T. Help me to decide!
Going to demo Isabellae from Oriolus on Monday, read up on this brand, seems the tuning they pull off is amazing on each of their sets. Traillii is way over your 2K budget but the other two are either way less or not terribly higher. MEST I would not call Neutral.

U12T I find leans neutral, not colored, little higher than 2K but real close, have to replace the cable.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #33,949 of 39,414
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #33,950 of 39,414
Going to demo Isabellae from Oriolus on Monday, read up on this brand, seems the tuning they pull off is amazing on each of their sets. Traillii is way over your 2K budget but the other two are either way less or not terribly higher. MEST I would not call Neutral.

U12T I find leans neutral, not colored, little higher than 2K but real close, have to replace the cable.
well, I mainly looking at 2nd-hand market. haha. So U12T is like sub 1.5k which is sweet

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #33,951 of 39,414

I take V14 out of the 4.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #33,952 of 39,414
Additional thought: I do want something has more sparkle treble than M9. That's where I find its a bit recessed. And less mid-bass too. So overall, I think my preferred curve is more close to neutral. I also want to feel a bit warmth but not "overheat"

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #33,954 of 39,414

If you are ok with a very technical and super high resolving IEM, the VX is the way to go, and very attractively priced in comparison to the V14. Some owners of both still prefer the VX.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #33,955 of 39,414
If you are ok with a very technical and super high resolving IEM, the VX is the way to go, and very attractively priced in comparison to the V14. Some owners of both still prefer the VX.

I love the VX and it's my personal fave of the ones he listed but he said he preferred a bit of warmth and the VX, whatever else it might be, is not that. YMMV etc.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #33,956 of 39,414
I love the VX and it's my personal fave of the ones he listed but he said he preferred a bit of warmth and the VX, whatever else it might be, is not that. YMMV etc.
Well, I am ok with the a bit lean sounding. As I was die-hard Bayerdynamic users: DT990, T50P, T1 for years. Just after Arya, I find I more like warm-neutral. To be honest, I like bigger soundstage (out of my head) and good imaging most. This is the biggest factor I would say, for me.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #33,957 of 39,414
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #33,958 of 39,414
Well, I am ok with the a bit lean sounding. As I was die-hard Bayerdynamic users: DT990, T50P, T1 for years. Just after Arya, I find I more like warm-neutral. To be honest, I like bigger soundstage (out of my head) and good imaging most. This is the biggest factor I would say, for me.

VX aren't lean-- but they are bright leaning. Crisp and wintry fresh is one way I could put it...like that feeling after eating an after dinner mint. Possibly the most engagingly technical IEM I've heard. My only reservation about VX is that the upper mids border on too vibrant (not shouty) at times. u12t is much more lean on the whole than VX imho and based on what you've said and the IEMs you've listed that would still be my first choice for you to look at.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #33,959 of 39,414

For that extra detail retrieval and resolution, I'd prefer the Softears RS10 than V14. V14 is more musical with huge huge bass. It may be distracting for some, especially on congested tracks. U12t is a good candidate too. But for me, the treble could be a little smoother to sound natural. The Isabellae is good especially for vocals. Acoustic tracks with few instruments are well-rendered, and felt highly enjoyable to listen to with its rather intimate presentation. Coming from the M9, I think you might appreciate the reference neutral style tuning and detailed sound of the RS10, especially for listening to classical and instrumental genre

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #33,960 of 39,414
VX aren't lean-- but they are bright leaning. Crisp and wintry fresh is one way I could put it...like that feeling after eating an after dinner mint. Possibly the most engagingly technical IEM I've heard. My only reservation about VX is that the upper mids border on too vibrant (not shouty) at times. u12t is much more lean on the whole than VX imho and based on what you've said and the IEMs you've listed that would still be my first choice for you to look at.
From your description, I think I sorta like VX more now. Which one get a larger and deep soundstage? To spend 2k. Out of my head typed of sounding is kind of a must as I more or less use IEM as an ambient device. So the biggest factor would be out of my head sounding. For reference, M9 basically stick in my head, I don't like that while coding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back