flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #33,976 of 39,419
Really? I just take a genuine interest in understanding what my customer is trying to do and then applying my expertise to their particular problem to establish credibility and trust. At the end of the day, sales is not about features and functions. Its about selling enthusiasm and trust. That’s why the Traillii thread is the most effective sales tool in Oriolus’ arsenal. Its customers selling an experience, not a particular sound profile.
Selling in an environment where there is a liberal return policy makes it a waste of time to try to trick people anyway- it's not like they won't realize you misled them when the product shows up and does not match your description of it.......

I agree, trust is important, but hte return policy can do most of that work-product knowledge and expertise does a lot of the rest of it. Having great products helps, and solving peoples' problems is key...... Word of mouth is priceless, but I would give a huge % of the Oriolus credit to Andrew-who is also quite awesome.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #33,977 of 39,419
Really? I just take a genuine interest in understanding what my customer is trying to do and then applying my expertise to their particular problem to establish credibility and trust. At the end of the day, sales is not about features and functions. Its about selling enthusiasm and trust. That’s why the Traillii thread is the most effective sales tool in Oriolus’ arsenal. Its customers selling an experience, not a particular sound profile.
We are collectively selling the sizzle.

Too bad we do not get a commission,
commission enough for me if they listen to us, buy one, and it brightens their life a little bit.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #33,978 of 39,419
as i am nearing 4 years without any (c)iem/dap buy (cause funds are low) , i am curious ?

what's the longest you have gone without buying anything (ok , daps and iems , i will let cables off the hook)

i know that this is a hobby where ''you have money=you buy stuff' but curious about your self-restraint

so , shoot your time off putting the hand in the wallet

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #33,979 of 39,419
as i am nearing 4 years without any (c)iem/dap buy (cause funds are low) , i am curious ?

what's the longest you have gone without buying anything (ok , daps and iems , i will let cables off the hook)

i know that this is a hobby where ''you have money=you buy stuff' but curious about your self-restraint

Sadly 'Add To Cart' is my therapy in these trying times. Even if it's just some eartips or a case I don't need. That dopamine hit is a must.

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #33,980 of 39,419
4-6 weeks on average? But I've been on a rampage in the past 18 months..

(*leaves to check the classifieds...😊)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #33,981 of 39,419
I've only started my IEM addiction around November last year, pretty much one IEM per month from then up to May - I've been IEM dry since then but back in research mode now!

Also bought two DAPs, some cables and a stupid amount of tips - I feel no shame though, been a tough 18 months or so with COVID, I have a challenging job and have had some health difficulties... Nice to have a hobby like this to keep somewhat sane - plus as I say to my wife, I could have worse hobbies!

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #33,983 of 39,419

Been averaging 3 months between IEM purchases. No new DAPs since last year when ever M8 first came out.
New to this, started late 2019 with first IEM and DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #33,984 of 39,419
I am a Baratza Forte fan. I use the steel burrs as I do mostly pour over coffee ( also with the Kalita and my Bonavita with the Kalita on it).

Sorry all for the digression.
so, what you are really saying is 'back to the grind'--NOT lol

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #33,985 of 39,419
... sales is not about features and functions. Its about selling enthusiasm and trust. That’s why the Traillii thread is the most effective sales tool in Oriolus’ arsenal. Its customers selling an experience, not a particular sound profile.

Exactly this.

Although as a Head-fier, I learnt to be wary of enthusiasm as well. My example is the ZMF Verite Closed, which is lauded by everyone (So it seems at least). I got it to replace my Stellia, and found the Focal so much better. I am usually very bad in deciding with gear I have bought already, but this one was crystal clear. Lesson: Head-fi enthusiasm is great, but it might not work for everybody.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #33,986 of 39,419
Exactly this.

Although as a Head-fier, I learnt to be wary of enthusiasm as well. My example is the ZMF Verite Closed, which is lauded by everyone (So it seems at least). I got it to replace my Stellia, and found the Focal so much better. I am usually very bad in deciding with gear I have bought already, but this one was crystal clear. Lesson: Head-fi enthusiasm is great, but it might not work for everybody.

Lucky, I live where I do, I would have made lots of mistakes without demo time.

The hype and enthusiasm says no doubt I will love this, than I hear it for myself and it does not work well for me.
(Glad for you sharing this story, I have been thinking that way about the Verite Closed based on reviews and hype alone, no demo.)

Demos helped me to avoid more piles of stuff I never use, because I am not good at taking the time to sell stuff. End up giving to friends or family that might like instead, or more often just putting aside.

My camera lenses… oh my, what a fiasco from 15 or so years ago, now that’s a pile of barely used expensive products.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #33,987 of 39,419
Decided to jump in the rabbit hole of high-end items after found I use my Arya way less than it suppose to be. I mainly listening to Classical, Acoustics Jazz, Ambient, etc. Basically no vocal. I really appreciate wider soundstage, out of my head feeling, and great imaging. For tuning, I prefer neutral, it can be a bit warm or clinical. Slightly prefer a warmer sounding. Currently using IER-M9 and Arya. Used to own T1. I feel I am more towards something in between Sony's warmth and Arya. Although Arya is totally acceptable. In this trade-off, soundstage and imagining is kinds king for my consideration.

Looking for a sub 2k iems. Current candidate: Mest2, VX, V14, U12T. Help me to decide!
If you can get a good deal on them the Softears Cerberus are awesome with the right DAP pairing. Mest are very good and the Penon Volts are a really good cheaper option too.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #33,988 of 39,419

About 2 years for me - from 2018 to 2020. Was happy as a pig in sh!t, and also just "happened" to be the time I took a break from Head-Fi.

Then I missed the forums and especially this thread and curiosity started creeping in again.

And then Covid hit and I had more home time and... now I've bought and sold my way into a completely different setup (I don't count the Drop Panda headphones I bought in that 2 year gap cause they're more for commuting to work, calls etc).

Exactly this.

Same as I mentioned the other day on the another thread, completely opposing opinions about the same gear are an integral part of Head-Fi :) So reading more in-depth opinions and knowing who those opinions come from so you could understand how they perceive things, their preferences, and their is your best bet outside of auditioning at a shop, or buying blind and then taking a slight loss if you have to sell.

I auditioned the Stellia and wasn't able to tolerate it, the Verite Closed made me go gaga from day 1 and hasn't let go since 😛 (for more constructive feedback on those wondering, lower treble (I think) on the Stellia made them immediately fatiguing to me. The Verite I found to be much fuller, expansive and detailed while being as natural as I've listened to).

At this level I don't doubt they're both relative peers in quality - it can come down to nothing but taste if all else is equal.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #33,989 of 39,419
I've only started my IEM addiction around November last year, pretty much one IEM per month from then up to May - I've been IEM dry since then but back in research mode now!

Also bought two DAPs, some cables and a stupid amount of tips - I feel no shame though, been a tough 18 months or so with COVID, I have a challenging job and have had some health difficulties... Nice to have a hobby like this to keep somewhat sane - plus as I say to my wife, I could have worse hobbies!
Nicely said :) I'm glad too that this hobby help maintain a healthy enthusiasm during the resting part of my day. Music helps me recharge my body, and allows my mind to wander/wonder more freely into a creative explorative state. The IEMs equip me with an interactive layer in accessing that dream-like landscape, with their small size seamless fit (portability), and immersive listening experience. Especially during the night when everything is quieter, and you're preparing to go to sleep. It is a useful to help you wind down relax and de-stress yourself

I'm really glad that I got out of the watch collecting hobby. You get so little (in function) for so much buying luxury watches. They're more of jewelries and collectibles to me. And priority seems to be more on the aesthetic side, and serving as accessories to fashion and an expression of your personal style. Nothing wrong with that, but I thought I could better express my cheap-a** self with a Casio F91 than a porcelain dial limited edition Seiko :smiley:

image.jpg

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #33,990 of 39,419
Exactly this.

They are vastly different loads- what were you driving them with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back