flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #30,856 of 39,419
Odin lacks bass? hahah whoever said that has been hitting the crack pipe. Some may complain if they like more mid to upper bass? Otherwise it has the best bass I've heard from an IEM... and I'm a bit of a bass head.
I was thinking to take it off the list. What we are missing is someone who hates it and why, perhaps because they do not hear sub bass frequencies, if mid bass is where their low frequency hearing starts than perhaps that is the reason for that comment.
This is similar to younger people hearing shrillness at 20khz and the majority of us would just miss that.

Looking for more than Pros and Cons, although kind of similar.

Love so that any Con is irrelevant
Hate so that any Pro is irrelevant

More polorized,
got a have one dreaming about it
Vs.
no way never

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #30,857 of 39,419
I was thinking to take it off the list. What we are missing is someone who hates it and why, perhaps because they do not hear sub bass frequencies, if mid bass is where their low frequency hearing starts than perhaps that is the reason for that comment.
This is similar to younger people hearing so sibilants at 20khz and the majority of us would just miss that.

I agree the Odin has reference level sub-bass performance, the best in my collection, but the mid-bass could use about +2dB, and that’s what eq is for.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #30,858 of 39,419
This is similar to younger people hearing shrillness at 20khz and the majority of us would just miss that.

I don’t hate it but I’ve expressed my dislike towards it in the past. Specifically because as stated, the transition to me from mid bass to upper mids is so drastic. The sound came off as thin to me.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #30,859 of 39,419
Odin lacks bass? hahah whoever said that has been hitting the crack pipe. Some may complain if they like more mid to upper bass? Otherwise it has the best bass I've heard from an IEM... and I'm a bit of a bass head.
Crack Pipe, showing your age, maybe the crack is too much Daft Punk.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #30,860 of 39,419
Yeah I've yet to see anyone that out and out hates it, even @mvvRAZ had to take a second stab at it because it has some qualities he likes :sweat_smile: seems to be more of a preferential tuning niggle for most. Most of the criticism I hear is regarding the forward upper mids. I've heard people badmouth nearly every flagship IEM though to certain extents e.g. Elysium = bass light, Erlk = unremarkable, U12t = boring, U18s = overly warm, Z1R = lack of mid presence, Thummin = muddy, Anole VX = sterile, Trio = Disjointed .... I count go on haha but you get the idea. Each to their own. The only IEM I've yet to hear anything negative about is the Trailli but I'm putting this down to its relative newness, pricing making it out of most people's reach and the lack of review units.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #30,861 of 39,419
Yeah I've yet to see anyone that out and out hates it, even @mvvRAZ had to take a second stab at it because it has some qualities he likes :sweat_smile: seems to be more of a preferential tuning niggle for most. Most of the criticism I hear is regarding the forward upper mids. I've heard people badmouth nearly every flagship IEM though to certain extents e.g. Elysium = bass light, Erlk = unremarkable, U12t = boring, U18s = overly warm, Z1R = lack of mid presence, Thummin = muddy, Anole VX = sterile, Trio = Disjointed .... I count go on haha but you get the idea. Each to their own. The only IEM I've yet to hear anything negative about is the Trailli but I'm putting this down to its relative newness, pricing making it out of most people's reach and the lack of review units.

Im approaching 5 months now with the Traillii. The more I hear more IEMs I haven’t heard before, the more it impresses me :wink: Definitely looking forward to seeing what the Mason FS brings when I receive it on Wednesday.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #30,862 of 39,419

I will second the statement that the Trailli is thus far unique in my experience in that it seems to be devoid of any real nitpicks relative to its sound. We'll see if this is still true in a year, however.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #30,863 of 39,419
I will second the statement that the Trailli is thus far unique in my experience in that it seems to be devoid of any real nitpicks relative to its sound. We'll see if this is still true in a year, however.

Or when a comparable flagship price wise gives the Traillii something to compare to, a la the Mason FS.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #30,864 of 39,419
Im approaching 5 months now with the Traillii. The more I hear more IEMs I haven’t heard before, the more it impresses me :wink: Definitely looking forward to seeing what the Mason FS brings when I receive it on Wednesday.
Man.... I'm still yet to come around to the idea that a BA low end would be able to satisfy me though haha even the U12t couldn't scratch that itch which is widely regarded as one of the best BA bass's out there (I'm sure the Trailli's is much more technical mind you).

Yeah thats the real indicator. Hopefully some audio shows would have taken place by years end so we can get some more impressions.

Crack Pipe, showing your age, maybe the crack is too much Daft Punk.
Haha I'm feeling old.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #30,865 of 39,419
Man.... I'm still yet to come around to the idea that a BA low end would be able to satisfy me though haha even the U12t couldn't scratch that itch which is widely regarded as one of the best BA bass's out there (I'm sure the Trailli's is much more technical mind you).

That's mostly due to its decay-- VE8, Elysium, VX imho all have BA bass that is overall superior and more satisfying to that in the u12t (whose bass, despite the nice decay, is too thin to be satisfying imho).

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #30,866 of 39,419

Yeah thats the real indicator. Hopefully some audio shows would have taken place by years end so we can get some more impressions.

Haha I'm feeling old.

If you need that literal DD air movement then a BA isn’t going to satisfy you because it’s just physically impossible for it to replicate that. I love myself a DD for the low end but I’m more into how the bass fits with the whole signature rather than it’s own individual traits. Which was sort of the double edged sword for me with the Odin. I wanted more thump and more “DD” traits from its bottom end but if it did that it would probably come off as disjointed from the rest of the signature.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #30,867 of 39,419
That's mostly due to its decay-- VE8, Elysium, VX imho all have BA bass that is overall superior and more satisfying to that in the u12t (whose bass, despite the nice decay, is too thin to be satisfying imho).
I would agree that the VE8 has a more satisfying bass response to my ear in that I prefer where VE have chosen to accentuate it over the U12t (for a BA set), but I'd still say that it doesn't tick all of my boxes in that regard.

If you need that literal DD air movement then a BA isn’t going to satisfy you because it’s just physically impossible for it to replicate that. I love myself a DD for the low end but I’m more into how the bass fits with the whole signature rather than it’s own individual traits. Which was sort of the double edged sword for me with the Odin. I wanted more thump and more “DD” traits from its bottom end but if it did that it would probably come off as disjointed from the rest of the signature.
Yeah and I believe that is where most of the future nitpicks with the Trailli may originate... Saying that, if you are shelling out the big bucks it's likely you already know what you're getting yourself into with the BA bass so I expect the criticisms will be minimal at best.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #30,868 of 39,419
I would agree that the VE8 has a more satisfying bass response to my ear in that I prefer where VE have chosen to accentuate it over the U12t (for a BA set), but I'd still say that it doesn't tick all of the boxes in that regard.

Yeah and I believe that is where most of the future nitpicks with the Trailli may originate from... Saying that, if you are shelling out the big bucks it's likely you already know what you're getting yourself into with the BA bass so I expect the criticisms will be minimal at best.

For sure. The thing w it’s bass is that it sounds very DD like just without the physical air part. The sub bass rumble is insanely convincing of a DD driver, and it surpasses a lot of DDs I have heard. On certain tracks if I was given the IEM and not told the driver configuration and asked what I thought were producing the bass response I wouldn’t think it’s 2BAs.

Apr 29, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #30,869 of 39,419
I don't think creating a faultless IEM should be the objective at all - it's an IEMs faults and quirks that end up giving it a personality. Of everything I've heard, the two IEMs that feel most "faultless" are the Erl and the Anole VX - the former I sold in under a week, the latter I sold in under a day. It took me one walk to know I'll never want to listen to it again because of how mindnumbingly generic it sounded

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #30,870 of 39,419
I'm still having a hard time connecting the dots between King Crimson and Tool though (fantastic bands) aside the use of complex polymeters, along with some heavy, heavy guitars. I know Tool's drummer is fan of KC's Discpine album.

The combo of Chancellor+Carey is nuts, but Wetton and Bruford were considered as the "Flying Brick Wall" of Prog. No one today is even doing what what they were doing in the mid 70s, which is play their assess of, improvising tunes half the time during live gigs.

love to see educated listeners here , your comment is spot on (i assume you have seen the danny carey clip where he shows the discipline cd on camera ?)

i consider KC to have many faces (music-wise)

there is the classic prog 70s KC
there is the new wave meets punk meets extra cerebral prog 80s KC
there is the Tool-like 00s prog KC

if you like tool , i think the latter form of them should click with you (maybe?) ,the 2003 live dvd i posted is a fusion marvel of cerebral technicalities and brutal sound waves :xf_cool:

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back