flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 29, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #30,871 of 39,419
@Frankie D Have you tried the Andromeda with Xelastec tips? With a good seal, it blends with the inner ear very well methinks. Capable of transmitting bass rumble/vibration sensation in a more raw and 'felt' kind of way (compared to the stiffer thicker Light Short). I highly recommend trying without going a step down in size for better seal grip :)

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #30,872 of 39,419
YES... Prog

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #30,874 of 39,419
Been waiting for this one for a while:

Alright, I love everything in the box except for the cable: it is stiff and hard to straighten out. The other Oslo cables I have don’t have this issue, wonder why they went with such a stiff cable.
Yeah, a lot of people have been making fun of the cable on Twitter 😂

Can’t wait to hear it myself, and hope you’d share your initial thoughts of the sound soon!

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #30,875 of 39,419
Wow, lots of U12t talk. I guess I have to drop my 2 cents as the resident U12t shill. At this point, I've put hundreds of hours onto my U12t, so I think I have a pretty good feel for where I stand with it.

IMG_0151.jpg

eye-candy so you don't have to stare at my wall of text

The U12t has the best BA bass I've heard, but at the end of the day it's a compromise. By default, it's never going to quite match the best DD woofers. The U12t's midrange is ridiculously safe, but that's because it chooses to dip the upper-midrange which some might find sounds overly dampened. That's a compromise. It has terrific treble extension and air, but that's because of the tia tweeter's crazy treble peak. It's totally unnatural relative to what you'd hear in-real-life. Again - a compromise. Technicalities, I won't say it's not a very technical IEM, but the softer attack transients definitely take the edge off of perceived resolution. Furthermore, the cleaner, more natural pattern of decay the U12t exhibits, to eschew BA timbre, is a trade-off. To this end, I've found myself second-guessing its microdynamic ability lately, especially relative to the HD800S and Clear I have on-hand. The U12T has decent micro-detail for an IEM to be sure, but more intimate fluctuations themselves seem a tad smoothed over, particularly in terms of resonance.

There's a prevalent theme of middle-ground at hand, and I really do think that the U12t is the epitome of it in many respects. I've said this before, but the U12t's that kid in school who gets a 90% in every subject, but can't seem to get 100% in everything. If you want the best bass in an IEM then there's IER-Z1R, if you want the best midrange for male vocals then there's the VE8, if you want the best treble, again, there's IER-Z1R, and if you want the best technicalities go buy a KSE1500 or VX. As the type of person who always wants to own the best, that was one of the hardest things to come to terms with in this hobby. IEMs themselves, from inception, are a fat compromise in that they'll not match a headphone for many aspects of sound production.

But enough ragging on my favorite IEM. Aside from the tuning, I would say a large part of the reason I keep coming back to the U12T is for the impressive dynamic range. The way it scales and pushes into macrodynamic swings is incredible for an IEM, and most everything else I’ve heard comes off as somewhat flat by comparison. This is what largely qualifies so-called "engagement factor" to my ears (again, for me only). To come off of something like the Focal Clear, a headphone known for its terrific macrodynamic punch, and not be immediately disappointed is impressive. And then there's the U12t's center image which I don't hear talked about often. The U12t's upper-midrange recession and post-10kHz treble contrast create the psychoacoustic illusion of the sound actually projecting in front of a listener in a speaker-like manner. It's uncanny, and intended by 64 Audio or not, distinctive to me of what the right synergy between tuning and intangibles can pull-off. Heck, I've yet to hear a headphone that does center image like the U12t can. This is one IEM I don't think I'm ever going to be able to stop talking about (and yes, I've literally gotten complaints from people dreading their favorite IEM being compared to the U12t). Like so, for a lot of people it'll just be the IEM that gets the most done right and makes the least mistakes. And you know what? I'm cool with that because that's pretty darn commendable of itself too.
@Precogvision
What cable is this?
I'm struggling to find a cable to pair with my U12t...

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #30,876 of 39,419
It’s what hugely separated it from the A6t, despite their similar tonalities, and it’s also what put it among the best - technique-wise - on the day for me.
It's interesting how there's a progression from the A6t to the A12t, kinda like a preview of sorts. Not to say the A6t is bad by any means.

EE Odin… Maxed Out U12t? I don’t think I could disagree more with that. 😂

Love the concept of the spreadsheet though.
Reason why I have A12t and Odin

Been waiting for this one for a while:

480D029E-43E5-45DC-B32F-8626BFBE0D89.jpeg20785CC4-DD0E-4D43-8EB3-82A3F08F02DB.jpegBC82E4B8-29C3-434F-A9A6-CB833FEDE30D.jpeg09C4215E-CF50-486C-8FCE-BDBBF69236D7.jpeg

Alright, I love everything in the box except for the cable: it is stiff and hard to straighten out. The other Oslo cables I have don’t have this issue, wonder why they went with such a stiff cable.
But how do they sound?

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #30,877 of 39,419
Yeah, a lot of people have been making fun of the cable on Twitter 😂

Can’t wait to hear it myself, and hope you’d share your initial thoughts of the sound soon!

That is strange the Oslo cable is stiff since the Oslo that came with the Project 71 wasn’t at all to my recollection; maybe the gold oil infused design has something to do with that. There’s no brand identifier now as the first pictures that were released on final’s website revealed.

@riverground, I’m going to have to ask you for a loan, brother! 😁

A closeup of the leather case would be nice since I’m a case junkie.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #30,878 of 39,419
On another note, the Mason FS will start shipping next Tuesday, so we should start seeing impressions, especially from those that also own the Traillii … :beerchug:

Andrew told me my Anole V14 should be shipping next week as well.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #30,879 of 39,419
That is strange the Oslo cable is stiff since the Oslo that came with the Project 71 wasn’t at all to my recollection; maybe the gold oil infused design has something to do with that. There’s no brand identifier now as the first pictures that were released on final’s website revealed.

@riverground, I’m going to have to ask you for a loan, brother! 😁

A closeup of the leather case would be nice since I’m a case junkie.
The OSLO has always had that oil-infused design from the start. The OS in OSLO literally stands for Oil-Soaked. :D I think what they mean by stiff is in comparison to the traditional, braided cable. The OSLO's conductors have that single-pipe design that doesn't allow for the same bends as a multi-strand, braided cable does. I personally like it better, because it doesn't retain memory or kink as easily. But, I can see the flip side as well.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #30,880 of 39,419
The OSLO has always had that oil-infused design from the start. The OS in OSLO literally stands for Oil-Soaked. :D I think what they mean by stiff is in comparison to the traditional, braided cable. The OSLO's conductors have that single-pipe design that doesn't allow for the same bends as a multi-strand, braided cable does. I personally like it better, because it doesn't retain memory or kink as easily. But, I can see the flip side as well.

yes, my only frustration with my collection is untangling the cables when I remove them from their case.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #30,881 of 39,419
@Precogvision
What cable is this?
I'm struggling to find a cable to pair with my U12t...

Sorry man, I'm probably the last person you'd want to take advice on for cable pairings. This is just the stock cable off of the Thieaudio Legacy 4. Before that I was using the Moondrop SSR's cable. Yes, I run $10 cables with my $2000 IEM. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #30,882 of 39,419
Sorry man, I'm probably the last person you'd want to take advice on for cable pairings. This is just the stock cable off of the Thieaudio Legacy 4. Before that I was using the Moondrop SSR's cable. Yes, I run $10 cables with my $2000 IEM. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Lol, good to know I'm not the only one.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #30,883 of 39,419
20210429_094416.jpg
Boxed Sets of my favorite Crimson era, hours and hours of live gigs along with other remasters by Steven Wilson. Highly, highly recommended if you love the studio albums, which I felt were just the tip of the iceberg.
I have that Starless box set. Yes there is more to mine here. Been so busy lately with Indian classical, EDM, soundtracks, and other Prog bands I never listened to, Jazz I often think I am done but every time I think I heard everything something else comes up. Blues I think I may actually be done, well maybe, okay reggae I am probably done, classic rock been done for 20 years now, Brazilian classical not sure how I will find more but there has to be more, Egberto anyone.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #30,884 of 39,419
I am just reposting this photo from Lotoo - to echo how stiff the SK’s Oslo cable really is. :sweat_smile:

BTW, this pic is now my iPhone wall paper!

C34FD5CD-4939-4C67-B2BC-080D45517B0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #30,885 of 39,419
I have that Starless box set. Yes there is more to mine here. Been so busy lately with Indian classical, EDM, soundtracks, and other Prog bands I never listened to, Jazz I often think I am done but every time I think I heard everything something else comes up. Blues I think I may actually be done, well maybe, okay reggae I am probably done, classic rock been done for 20 years now, Brazilian classical not sure how I will find more but there has to be more, Egberto anyone.

Egberto Gismonti? Dude is solid, chops on piano for days. I've been digging anything middle eastern flavored as of late. Arooj Aftab's latest release is quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back