flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #27,451 of 39,414
Having heard both an A18s (uni) and Fourte, I very much am of the belief they are both flagships. The A18s being the all-BA flagship and Fourte being hybrid flagship. Difference presentations / characteristics and strengths / weaknesses, but not the case of one being "superior" or lower down the pecking order.

I am yet need to try the a18s as I like what 64a does with their iems but me knowing I will be crying for that dd missing. I had u12t and felt the lack of dd so I guess same would still happen with a18s or u18s.

@gLer

Flagship means its the level of tuning and performance abilities it has, this is why u12t and trio is not flagship doesnt reach the same level of resolution and texture rendering so it is not a marketing word 😛

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #27,452 of 39,414
Couldn't agree more. Also, flagship is more of a marketing term than anything else.

Agreed, though it could also simply be shorthand for their most expensive model. :D In terms of enjoyment, as always, it’ll be up to individual taste. I remember even Jerry Harvey admitting that he prefers listening to the Lola than the Layla. :wink:

Genius and my sincere admiration for this study! It makes a lot of sense what you write and is proof that often the devil is in the detail. My humble short study did not catch the point really it seems. I would also assume like you said, that Oriolus innocently used a different word than others, it easily can be a translation issue.
So in that case VE, Oriolus and all the others use the same material and the difference in the surface is coming from either the polishing and/or the coating that is used, interesting.
Good new learning! Thank you!

No worries, man. We’re all learning here. I wouldn’t have even found out about any of this if it wasn’t brought up in the first place.

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #27,453 of 39,414
I am yet need to try the a18s as I like what 64a does with their iems but me knowing I will be crying for that dd missing. I had u12t and felt the lack of dd so I guess same would still happen with a18s or u18s.

@gLer

Flagship means its the level of tuning and performance abilities it has, this is why u12t and trio is not flagship doesnt reach the same level of resolution and texture rendering so it is not a marketing word 😛
Many would argue the U12t is tuned even better than Fourte, certainly for their preferences. Same as DD bass is a preference. Also, higher price doesn't always mean better sound quality (or value). In any case, and as always in this hobby, YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #27,455 of 39,414
Many would argue the U12t is tuned even better than Fourte, certainly for their preferences. Same as DD bass is a preference. Also, higher price doesn't always mean better sound quality (or value). In any case, and as always in this hobby, YMMV.

I prefer DD bass but all I could hear when listening to the Fourte were those highs, I could not handle them. Definitely preferred the u12t.

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #27,456 of 39,414
I prefer DD bass but all I could hear when listening to the Fourte were those highs, I could not handle them. Definitely preferred the u12t.
As always, YMMV! :p

tenor (5).gif

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #27,457 of 39,414
I think it depends what you are looking for hearing in the sound. For me u12t is nothing like a fourte experience and it is a lot less resolution and textures or nuances than fourte ..

For me u12t is an instrument for musicians rather than a hifi auiophile orianted sound

Feb 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #27,458 of 39,414
Feb 9, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #27,460 of 39,414
Does Oriolus have any great IEMs that don’t require selling one’s vital organs to obtain them?

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #27,461 of 39,414
Yes, many...pinky or big toe would likely be enough; non-vital would do it for sure.

but no other models have made quite the same splash as the bird.

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #27,462 of 39,414
Yes, many...pinky or big toe would likely be enough; non-vital would do it for sure.

but no other models have made quite the same splash as the bird.

What’s their best IEM under $6k?

Edit: Here is my cat Mango two years ago today with my CFA Atlas and Fiio M9...simpler times.

B3D50569-589C-48ED-B861-8F3690073D53.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #27,463 of 39,414
Unfortunately, I’m not the one to ask. the bird is the first and only iem of theirs I’ve owned or even heard.

I’m sure someone else will chime in on this shortly.

:relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back