flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #27,467 of 39,414
Flagship means its the level of tuning and performance abilities it has, this is why u12t and trio is not flagship doesnt reach the same level of resolution and texture rendering so it is not a marketing word 😛
Sigh, time to become a tiger hunter. VITALLLLLLLY GET BACK HERE

I remember even Jerry Harvey admitting that he prefers listening to the Lola than the Layla. :wink:
Maybe that's marketing in a way? I remember it use to be the Layla until JH released the Lola.

Having both on hand, I do prefer the Lola over Layla.

Wouldn't mind a custom Layla though.

Does Oriolus have any great IEMs that don’t require selling one’s vital organs to obtain them?
Replace Oriolus with other well known iem names. Sigh

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #27,468 of 39,414

Maybe that's marketing in a way? I remember it use to be the Layla until JH released the Lola.

Having both on hand, I do prefer the Lola over Layla.

Wouldn't mind a custom Layla though.

Replace Oriolus with other well known iem names. Sigh
Oh, don't get me wrong, there's definitely an element of that in there as well. But, I still admire the fact that he said he enjoyed listening to the Lola more, where another brand could say, "Oh, the Lola isn't as good as the Layla technically, but it has its own crowd," or something to that effect. There's a frankness to it that undercuts the marketing aspect and makes it sound more sincere; at least, to my optimistic ears. :D

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #27,469 of 39,414
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #27,470 of 39,414
Trailli sets a whole new bar of insanity when it comes to cost though.
oBravo has an even more shameless pricing strategy but nobody really takes them seriously :D

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #27,471 of 39,414
The entry level hybrid Finschi, which has one DD and one BA is less expensive ($200). Nonetheless, it still has proficient technicalities and Oriolus tuning that is balanced between hard-hitting big bass and clear relatively transparent midrange. For entry level, I'd highly recommend the Finschi, and the AAW A3H+
Those are my current top two entry level favourites
The newer Sennheiser IE 100 PRO is also good too. It is overshadowed by the launch of IE 300, and is available in Japan AFAIK. Hence it's not well known. But with its sound quality, and BT cable bundle it's a hidden gem currently in my wishlist

300147_27094.jpg

347657_250354.jpg

363274_278151.jpg

The FIBAE black impressed me also with its smooth, clean and beautiful vocals. Sadly it's not so easy to drive, requiring some power. My laptop was insufficient.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #27,472 of 39,414
I think that for me the Traillii became the point where I felt portable now has a true summit-fi category and there are no limitations anymore that manufacturers feel restricted by. Hopefully it will stimulate genuine innovation and lead to new tech trickling down to the realm of mere mortals.

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #27,473 of 39,414
obravo is just ???

I’ve never heard any of their stuff to be fair, but nearly all feedback I’ve seen has been less than glowing...or less than that.

there’s also a massive difference between pushing the previous highest “generally widely accepted and justified price” (using quotes here!) which I would say is the erlky ($4.5 - $5k) up by $1k vs. literally DOUBLING it.

To my ears, traillii is revolutionary, even among ultra-totl iems.

Not to mention that feedback so far has been nearly unanimously extremely positive...

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #27,474 of 39,414
obravo is just ???

I’ve never heard any of their stuff to be fair, but nearly all feedback I’ve seen has been less than glowing...or less than that.

there’s also a massive difference between pushing the previous highest “generally widely accepted and justified price” (using quotes here!) which I would say is the erlky ($4.5 - $5k) up by $1k vs. literally DOUBLING it.

To my ears, traillii is revolutionary, even among ultra-totl iems.

Not to mention that feedback so far has been nearly unanimously extremely positive...
I hope that like DUNU, Oriolus could use its research and development experience in a trickle down-like effect to release newer models in the future that could sound as good or close but with a lower price reducing the bar of entry for people to enjoy music at the highest quality. I believe access to good sound should be wider out of respect for music and art

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #27,475 of 39,414
I hope that like DUNU, Oriolus could use its research and development experience in a trickle down-like effect to release newer models in the future that could sound as good or close but with a lower price reducing the bar of entry for people to enjoy music at the highest quality. I believe access to good sound should be wider out of respect for music and art
I really like what DUNU has been doing recently. Haven’t had the opportunity to hear for myself, but the Luna still interests me a lot and now they have the Zen as an option lower down. Still curious about that one, although I saw some comments that the signature is more energetic than “zen“. :wink: (Might have misread, my mind is all over the place recently.)

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #27,476 of 39,414

What’s even more crazy is every single person I know who’s demo’d it from musicteck has bought it. The few I know who blind bought it also love it. Speaks largely for what sort of sound it delivers.

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #27,477 of 39,414
totally.

this is the goal and natural progression of nearly all tech: from car safety features to high def tvs to iems.

perhaps the craziest thing, and the brightest hope that this will be possible, is the fact that arguably the most impressive parts of both the erlky and the traillii are quite simply their stellar tunings.

...that photopolymer shell, though...

:stuck_out_tongue:

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #27,478 of 39,414
What’s even more crazy is every single person I know who’s demo’d it from musicteck has bought it. The few I know who blind bought it also love it. Speaks largely for what sort of sound it delivers.
Guilty :frowning2:

Customized traillii should arrive in 4-6 weeks!

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #27,479 of 39,414

🤣🤣🤣🤣
No worries I have a huge load of gear to throw at you so I have time to drive off quickly away LOL

TIGER IS quick and silent stealthy cat 😁🐅🐾

Feb 9, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #27,480 of 39,414
That, or....
1612894411341.gif

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back