flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 31, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #22,621 of 39,414
May 31, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #22,622 of 39,414
They're replacing one of the abalone face-plates.

Very glad to hear you were able to get the plates sorted out. I was feeling a bit bad for SE owners there. I would love to try the Legend X when I get the chance. I only hear glowing things about them!

May 31, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #22,623 of 39,414
The Trio is more v-shaped. FR wise the Trio is basically a Legend X with the bass dialed down just a bit.

Solaris 2020 vs tia trio... @Rockwell75 has it right, though I cant speak to the LX comparison. The trio is more V shaped while the solaris feels flatter and doesnt seem to emphasize any part of the spectrum too much. The mids in the trio are ever so slightly recesses in comparison, though they dont actually feel recessed on their own. Trio has more sparkle in the treble (which could potentially be a bit aggressive for some people) and a little more emphasis in the bass. Both are excellent, both have excellent soundstages. I would definitely say, like with the comparison to the z1r, that they are basically playing at about the same level, and it again comes down to preference. While I do still prefer the z1r on sound alone, jury is still out for me on solaris 2020 vs trio.

Personally, fit on the trio is still likely better and was easier for me to to get a decent fit. Still working on it with the solaris 2020.

I'll echo these feelings on the 2020 vs. Trio. It's really tricky for me to figure out which I prefer for main use, I've really been using them both about 50-50 lately.

@Rockwell75 @mashuto @DunkFealer - Thank you very much for your replies and opinions.

I've listened to the Solaris a few times and like it. The size is a little too big for my ears though (have not tried the 2020 yet).

I've taken out the Legend X from my list. Not my preference. Plasticky shell (universal), too bass-focus tuning and too complex technologies (preferred the technologies like CA and 64A).

I've only a short listen on the Trio and like it too. It has a bit more bass and treble than Solaris, while Solaris has a bit more mid present. Solaris is more balanced I think but Trio is more detail and has that nice stage sound presentation that I like. Both are good, hard to choose.

May 31, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #22,625 of 39,414
@Rockwell75 @mashuto @DunkFealer - Thank you very much for your replies and opinions.

I've listened to the Solaris a few times and like it. The size is a little too big for my ears though (have not tried the 2020 yet).

I've taken out the Legend X from my list. Not my preference. Plasticky shell (universal), too bass-focus tuning and too complex technologies (preferred the technologies like CA and 64A).

I've only a short listen on the Trio and like it too. It has a bit more bass and treble than Solaris, while Solaris has a bit more mid present. Solaris is more balanced I think but Trio is more detail and has that nice stage sound presentation that I like. Both are good, hard to choose.
Glad to help. The only thing I will ask though is that what is too complex of technologies in the LX? It uses pretty similar tech to both the solaris and trio. It uses the same driver types (BA and dynamic), the W9 drivers in the LX are likely similar to the driver in the solaris in the sense that they both use acoustic chambers, they all use crossovers. And if anything, the trio is likely the one pushing the technologies the hardest, as they use a rear chamber for the dynamic, special tubeless BA drivers, have apex venting, and their LID tech so the IEM isnt affected (as much) by output impedence of sources.

Of course, not wanting a bass focused IEM is totally valid, just not 100% sure about the other point.

Anyways, best of luck deciding. If the size of the original was only slightly too large, the new one will likely be much better. I also wouldnt say the trio is more detailed either, but the treble does feel more... etched... I guess, so it gives a little bit of that impression. But I wouldnt say its actually more detailed, it just presents treble in a different and sharper kind of way.

Price could also be a factor as well, consider the solaris is $1500 new, while the trio is no longer on their big sale, so its back to $2300 new. Do I personally think the trio is $800 better than the solaris? No. Unless the small differences as described are important enough that you think you would really just prefer it that much more than the solaris. You say you have heard both, so you would be best to know.

May 31, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #22,626 of 39,414
Glad to help. The only thing I will ask though is that what is too complex of technologies in the LX? It uses pretty similar tech to both the solaris and trio. It uses the same driver types (BA and dynamic), the W9 drivers in the LX are likely similar to the driver in the solaris in the sense that they both use acoustic chambers, they all use crossovers. And if anything, the trio is likely the one pushing the technologies the hardest, as they use a rear chamber for the dynamic, special tubeless BA drivers, have apex venting, and their LID tech so the IEM isnt affected (as much) by output impedence of sources.

Of course, not wanting a bass focused IEM is totally valid, just not 100% sure about the other point.

Anyways, best of luck deciding. If the size of the original was only slightly too large, the new one will likely be much better. I also wouldnt say the trio is more detailed either, but the treble does feel more... etched... I guess, so it gives a little bit of that impression. But I wouldnt say its actually more detailed, it just presents treble in a different and sharper kind of way.

Price could also be a factor as well, consider the solaris is $1500 new, while the trio is no longer on their big sale, so its back to $2300 new. Do I personally think the trio is $800 better than the solaris? No. Unless the small differences as described are important enough that you think you would really just prefer it that much more than the solaris. You say you have heard both, so you would be best to know.

I find the EE crossover is too complex than necessary. Just a personal opinion.

Also, personally I don’t find the Trio treble to be too bright for me.

Thx for your reply, regards.

May 31, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #22,627 of 39,414
I find the EE crossover is too complex than necessary. Just a personal opinion.

Also, personally I don’t find the Trio treble to be too bright for me.

Thx for your reply, regards.
Fair enough. I never quite understood their marketing material on that one either... A 10 way crossover applied to 7 drivers... Yea, seems like a little much.

Though for me, the technology used is neither good or bad. The end result is what counts. So if using a 10 way crossover on 7 drivers gets them the results they want, cool. Not like I would be digging around inside the IEM making modifications. Again though, I cant speak specifically to LX since I havent heard it, but it seems pretty well loved. I also get that its supposed to be a bassy signature, so definitely not for everyone.

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #22,628 of 39,414
Solaris 2020 vs tia trio... @Rockwell75 has it right, though I cant speak to the LX comparison. The trio is more V shaped while the solaris feels flatter and doesnt seem to emphasize any part of the spectrum too much. The mids in the trio are ever so slightly recesses in comparison, though they dont actually feel recessed on their own. Trio has more sparkle in the treble (which could potentially be a bit aggressive for some people) and a little more emphasis in the bass. Both are excellent, both have excellent soundstages. I would definitely say, like with the comparison to the z1r, that they are basically playing at about the same level, and it again comes down to preference. While I do still prefer the z1r on sound alone, jury is still out for me on solaris 2020 vs trio.

Personally, fit on the trio is still likely better and was easier for me to to get a decent fit. Still working on it with the solaris 2020.
i had the tria, its mids to me were problematic a bit, and its bass was a bit loose and affecting the mids, i preferred the z1r over it all the way.

Jun 1, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #22,629 of 39,414
i had the tria, its mids to me were problematic a bit, and its bass was a bit loose and affecting the mids, i preferred the z1r over it all the way.
Fair enough points. Though not sure I hear it exactly the same way. Everything about the trio feels kind of tight to me and it's part of why, as good as it is, it hasn't risen to being my favorite. Bass on the z1r sort of feels looser to me, but I am likely using that word a bit incorrectly to speak of decay, as the bass on the z1r definitely kind of lingers to me in a very pleasing and natural way. Which signals to me that it's loose. Audio terms may not be my forte as a lot of them seem to very easily have multiple meanings.

I still don't think I would say the z1r is all around better, but the things it does right and the way it's tuned just really hit the sweet spot for me. And for my preferences the sound it puts out has yet to be beat (obviously at least not with anything I have yet heard).

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #22,630 of 39,414

it’s the other way round for me - z1r has more bass, less mid and brighter treble relative to trio. I wouldn’t call it bass affect the mid, just overall tuning of what I hear. Also, I don’t find the trio’s bass is loose or too tight, it’s ok. I respect your preference and comments as you have both.

edit: I think z1r is also more V shape than trio. I generally don’t prefer V shape but trio is borderline acceptable for my preference. Perhaps Solaris is better more me.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #22,632 of 39,414
They're replacing one of the abalone face-plates.
Very glad to hear you were able to get the plates sorted out. I was feeling a bit bad for SE owners there. I would love to try the Legend X when I get the chance. I only hear glowing things about them!
Nice, glad to hear that they are resolving that issue!

I'm a few days behind, but what did I miss? What issues? Feeling bad for SE owners? Now I'm super curious.

-Collin-

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #22,633 of 39,414
I'm a few days behind, but what did I miss? What issues? Feeling bad for SE owners? Now I'm super curious.

-Collin-
Not really a new issue. Some owners recieved a Solaris SE that had face-plates with a seam that comes from combining two different face-plates. While this doesn't affect performance at all, it doesn't look as good as a complete face-plate. Fortunately, it looks like CA is doing face-plates replacements.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #22,634 of 39,414
20200602_122857.jpg

New toy!

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #22,635 of 39,414
what's the longest time you have stayed put, without doing a significant/expensive/crazy purchase ?

i am almost 3 years since my last TOTL dap/ciem buy (wm1a/zeus xr)

money is super tight so this helps i guess but still it's good to just stay put and enjoy the music

and i still visit this site every day and enjoy reading about new stuff , even though my chances/buying power atm is 0% (unless i inherit money from an rich uncle or something)

Since May 2019 when I received my Auteur, it retired me :L3000:

I occasionally pop in here but mainly to this thread only cause it has the best folks and a great way to generally stay up-to-date.

And then I see "TOTL" cables are now $3k and IEMs $4k (and rising) and am glad I was able to find what I was looking for with the Phantom and Auteur combo.

Zero judgment on those who keep wanting to try the latest gadget btw, as there is as much enjoyment in the journey as there is in the destination. And it's very clear that for many on HF the destination itself is experiencing different gear and it will in fact never end, so cheers those on that path as well, as long as they enjoy it:beerchug:

(I bought the Drop Pandas two weeks ago but those are only for convenience, I swear, and are at the price folks will be paying for eartips soon enough, so they don't count!) :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back