flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 31, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #22,607 of 39,414
wonder if solaris 2020 is an upgrade over sony ier z1r
I would say no. But both are playing on pretty much the same level. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but nothing major enough for me to say one is a definitive upgrade over the other.

Really depends on what each person would value.

The Solaris 2020 presents as a more balanced sound across the board, but the z1r excels in bass and has a wonderful treble while giving up slightly in the mids in comparison to the solaris.

Of course I know your post wasn't directed at me, but I do currently own both. Personally still prefer the z1r slightly. Except the fit.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #22,608 of 39,414
I would say no. But both are playing on pretty much the same level. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but nothing major enough for me to say one is a definitive upgrade over the other.

Really depends on what each person would value.

The Solaris 2020 presents as a more balanced sound across the board, but the z1r excels in bass and has a wonderful treble while giving up slightly in the mids in comparison to the solaris.

Of course I know your post wasn't directed at me, but I do currently own both. Personally still prefer the z1r slightly. Except the fit.

Have you heard the Solaris SE? Not that there will be a huge difference between the 2020 and the SE but there is some slight variation I hear which may tip it in the Solaris's favour. Also have you heard the U12t and could part with some comparisons to the Z1R?

May 31, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #22,609 of 39,414
Have you heard the Solaris SE? Not that there will be a huge difference between the 2020 and the SE but there is some slight variation I hear which may tip it in the Solaris's favour. Also have you heard the U12t and could part with some comparisons to the Z1R?
I have heard the Solaris SE, but I had so little time with it and it was quite a while ago that I wouldn't be comfortable giving any in depth thoughts. What I remember though is that fit was really bad for me, bass didn't do it for me, though overall it sounded good, if just not quite to my preferences. That said I do like my 2020 quite a bit and I'm not sure there's really that much difference.

Other impressions I have read seem to indicate that the 2020 maybe gives up slightly in soundstage for a little extra oomph in bass and lower mids. But I am sure you have likely already read everything I have regarding that.

And nope, never heard the u12t, sorry. Only thing I have heard from 64 is the trio that I own.

May 31, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #22,610 of 39,414
I have heard the Solaris SE, but I had so little time with it and it was quite a while ago that I wouldn't be comfortable giving any in depth thoughts. What I remember though is that fit was really bad for me, bass didn't do it for me, though overall it sounded good, if just not quite to my preferences. That said I do like my 2020 quite a bit and I'm not sure there's really that much difference.

Other impressions I have read seem to indicate that the 2020 maybe gives up slightly in soundstage for a little extra oomph in bass and lower mids. But I am sure you have likely already read everything I have regarding that.

And nope, never heard the u12t, sorry. Only thing I have heard from 64 is the trio that I own.
Yeah I keep up to date so I’ve heard about the bass improvements.

No problem, I was mostly interested in the U12t vs Z1R impressions but I’ll keep searching and asking. Thanks anyway!

May 31, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #22,611 of 39,414
Yeah I keep up to date so I’ve heard about the bass improvements.

No problem, I was mostly interested in the U12t vs Z1R impressions but I’ll keep searching and asking. Thanks anyway!

The differences between the Solaris SE & 2020 are so marginal, it’s barely perceptible (to me at least)

The two very slight differences I can hear is that the bass on the 2020 has a little more body, and the soundstage has slightly more depth and slightly less width. But again, it’s barely noticeable.

I think the 2020 is the better IEM out of the two given the improved fit.

May 31, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #22,612 of 39,414

u12t is the more analytic of the two, with better defined mids, better detail and resolution, quicker bass. Treble is probably a bit of a wash. z1r has more weight to the sound overall, particuarly the bass, for which it sacrifices some body and expression in the lower mids. Z1R is more v-shaped than the u12t with better bass texture, definition and extension. u12t wins in coherence. Neither is a strict upgrade over the other imho and they each excel at certain things the over the other

May 31, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #22,614 of 39,414
The Solaris is compared to so many top IEMs 😀

I would like to add 1 more - how is the Solaris SE/2020 compared to 64 Audio Tia Trio? Thanks.

The Trio is more v-shaped. FR wise the Trio is basically a Legend X with the bass dialed down just a bit.

May 31, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #22,615 of 39,414
The Solaris is compared to so many top IEMs 😀

I would like to add 1 more - how is the Solaris SE/2020 compared to 64 Audio Tia Trio? Thanks.
Solaris 2020 vs tia trio... @Rockwell75 has it right, though I cant speak to the LX comparison. The trio is more V shaped while the solaris feels flatter and doesnt seem to emphasize any part of the spectrum too much. The mids in the trio are ever so slightly recesses in comparison, though they dont actually feel recessed on their own. Trio has more sparkle in the treble (which could potentially be a bit aggressive for some people) and a little more emphasis in the bass. Both are excellent, both have excellent soundstages. I would definitely say, like with the comparison to the z1r, that they are basically playing at about the same level, and it again comes down to preference. While I do still prefer the z1r on sound alone, jury is still out for me on solaris 2020 vs trio.

Personally, fit on the trio is still likely better and was easier for me to to get a decent fit. Still working on it with the solaris 2020.

May 31, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #22,616 of 39,414
Solaris 2020 vs tia trio... @Rockwell75 has it right, though I cant speak to the LX comparison. The trio is more V shaped while the solaris feels flatter and doesnt seem to emphasize any part of the spectrum too much. The mids in the trio are ever so slightly recesses in comparison, though they dont actually feel recessed on their own. Trio has more sparkle in the treble (which could potentially be a bit aggressive for some people) and a little more emphasis in the bass. Both are excellent, both have excellent soundstages. I would definitely say, like with the comparison to the z1r, that they are basically playing at about the same level, and it again comes down to preference. While I do still prefer the z1r on sound alone, jury is still out for me on solaris 2020 vs trio.

Personally, fit on the trio is still likely better and was easier for me to to get a decent fit. Still working on it with the solaris 2020.

I'll echo these feelings on the 2020 vs. Trio. It's really tricky for me to figure out which I prefer for main use, I've really been using them both about 50-50 lately.

May 31, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #22,617 of 39,414
I'll echo these feelings on the 2020 vs. Trio. It's really tricky for me to figure out which I prefer for main use, I've really been using them both about 50-50 lately.
Definitely know the feeling. And brain burn in is very very real. After I had the solaris 2020 for a while and was using it mostly (new toy and all), I switched back to the trio for a day. At first the treble was a bit hot, but very quickly just became sort of normal. When I switched back to the solaris it actually sounded kind of flat and muted. So, I had definitely adjusted to the solaris quite a bit, but then very quickly adjusted back to the trio so that when I did use the solaris again it just sounded wrong.

Edit: Should also say that I very quickly adjusted back to the solaris, and all was right in the world.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #22,618 of 39,414
Definitely know the feeling. And brain burn in is very very real. After I had the solaris 2020 for a while and was using it mostly (new toy and all), I switched back to the trio for a day. At first the treble was a bit hot, but very quickly just became sort of normal. When I switched back to the solaris it actually sounded kind of flat and muted. So, I had definitely adjusted to the solaris quite a bit, but then very quickly adjusted back to the trio so that when I did use the solaris again it just sounded wrong.

You've taken the words out of my mouth! That's exactly the feeling I get. Solaris sounds amazing when I get used to it, but when I step away from it the Trio grabs my attention immediately. Solaris (especially the bass) comes off very tame after listening to the Trio, which is not an issue, it just requires readjusting.

May 31, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #22,619 of 39,414
You've taken the words out of my mouth! That's exactly the feeling I get. Solaris sounds amazing when I get used to it, but when I step away from it the Trio grabs my attention immediately. Solaris (especially the bass) comes off very tame after listening to the Trio, which is not an issue, it just requires readjusting.

Lol yeah you should try going from the Legend X to the Solaris. I've learned to love the great qualities of both though...what I give up in bass impact in the Legend the Solaris makes up for with its immense sense of space, air and separation. My Solaris is currently out for repairs and I've been on a Legend X only diet for the last couple weeks...which has never happened before. It will be interesting to hear how the Solaris sounds to me after all this time.

May 31, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #22,620 of 39,414
Lol yeah you should try going from the Legend X to the Solaris. I've learned to love the great qualities of both though...what I give up in bass impact in the Legend the Solaris makes up for with its immense sense of space, air and separation. My Solaris is currently out for repairs and I've been on a Legend X only diet for the last couple weeks...which has never happened before. It will be interesting to hear how the Solaris sounds to me after all this time.
What happened to the Solaris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back