flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 26, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #22,576 of 39,414
unless the DD starts sounding more like a BA I doubt I’d like it much

I don't think I've ever seen those words in that order before.

May 26, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #22,577 of 39,414
Is there an app/program for Mac that I can use to organize my music library (mostly flacs) and make playlists/playlist files that I can export to my n6ii?

May 26, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #22,578 of 39,414
I don't think I've ever seen those words in that order before.
I love well implemented DD bass, but only when the midrange sounds like it’s coming from a DD as well. The texture mismatch really messes with my brain otherwise

May 26, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #22,579 of 39,414
texture mismatch

I will agree to disagree there, but fair enough...it never ceases to amaze me how many varied impressions you can find on a single piece of gear. Happy listening!

May 26, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #22,580 of 39,414
I will agree to disagree there, but fair enough...it never ceases to amaze me how many varied impressions you can find on a single piece of gear. Happy listening!
Likewise! :)

it’s a crazy hobby isn’t it haha. I’m currently pacing around the room trying to stop myself from driving to the audio store and picking up a 2020 Andromeda...

May 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #22,581 of 39,414
Likewise! :)

it’s a crazy hobby isn’t it haha. I’m currently pacing around the room trying to stop myself from driving to the audio store and picking up a 2020 Andromeda...

Universal Elysium is my greatest tempter at the moment...time will tell if I succumb or not lol

May 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #22,582 of 39,414
Universal Elysium is my greatest tempter at the moment...time will tell if I succumb or not lol

It always starts with the inception... you're doomed already :smiling_imp:

May 26, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #22,583 of 39,414

just had the thought to create a new account with the handle "time" and make a single post:

"you will succumb."

May 26, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #22,584 of 39,414
One thing about this hobby is that, no matter what other hobby you shift your focus to after, there's a good chance you'll be looking at something going "wow that's expensive...but it's still only half the cost of that last pair of earphones I was interested in".

May 26, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #22,585 of 39,414
what's the longest time you have stayed put, without doing a significant/expensive/crazy purchase ?

i am almost 3 years since my last TOTL dap/ciem buy (wm1a/zeus xr)

money is super tight so this helps i guess but still it's good to just stay put and enjoy the music

and i still visit this site every day and enjoy reading about new stuff , even though my chances/buying power atm is 0% (unless i inherit money from an rich uncle or something)

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #22,586 of 39,414
what's the longest time you have stayed put, without doing a significant/expensive/crazy purchase ?

money is super tight so this helps i guess but still it's good to just stay put and enjoy the music

and i still visit this site every day and enjoy reading about new stuff , even though my chances/buying power atm is 0% (unless i inherit money from an rich uncle or something)

I just bought a new Macbook Pro and I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max on the way. In terms of audio I seem to have basically settled down with my current rig...I haven't bought anything since January and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon (universal Ely appearing on the used market notwithstanding).

May 26, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #22,587 of 39,414

I was a bit anxious about sound of uni Ely because it's pretty much the shell design as used in their demos of ciem Ely, and some reported more neutral bass or brighter treble. With custom, you can swap the cable and that's about it. With uni, it's an adventure with tip rolling. The nozzle of uni Ely is thick, and while I only use L and XL size eartips, I had to go between M and L size eartips here to find the best seal (really bring up the bass) and different depth eartips where deeper insertion makes the treble more vivid while pushing the nozzle a little bit out of your ear, literally by 1mm, makes a difference in treble sounding a lot more natural.

May 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #22,588 of 39,414
One thing about this hobby is that, no matter what other hobby you shift your focus to after, there's a good chance you'll be looking at something going "wow that's expensive...but it's still only half the cost of that last pair of earphones I was interested in".
Funny, that’s never happened to me. In fact, this has been my least expensive hobby so far. Even when I got into aquariums I ended up designing my own with custom filtration system. :sweat_smile:
I just bought a new Macbook Pro and I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max on the way. In terms of audio I seem to have basically settled down with my current rig...I haven't bought anything since January and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon (universal Ely appearing on the used market notwithstanding).
Just bought my wife a MacBook Pro too, literally a week before the new one was released. :face_palm: I need a new one too, but I am hoping to postpone it because the incoming puppy is another expense that looks to be higher than this hobby.:grin:

May 26, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #22,590 of 39,414

Fibae 2/hiby r6 for me. Mainly because of the impedence issues with the original R6 the fibae range is a perfect match, but also because Custom Art are one of the few that still offer a decent range at good prices compared to others. I can order stuff within reason but my ears are a pita (custom or universal)so I tend not to unless I'm sure it's worth it. I'm sure there are better daps than the hiby right now but as it does everything I want (even audiobook/podcasts thanks to android!)I'm sticking with it until the battery goes. Plus as I use these at work where I don't need to hear the finest nuance of a performance (not sure there are any in rock anyway) there's not much point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back