flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #17,701 of 39,414
It's fine, my kid doesn't need to go to college.

As a "responsible" member of an online community, why is it I feel no guilt and naturally want to hit that "Like" link?

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #17,702 of 39,414
That's advanced level customer service right there! Before I even thought to request it :D
Many thanks, I shall certainly be in touch!
giphy.gif

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #17,703 of 39,414
Since there's no prayer in hell for me regaining my sanity any time soon, thought I would post my latest setup after making a few trades and deals:

64 Audio U18T, Labkable Titan Au, Cayin N6ii. The pairing is sublime. Warm, musical, plenty of detail, vast stage. Seriously guilty pleasure here. I swore I would slow down on the gear acquisition, but that doesn't seem to have happened. Scary thing is that I have an even better cable (I think) coming tomorrow. It's fine, my kid doesn't need to go to college.

I was about to finish off with wishing everyone a happy Friday, except it's Tuesday. That should indicate where my head is at.

-Collin-
It is a nice setup. I swore the same thing after getting the Cube and the Stellia, but of course I am still looking. The FIBAE 7 looks to be a pretty terrific offering.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #17,704 of 39,414
Regarding the upcoming Sony DAPs we were discussing the other day, looks like Sony is coming out with 2 devices this year. NW-A100 and NW-ZX500 which are going to be successors to the NW-A55 and the ZX300 respectively. Both devices seem to have WiFi, but there is no word confirming if the devices would support streaming. Looks like there is no flagship DAP from Sony this year.

https://tinhte.vn/threads/sony-nw-a...an-moi-duoc-he-lo-truoc-them-ifa2019.2995950/

aside from those who need the Sony to sync up with videos, afaik, all their current players now supports the USB DAC option. I have been pairing them with my iphone without issues for streaming.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #17,707 of 39,414
Aug 21, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #17,709 of 39,414
What brands would you be most interested in checking out?

In the Orchard area, you have Music Sanctuary and E1 Personal Audio. Music Sanctuary have customs and cables galore, including the new FiR Audio IEMs that are currently exclusive to them. They also have fan favourites like 64 Audio, Custom Art, Ultimate Ears, etc. There, I'd personally recommend trying out Lime Ears and qdc's IEMs, 'cus they tend to be underrated outside of Asia, along with the brands I just mentioned. E1 also have customs by 64 Audio and Vision Ears, but they're more known for their headphone inventory. They have a selection of desktop amps, DACs and full-sized headphones.

A 5-to-10-minute walk will bring you to 313@Somerset. A level below the lobby is ConnectIT. They carry a multitude of brands including InEar, Empire Ears, Jomo Audio, Campfire Audio, Sennheiser and many more. They probably have the best balance between IEMs and headphones of all shops in Singapore. They also have audio cables from Effect Audio. By the way, if you're interested in checking out Effect Audio's HQ and watching them make cables, their unit in Geylang also doubles as Euphoria Audio; a dealer for Empire Ears, Vision Ears and Jomo Audio. The only problem is that they're located in a more remote part of town, so you're gonna have to travel quite a bit before you see your next audio store.

A single stop on the MRT from Somerset to the Dhoby Gaut station will bring you to Plaza Singapura. On the 4th level is Stereo Electronics, which is more of a consumer-oriented store. But, they have a fair share of audiophile-oriented products too. They have headphones from STAX, Audeze, HIFIMAN, Sennheiser, etc. Their IEM line-up includes Unique Melody, Sony, Shure, AKG, Noble and iBasso, among others. They also have gear from iFi on display available for demo.

Then, another MRT ride will bring you to City Hall, where lies the infamous Adelphi building. The place is renowned for housing a multitude of audio stores, though they mostly cater to hi-fi. You can also find a couple record stores there if that tickles your fancy. There, you can find Jaben SG and AV ONE. Jaben carries a number of in-ear brands, including FitEar, Stealth Sonics (I believe) and WAVAYA, along with a collection of headphones too. Right next door is AV ONE, who carry JH Audio, Vision Ears and Ultimate Ears. Their headphone collection also include Sennheiser, Audeze, HIFIMAN and FOSTEX, among others.

Finally, going by MRT from City Hall, to Bugis, then to Rochor, will land you in Sim Lim Square; Singapore's no. 1 computer centre. On the second level (I think... I keep getting it wrong too, myself :D), you'll find Zeppelin and Co. It's unlike other audio stores in that it's both an audio store and a coffee shop, so you get to try out your high-end gear whilst sipping on a cup of fresh brew. They have STAX, Focal, Sennheiser and more for their headphone line-up. And, their in-ears include HIDITION, AAW, HUM, Empire Ears, Acoustune and EarSonics. I also believe it's currently the only place in Singapore where you can try out Empire Ears' new Valkyrie and Wraith, though I'd ask around to make sure.

Hope this helps! :D
EA is in Geylang?!! Hahahahahahahhaha

Seriously good post bro, I bookmarked it for my next trip to Singapore whenever it may be. This should be pinned for whoever's visiting. Know what I miss most? I can stumble around Orchard at midnight and still find good ramen.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #17,710 of 39,414
Ok this review has nothing to do with this thread but I will put it here:

Sennheiser HD 600 "The Elder Statesman"

Because
I know a lot of you
I thoroughly enjoy this thread
I own IEMs many times the cost of this Headphone
I own IEM cables numerous times the cost of this Headphone
And last but not least I am audio ill!

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #17,711 of 39,414

Because
I know a lot of you
Dated color scheme for a 22 years old product?
Outrageous, this is not acceptable. It's time to show them that we, as customers, have rights too.

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #17,712 of 39,414

Because
I know a lot of you
I know the feeling bro. I have and love the HD660S. Its tonal balance beats some of my much higher priced IEMs lol.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #17,713 of 39,414
EA is in Geylang?!! Hahahahahahahhaha

Seriously good post bro, I bookmarked it for my next trip to Singapore whenever it may be. This should be pinned for whoever's visiting. Know what I miss most? I can stumble around Orchard at midnight and still find good ramen.

Indeed. They sure enjoy the night life. :wink: Thanks man! It was as easy to write as imagining my average day in SG. :D

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #17,714 of 39,414
Looks like our schedules have lined up, @SLC1966. :p Here's a review for one of my recent favourites: Han Sound Audio's 8-wire Aegis. It combines spaciousness, separation and imaging precision with organic, mellow warmth like no other cable I've experienced before, and all at a still reasonable price compared to today's high-end offerings. Enjoy! :D

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #17,715 of 39,414
Looks like our schedules have lined up, @SLC1966. :p Here's a review for one of my recent favourites: Han Sound Audio's 8-wire Aegis. It combines spaciousness, separation and imaging precision with organic, mellow warmth like no other cable I've experienced before, and all at a still reasonable price compared to today's high-end offerings. Enjoy! :D

Once again, excellent work! Over the past year, I've seen people pair the 8-wire Aegis with VE8, PP8, and full-sized headphones like Sony MDR-Z1R, Sennheiser HD820. Oh the versatility of this cable :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back