flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 19, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #17,671 of 39,414
How are you getting on with the Cayin? Is it more portable compared to the QP2R?

I'm loving the Cayin. It's got a great synergy with Solaris and awesome battery life (assuming minimal screen on time I get ~14 hours a charge listening to flacs on high gain). As far as portability relative to the QP2R it's probably about the same. The Questyle is roughly the same size as my S9+ (to give some perspective looking at the picture above) whereas the n6ii is shorter, a little narrower, but about 2.5 times as thick. Both players are fairly portable for all but situations where you're running with them while wearing loose clothing-- but they're both about as big as I would want to go while still being able to carry them around with me throughout the day. The Questyle had a very uniquely robust and clean sound signature-- I've never quite heard anything like it. Unfortunately that player is seriously marred by its interface (both its software and that obnoxious scrolling wheel/lack of touch screen) to the point that I had I kept it I probably would have thrown it against a wall by now (to the detriment of the wall most likely).

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #17,672 of 39,414
I'm loving the Cayin. It's got a great synergy with Solaris and awesome battery life (assuming minimal screen on time I get ~14 hours a charge listening to flacs on high gain). As far as portability relative to the QP2R it's probably about the same. The Questyle is roughly the same size as my S9+ (to give some perspective looking at the picture above) whereas the n6ii is shorter, a little narrower, but about 2.5 times as thick. Both players are fairly portable for all but situations where you're running with them while wearing loose clothing-- but they're both about as big as I would want to go while still being able to carry them around with me throughout the day. The Questyle had a very uniquely robust and clean sound signature-- I've never quite heard anything like it. Unfortunately that player is seriously marred by its interface (both its software and that obnoxious scrolling wheel/lack of touch screen) to the point that I had I kept it I probably would have thrown it against a wall by now (to the detriment of the wall most likely).
The secret with the QP2R is to use the buttons on the screen for almost everything, but I am not a fan of the scroll wheel either.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #17,673 of 39,414
The secret with the QP2R is to use the buttons on the screen for almost everything, but I am not a fan of the scroll wheel either.

Yeah, even still coming as I was from the Android interface on my Galaxy and the silky smooth interface of the ZX300 picking up the QP2R felt like taking a step back to 2006 and, despite how good it sounds, it was not a frustration I was willing to bear.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #17,674 of 39,414
A little off topic, but I am going to be in Singapore next week for business and am hoping to take advantage of being in a land of excellent audio stores by visiting one or two and hopefully demoing a bunch of stuff since I don’t get too many opportunities to do so where I am in the US. Any recommendations on which shops are my best bets?

What brands would you be most interested in checking out?

In the Orchard area, you have Music Sanctuary and E1 Personal Audio. Music Sanctuary have customs and cables galore, including the new FiR Audio IEMs that are currently exclusive to them. They also have fan favourites like 64 Audio, Custom Art, Ultimate Ears, etc. There, I'd personally recommend trying out Lime Ears and qdc's IEMs, 'cus they tend to be underrated outside of Asia, along with the brands I just mentioned. E1 also have customs by 64 Audio and Vision Ears, but they're more known for their headphone inventory. They have a selection of desktop amps, DACs and full-sized headphones.

A 5-to-10-minute walk will bring you to 313@Somerset. A level below the lobby is ConnectIT. They carry a multitude of brands including InEar, Empire Ears, Jomo Audio, Campfire Audio, Sennheiser and many more. They probably have the best balance between IEMs and headphones of all shops in Singapore. They also have audio cables from Effect Audio. By the way, if you're interested in checking out Effect Audio's HQ and watching them make cables, their unit in Geylang also doubles as Euphoria Audio; a dealer for Empire Ears, Vision Ears and Jomo Audio. The only problem is that they're located in a more remote part of town, so you're gonna have to travel quite a bit before you see your next audio store.

A single stop on the MRT from Somerset to the Dhoby Gaut station will bring you to Plaza Singapura. On the 4th level is Stereo Electronics, which is more of a consumer-oriented store. But, they have a fair share of audiophile-oriented products too. They have headphones from STAX, Audeze, HIFIMAN, Sennheiser, etc. Their IEM line-up includes Unique Melody, Sony, Shure, AKG, Noble and iBasso, among others. They also have gear from iFi on display available for demo.

Then, another MRT ride will bring you to City Hall, where lies the infamous Adelphi building. The place is renowned for housing a multitude of audio stores, though they mostly cater to hi-fi. You can also find a couple record stores there if that tickles your fancy. There, you can find Jaben SG and AV ONE. Jaben carries a number of in-ear brands, including FitEar, Stealth Sonics (I believe) and WAVAYA, along with a collection of headphones too. Right next door is AV ONE, who carry JH Audio, Vision Ears and Ultimate Ears. Their headphone collection also include Sennheiser, Audeze, HIFIMAN and FOSTEX, among others.

Finally, going by MRT from City Hall, to Bugis, then to Rochor, will land you in Sim Lim Square; Singapore's no. 1 computer centre. On the second level (I think... I keep getting it wrong too, myself :D), you'll find Zeppelin and Co. It's unlike other audio stores in that it's both an audio store and a coffee shop, so you get to try out your high-end gear whilst sipping on a cup of fresh brew. They have STAX, Focal, Sennheiser and more for their headphone line-up. And, their in-ears include HIDITION, AAW, HUM, Empire Ears, Acoustune and EarSonics. I also believe it's currently the only place in Singapore where you can try out Empire Ears' new Valkyrie and Wraith, though I'd ask around to make sure.

Hope this helps! :D

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #17,675 of 39,414

In the Orchard area, you have Music Sanctuary and E1 Personal Audio. Music Sanctuary have customs and cables galore, including the new FiR Audio IEMs that are currently exclusive to them. They also have fan favourites like 64 Audio, Custom Art, Ultimate Ears, etc. There, I'd personally recommend trying out Lime Ears and qdc's IEMs, 'cus they tend to be underrated outside of Asia, along with the brands I just mentioned. E1 also have customs by 64 Audio and Vision Ears, but they're more known for their headphone inventory. They have a selection of desktop amps, DACs and full-sized headphones.

A 5-to-10-minute walk will bring you to 313@Somerset. A level below the lobby is ConnectIT. They carry a multitude of brands including InEar, Empire Ears, Jomo Audio, Campfire Audio, Sennheiser and many more. They probably have the best balance between IEMs and headphones of all shops in Singapore. They also have audio cables from Effect Audio. By the way, if you're interested in checking out Effect Audio's HQ and watching them make cables, their unit also doubles as Euphoria Audio; a dealer for Empire Ears, Vision Ears and Jomo Audio. The only problem is that they're located in a more remote part of town, so you're gonna have to travel quite a bit before you see your next audio store.

A single stop on the MRT from there to the Dhoby Gaut station will bring you to Plaza Singapura. On the 4th level is Stereo Electronics, which is more of a consumer-oriented store. But, they have a fair share of audiophile-oriented products too. They have headphones from STAX, Audeze, HIFIMAN, Sennheiser, etc. Their IEM line-up includes Unique Melody, Sony, Shure AKG, Noble and iBasso, among others. They also have gear from iFi on display available for demo.

Then, another MRT ride will bring you to City Hall, where lies the infamous Adelphi building. The place is renowned for housing a multitude of audio stores, though they mostly cater to hi-fi. You can also find a couple record stores there if that tickles your fancy. There, you can find Jaben SG and AV ONE. Jaben carries a number of in-ear brands, including FitEar, Stealth Sonics (I believe) and WAVAYA, along with a collection of headphones too. Right next door is AV ONE, who carry JH Audio, Vision Ears and Ultimate Ears. Their headphone collection also include Sennheiser, Audeze, HIFIMAN and FOSTEX, among others.

Finally, going by MRT from City Hall, to Bugis, then to Rochor, will land you in Sim Lim Square; Singapore's no. 1 computer centre. On the second level (I think... I keep getting it wrong too, myself :D), you'll find Zeppelin and Co. It's unlike other audio stores in that it's both an audio store and a coffee shop, so you get to try out your high-end gear whilst sipping on a fresh brew. They have STAX, Focal, Sennheiser and more for their headphone line-up. And, their in-ears include HIDITION, AAW, HUM, Empire Ears, Acoustune and EarSonics. I also believe it's currently the only place in Singapore where you can try out Empire Ears' new Valkyrie and Wraith, though I'd ask around to make sure.

*Reads comment and books the next plane ticket to Singapore*

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #17,676 of 39,414

A 5-to-10-minute walk will bring you to 313@Somerset. A level below the lobby is ConnectIT. They carry a multitude of brands including InEar, Empire Ears, Jomo Audio, Campfire Audio, Sennheiser and many more. They probably have the best balance between IEMs and headphones of all shops in Singapore. They also have audio cables from Effect Audio. By the way, if you're interested in checking out Effect Audio's HQ and watching them make cables, their unit in Geylang also doubles as Euphoria Audio; a dealer for Empire Ears, Vision Ears and Jomo Audio. The only problem is that they're located in a more remote part of town, so you're gonna have to travel quite a bit before you see your next audio store.

A single stop on the MRT from Somerset to the Dhoby Gaut station will bring you to Plaza Singapura. On the 4th level is Stereo Electronics, which is more of a consumer-oriented store. But, they have a fair share of audiophile-oriented products too. They have headphones from STAX, Audeze, HIFIMAN, Sennheiser, etc. Their IEM line-up includes Unique Melody, Sony, Shure, AKG, Noble and iBasso, among others. They also have gear from iFi on display available for demo.

Finally, going by MRT from City Hall, to Bugis, then to Rochor, will land you in Sim Lim Square; Singapore's no. 1 computer centre. On the second level (I think... I keep getting it wrong too, myself :D), you'll find Zeppelin and Co. It's unlike other audio stores in that it's both an audio store and a coffee shop, so you get to try out your high-end gear whilst sipping on a cup of fresh brew. They have STAX, Focal, Sennheiser and more for their headphone line-up. And, their in-ears include HIDITION, AAW, HUM, Empire Ears, Acoustune and EarSonics. I also believe it's currently the only place in Singapore where you can try out Empire Ears' new Valkyrie and Wraith, though I'd ask around to make sure.

Wow Daniel, thank you very much, this is super helpful. I don’t really have a specific brand I am aiming for, just hoping to cover as broad a base as possible. Do you know if any of these shops do cable reterminations? I have an effect audio ares 8 wire I’d really like reterminated to a balanced plug. I’m not sure how far off the beaten path I’ll be able to go given limited time, so I don’t know if I will be able to make it to Effect Audio HQ (though I would certainly like to if I had more time).

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #17,677 of 39,414
Nice impressions David (as always). I got the Hulk last week as well - work trip stopped me playing with it, but have had a chance to test it out with the Stealth Sonics C9 properly now and it's a great cable for the price.

Wasn't originally convinced by the length of the cable connector on the DK-4001, but in use it didn't actually cause me any issues, and the flexibility is just awesome. It adds a little extra richness to the sound from the C9, without dampening the amazing treble - I was intending to park it on my Zeus-XR, but suspect I may have to get hold of another one now! :wink:

I'm quite intrigued by this cable too. I was put off by the size of the plug; I imagine it would stretch across the entire length of the DX220 base on AMP8, and protrude out at the side on AMP1 Mk II single-ended. If anyone knows, do let me know please :)

Having said that, it looks like a beast (in a good way) and the way you guys are describing the sound is extremely enticing. Am considering it for my U9 lol.

Has anyone heard both the DUNU Hulk and the EA Ares II+ (specifically the 26AWG '+' model); would love to hear comparisons.
The Ares II+ really surprised me by how much impact and rumble it added to the low end when I tried it with EE Nemesis and Legend X :)

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #17,678 of 39,414
I'm quite intrigued by this cable too. I was put off by the size of the plug; I imagine it would stretch across the entire length of the DX220 base on AMP8, and protrude out at the side on AMP1 Mk II single-ended. If anyone knows, do let me know please :)

Having said that, it looks like a beast (in a good way) and the way you guys are describing the sound is extremely enticing. Am considering it for my U9 lol.

Has anyone heard both the DUNU Hulk and the EA Ares II+ (specifically the 26AWG '+' model); would love to hear comparisons.
The Ares II+ really surprised me by how much impact and rumble it added to the low end when I tried it with EE Nemesis and Legend X :)

It definitely needs a headphone port that sits on one side of the DAP, not in the centre. It takes up about 2/3 of the width of my N6ii when plugged in (port is not centred), so imagine it may come close to overhanging if the port of snack in the middle of the player.

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #17,679 of 39,414
Oh, also, does anyone know if there is a distributor for Fir Audio in the UK? Had a quick search but couldn't find anything.
Am thinking of getting one of their Vac units.
Probably the new 'Wax Vac'; an even more budget version of the Vac Jnr that @Deezel177 reviewed recently (it was thanks to his review that I went to their site and found the new vac by chance).

Aug 20, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #17,680 of 39,414
Oh, also, does anyone know if there is a distributor for Fir Audio in the UK? Had a quick search but couldn't find anything.
Am thinking of getting one of their Vac units.
Probably the new 'Wax Vac'; an even more budget version of the Vac Jnr that @Deezel177 reviewed recently (it was thanks to his review that I went to their site and found the new vac by chance).
Try Gisele, I saw on her facebook that she got a delivery in a few weeks ago. I think she has all models in stock. :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #17,681 of 39,414
Wow Daniel, thank you very much, this is super helpful. I don’t really have a specific brand I am aiming for, just hoping to cover as broad a base as possible. Do you know if any of these shops do cable reterminations? I have an effect audio ares 8 wire I’d really like reterminated to a balanced plug. I’m not sure how far off the beaten path I’ll be able to go given limited time, so I don’t know if I will be able to make it to Effect Audio HQ (though I would certainly like to if I had more time).

No problem! Music Sanctuary do. If Calvin (their lead staff member) is in the office, he should be able to reterminate your cable on the spot. But, I’d PM him (@Kozato) to make sure. You can reterminate it directly at Effect Audio HQ, and they can do it in 5-10 minutes max. The advantage is that you’d be able to get an Effect-branded plug, rather than a 3rd party one. Fortunately, Singapore is a small country/city, so it’s not too far off the beaten path necessarily. But, of course, of time is limited, MS should get you squared up just fine. :D

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #17,682 of 39,414
Try Gisele, I saw on her facebook that she got a delivery in a few weeks ago. I think she has all models in stock. :)

Ah, perfect! I am planning to get some impressions done with her anyway, probably later this month, so I can email her about the Wax Vac at the same time.
I've been compellingly recommended to give Custom Art's custom ear tips a try for my Stealth Sonics U9 :)

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #17,683 of 39,414
Ah, perfect! I am planning to get some impressions done with her anyway, probably later this month, so I can email her about the Wax Vac at the same time.
I've been compellingly recommended to give Custom Art's custom ear tips a try for my Stealth Sonics U9 :)

The best part about sending impressions to Custom Art is you can always ask for the STL files (or digital imprints), so you can use them with quite a lot of other manufacturers now. Giselle is also perhaps the best impression-taker in the world, so those files will be worth quite a lot. :wink:

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #17,684 of 39,414
The best part about sending impressions to Custom Art is you can always ask for the STL files (or digital imprints), so you can use them with quite a lot of other manufacturers now. Giselle is also perhaps the best impression-taker in the world, so those files will be worth quite a lot. :wink:

Thanks for the tips (pun acknowledged); will do so! :)

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #17,685 of 39,414

Funny thing is that I still haven't used mine that CA sent me :) Any word on EE implementing 3-d printing yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back