flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 27, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,591 of 39,414
It does need to be put into perspective. These are all TOTL. It really comes down to a sound signature that you prefer because none of them suck. If you are like me and only do Universals you do have other factors.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #1,592 of 39,414
Great post you wrote there imo. Especially this part shows that you have the ability to take a deep breath and look at things (including your own thoughts/emotions) from a 'helicopter point of view'.
Many people take themselfs and the things (they think) they know way too serious, like their opinion is some kinda universal truth. Hats off to the ones that have the courage to (try to) look at things from another angle as well and have the ability of self insight/relativity.
So, in this case hats off to you sir! :tophat:

Oh and yes, someones own ears are definitely the best judge in case of any iem/headphone. But we're all on our own (and sometimes very limited) budgets over here and thanks to reviewers like @flinkenick, @twister6, @jelt2359, etc. we are lucky to get so much, well written, information (from their pov) in the first place.

Very kind of you to say so.
If I had a hat, I would raise it to you too :p

May 27, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #1,593 of 39,414
Finally, an honest Noble ranking, not biases. Listened to it at Canjam and wasn't impressed by its treble and resolution at all. For resolution, Hum Pristine beats it; Unfornatutely, I wish Pristine was being reviewed here.

May 28, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #1,594 of 39,414
Finally, an honest Noble ranking, not biases. Listened to it at Canjam and wasn't impressed by its treble and resolution at all. For resolution, Hum Pristine beats it; Unfornatutely, I wish Pristine was being reviewed here.
I am sure that if you donate the Pristine to Nic, he will be more than happy to write a review. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 28, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,595 of 39,414
I've listened to all of these iems and they all suck, they should all be last ex æquo.
you are kiddin right? you mean the ones that have already been ranked or including the ones who are yet to be ranked

May 28, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #1,596 of 39,414
I've been to studios w/ $30K+ monitors and the recordings had quite a boost in the low frequencies and very nice impact on their recordings. I think that the amount of low end boost is genre specific and I feel that younger recording engineers nowadays and top 40 music add a little more low impact than in the past. But good recording monitors have to have a flat response, because you need to have a faithful recording in order to have a nice clean final mix. How that translates into consumer equipment, and having equipment that doesn't produce the nice impact is the problem. If an IEM is announced, as reference quality, it shouldn't favor any frequency over another, but should be able to translate things for the listener, as closely possible to what the recording engineers intended it. The problem with a lot of IEMs is that it's hard to reproduce good impact in such a little speaker and small amount of space.

a flat reference week bass iem then can not translate at all correctly the impact of how music is played in a studio or concert, which makes it not even a reference anymore. Again to the same point when you go with a band to a studio and listen to them playing music, one of the most noticeable things you will hear is bass, and with those reference neutral iems the bass does not sound at all like how it was in the studio. I do not even recall I ever listened to any band in a studio or in concert where the bass was not there, but I heard iems being mentioned here where you literally can not hear the bass and they are being refereed to as neutral flat

Anyway it seems we all interpret things differently and that is the beauty of head-fi

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #1,597 of 39,414
I concur with a lot of what you said about the 12's and I hope I don't stir some regrets up but the sound change with the apex m15 is massive, throw in a cable as well and it's a very different IEM. Now that I've heard it with apex I'm glad I didn't sell it.
hmmm i had them when they first came out with the adel module, that is interesting to know that it sounds different than what i remember it to be

but did you ever hear the ref1, that is what i call a true huge wide open sound stage iem, with the u12 if I want to give number on sound stage the U12 would a 4/10 while ref1 would a 10/10

yes the ref1 has to beaten in sound stage and I had my share of totl iem and non come remotely close

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #1,600 of 39,414
I prefer encore

May 28, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #1,601 of 39,414
you are kiddin right? you mean the ones that have already been ranked or including the ones who are yet to be ranked
He means all the iems he had and has.

May 28, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,602 of 39,414
I have been reading these forums for years and just love that people still don't get when Mim is being funny :)
+1...but in this case I think he's serious :scream:

May 28, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #1,603 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back