flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 29, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #1,621 of 39,414
My initial post was not against Noble per se, but to point out that certain brands, partly thanks to superior marketing investment, seem to enjoy incredible reputation, sometimes irrespective of actually being significantly better than other brands.
I have only been around these forums for a few months and as I learn more I have actually started to get a little annoyed with the frequent hypes. They often mean a lot of extra fluff to sift through while trying to get a good idea of what certain IEMs actually sound like. I came here because I use music for more than just entertainment and want to know about signatures and sound quality. What I really like about this shootout is that it offers far more insights into those compared to regular reviews. Because Nic is going through a large number of TOTL IEMs in quite a technical way, he provides a reference frame for his readers that can help us to make our own ranking. We can even pick up on Nic's own preferences and adjust our interpretation of his opinions to filter those out if we need to. I think this is perhaps the result of the independence created at The Headphone List and I for one greatly value that. Just cut through the marketing and talk sound quality and signature.

May 29, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,622 of 39,414
@Wyville True. I think I understand what you mean. I'm glad, and appreciate that more reviews - like Nic's for example - are subjectively specific when describing. It makes for an easier discernment of how a device may sound.

May 29, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,624 of 39,414
May 29, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,626 of 39,414
Gree iems always sounds the best. I highly recommend them.

May 29, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #1,627 of 39,414
lol. You can accuse me of far worse. Since John gave them to me free of charge, I could also be a whore.

:D

Well Pinky, if you really consider starting a new career...my advise would be to first lose all that facial hair :wink:
DB.jpg

Go to the off topic area, read my new thread, I hope it will finally put a stop to the way I have been treated here lately.

Here, let me help you by posting this link (which you probably forgot): https://head-fi.org/f/threads/my-noble-story.851507/
See? People over here generally ain't that bad :wave:

May 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #1,628 of 39,414
Well Pinky, if you really consider starting a new career...my advise would be to first lose all that facial hair :wink:

Here, let me help you by posting this link (which you probably forgot): https://head-fi.org/f/threads/my-noble-story.851507/
See? People over here generally ain't that bad :wave:

I didn't forget, just didn't think about posting a link. If people want to read it, they will look down there. I know its not a popular section, so maybe it will just fade away. But thx for the link.

May 29, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,629 of 39,414
Go to the off topic area, read my new thread, I hope it will finally put a stop to the way I have been treated here lately.
Just out of curiosity when you refer to how you have "been treated here lately", are you referring to this thread specifically, or Head-Fi in general?

May 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #1,632 of 39,414
Any thread.
I see. Well I don't know you really well, but it seems like you have a great sense of humor and I think everyone will agree you're more than welcome here.

The only thing that was posted here that might have a negative connotation was being called a fanboy, and that was corrected quickly by social norm. And as much as I agree and have mentioned we should always keep it respectful here, I personally didn't read that as having a negative intention. It seemed Obsidyen just wanted to point out what you meant, since Wata vs Mim is basically the battle of sarcasm. And please correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't mean to say this to egg you on, but I'm struggling to understand how being titled as a fanboy can be offensive if you requested to put 'Official Noble BFF' in your title? Isn't that, quite literally, the same..?

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,633 of 39,414
I see. Well I don't know you really know you well, but it seems like you have a great sense of humor and I think everyone will agree you're more than welcome here.

The only negative thing that was posted here that might have a negative connotation was being called a fanboy, and that was corrected quickly by social norm. And as much as I agree and have mentioned we should always keep it respectful here, I personally didn't read that as having a negative intention. It seemed Obsidyen just wanted to point out what you meant, since Wata vs Mim is basically the battle of sarcasm. And please correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't mean to say this to egg you on, but I'm struggling to understand how being titled as a fanboy can be offensive if you requested to put 'Official Noble BFF' in your signature? Isn't that, quite literally, the same..?

I had nothing to do with the custom title, I asked for one an Warren just made that. The fanboy thing, its just getting old, people think Noble is the only company that I feel makes a good product. I just have the most time listening to their stuff, I liked the Andromeda when I gave it a brief listen, but I guess since I am not in that thread it makes me bias. My name has even been dragged and ridiculed on other sites, all from my love for Noble. I don't go after anyone else about what they like, but when certain people attack Noble just for reasons they have, its as bad as doing it to any company here.

May 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,634 of 39,414
I had nothing to do with the custom title, I asked for one an Warren just made that. The fanboy thing, its just getting old, people think Noble is the only company that I feel makes a good product. I just have the most time listening to their stuff, I liked the Andromeda when I gave it a brief listen, but I guess since I am not in that thread it makes me bias. My name has even been dragged and ridiculed on other sites, all from my love for Noble. I don't go after anyone else about what they like, but when certain people attack Noble just for reasons they have, its as bad as doing it to any company here.

It's just the optics of how the Noble thread is run, it really comes across as cultish and close-minded. Compare Jack's reaction when someone criticized an Empire Ears product to John's. Jack says, "sorry, it wasn't the right fit for you, PM me and we can work something out." When someone posts Nic's Katana review on the Noble thread, John immediately throws a link to a glowing Kaiser encore review that was already cited on the previous page, and everyone attacks the person for posting Nic's review because it wasn't ball-suckingly flattering. Unfortunately, most of the criticism falls on you because you've assumed the de facto non-corporate leadership of that thread. I have nothing against you and am sure its not your intent, I'm just explaining how it comes across as an outsider. Please don't take this harshly I don't mean to kick you while your down, I just want to bring some awareness.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,635 of 39,414
I think it's just easy to pick on the king. Noble's K10 enjoys more positive reviews than any other IEM, which is bound to draw the ire of those who's personal tastes don't align. That's not justification for them to act so hostile towards Noble or those who do love that sound sig. It's merely inevitable. We see it in every medium.

I've not heard the K10, but hot damn do I like the Encore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back