First Impressions of the new Beyerdynamic T70p
Jun 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #121 of 269
Quote:
I'm very seriously thinking of picking up a pair. I have an almost DT1350 that I love except for discomfort when wearing glasses. I will sell those and maybe an amp and pick up the T70 as long as I can get enough sound pressure from an iPod nano 7G with them as I don't like carrying amps on crowded trains and these will be my portable headphones in early autumn to late spring. I've also enjoyed the T5P, but not sure about the price. There is a sale going on here right now where I can get used T70 and T5P for comparatively small amounts of dosh. I will of course review these.

But, if anyone knows me, they know I'm a fan of the DT880 600Ω and ES10, CK10 and their ilk, so bass quantity isn't a priority for me.

Hi Shigzeo. The DT-1350 and T70 are very different. I like the T70 bass better than the DT-1350. I think there is a little bit too much bass in the DT-1350. So if you want bass and impact from the bass you might find the T70 lacking - but as you write it is not a priority for you. Other than that I agree - for wearing the DT-1350 for a few hours is not as comfortable as full size. If you want portable use I would say consider the T70p! They sound much like the T70 but have more sparkle and sounds great without amp and scales to become even better with an amp at home.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #122 of 269
I currently own the DT770 Pro (80-Ohm & 250-Ohm) and DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.
I'm starting to get tempted by the Beyer T70(p).
Currently using an Essence STX and Yamaha RX-V671 to drive my headphones.
Need someone to give me some good solid reasons for upgrading to the T70(p).

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #123 of 269
Quote:
I currently own the DT770 Pro (80-Ohm & 250-Ohm) and DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.
I'm starting to get tempted by the Beyer T70(p).
Currently using an Essence STX and Yamaha RX-V671 to drive my headphones.
Need someone to give me some good solid reasons for upgrading to the T70(p).

Ordered a used Beyer T70 (250-ohm) from Amazon, have an Essence STX, O2, and Yamaha RX-671 receiver to drive them.
Anyone out their use their T70 with a Little Dot MKIII, wonder how much if any the LD MKIII might improve the sound of the T70 over my current amps?

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #124 of 269
After trying many different pads to increase the middle range I found the pads of the AKG K240 ideal, the bass it is also improved in quantity and quality. I tried almost all the pads of its siblings but none of them satisfied me, I always ended up with recessed mids.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #125 of 269
Quote:
After trying many different pads to increase the middle range I found the pads of the AKG K240 ideal, the bass it is also improved in quantity and quality. I tried almost all the pads of its siblings but none of them satisfied me, I always ended up with recessed mids.

Did you find recessed mids in the T70?

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #126 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by drubrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find these phones perform much better with high power. For example, the T5p is a little flat and sterile straight out of an iTouch but as soon as you go to an iQube or SR71b they came alive and the same is true when used with a full sized amp like my Luna (see my T5p review). A lot of people find the T5p to be delinquent in the low bass region. I have only thought this if the wrong amp was driving them. Teamed up with the right amp and/or equipment, it is a fantastic phone. Is the T70p as good as the T5p? It is not as refined in sound but I have to say I find the T70p a little more whimsical or exciting in sound. It definitely delivers the bass more effortless than the T5p and it is not a bloated bass like say the Beats series. It is a very controlled low frequency thump. 

As I moved from fun music to more reference based pieces, this is where the T5p excelled. I listened to a variation of Acappella, Jazz, Blues and Rock. The attention to detail, spatial presentation, instrument separation, etc. was better with the T5p, but then it should be based on the price point. However, once again the T70p had the ability to really draw me in more than the big brother. I cannot quite put my finger on why, but I found myself listening to them more than the other Beyers. Maybe because it was a fresh sound to me but who knows. Lately, I have enjoyed listening to Funk by artists like Raphael Saadiq and Meceo Parker and music of this nature was a great match as both of these artists have great underlying foot tapping bass. Go pick up Life On Planet Groove by Parker and you will see what I mean...pure enjoyment.

I have been trying to figure out which of the T70p or T5p I like best for some time now and I just again read what drubrew wrote a long time ago. I think it says pretty much exactly what I have found too. I think what have been playing me a trick for a while is that I thought the T5p lacked a bit in the midrange but it is simply because of the angled drivers. They draw you away form the music and the T70p is more in-your-face soundstage. Voices are floating right there in the middle of it all with the T70p but with the T5p voices are farther away together with the rest of the soundstage. The T5p is not as involving for some music because of this distance to vocals and to the music. 

I find that I often notice this difference when A/B-testing between the two. It is never a problem when only listening to the T5p for a while. It has much more body to some instruments than the T70p. Bass, cello and male vocals have more flesh with the T5p.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #127 of 269
I'm thinking of a possible upgrade from my Shure 940s, which I love because of the detail sound they have. The t70p seems to be a good upgrade, but I have not found anything comparing both (of course not in the same league). I know it's kinda silly to compare them and I think the t70p would be better, however I really couldn't tell for how much.

Usually I listen to female vocalists, jazz and sometimes good old 70s and 80s. I'm using an Ibasso D12 DAC/AMP too.

So the big question is, how much better does the sound of the t70 compare to the sound of the shure 940s?

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #128 of 269
The T70 is very picky about the source material. If you feed it good quality it will sound very open and detailed. But it can sound boring too if you are not careful they are not forgiving or laid back in any way. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #129 of 269
Thanks for the info. I only use FLAC files, so about the source I'm not worried about (files at least) and the 940s are extremely picky too (clinical style) so I'm used to that and I truly like it, but I was wondering if they're on the same "pickyness" level, besides the rest of the sound spectrum, how better the sound is compared to the 940s? If anybody has tried both, I'd highly appreciate it. If I could test it in my country I wouldn't be asking, but unfortunately it's impossible to find any beyers here. 
triportsad.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #130 of 269
I havn't heard the 940's so unfortunately I cannot comment on the differences. But I know that I love the T70 and T70p. Also if you buy them I think you can easily sell them again here without loosing too much money. It sound like you are used to analytic and bright sounding headphones so for you I guess they would be great 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #131 of 269
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I only use FLAC files, so about the source I'm not worried about (files at least) and the 940s are extremely picky too (clinical style) so I'm used to that and I truly like it, but I was wondering if they're on the same "pickyness" level, besides the rest of the sound spectrum, how better the sound is compared to the 940s? If anybody has tried both, I'd highly appreciate it. If I could test it in my country I wouldn't be asking, but unfortunately it's impossible to find any beyers here. 
triportsad.gif

940 sounds smoother, thicker and narrower, T70 is clearer

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #134 of 269
T70 is smoother and a bit more controlled. T70p is a bit more dynamic and a little more bas quantity. But the signature is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back