Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #826 of 11,643
Well guys, my impatient wait is nearing the end. The PF IX have been here for two days waiting for me to get back from Holiday travels. 

First listen tonight. Going to take it slow. Any recommendations for first listen? Just a couple hours out - I had them shipped to a friend in the event they arrived while I was out of town.

Off to procure them!

Edit for typo

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #827 of 11,643
Really looking forward to your thoughts. Seeing as your in Austin how about some Nanci Griffith!

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #828 of 11,643
Quote:
Really looking forward to your thoughts. Seeing as your in Austin how about some Nanci Griffith!

Nanci Griffith cued up!

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #829 of 11,643
Great listen for the Piano Fortes. Heart covers Stairway To Heaven at the Kennedy Center and moves Robert Plant to tears. (Can you stay completely dry eyed while watching this?)

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #831 of 11,643
Thank you ALL for the recommendations. All I can say is that these earphones will change how I listen to music from here on out.

More to come.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #837 of 11,643
Some folks have been asking for a direct comparison between the Heaven VI and FI-BA-SS. These days I'm not so keen on doing extensive A/B tests, but I thought I's offer some very quick, general observations.

The most immediate difference for me is that the Heaven VI sounds thicker, while the FI-BA-SS has a thinner presentation by comparison. This translates into a more clear and open sound on the FI-BA-SS, whereas the Heaven VI is a bit more closed-in, though not so much as to be claustrophobic. These are mainly relative comparisons. Similarly the Heaven VI is very detailed, but the Fi-BA-SS has an unparalleled level of resolution: every note and little nuance is clear and well articulated on the FI-BA-SS, with more air between them giving the overall presentation more breathing room. Still the FI-BA-SS isn't as airy as, say, the K3003. The Heaven VI is no slouch either, and it handles textural details pretty much on par with the FI-BA-SS to my ears; it's mostly in the very subtlest of information and microdynamics where the Heaven VI falls short of its elder sibling.

The FI-BA-SS can be absolutely brutal when it comes to revealing problems in recordings, and though I'd characterize it as "harsh" for this reason, I'd say that it's not harsh in its balance compared to some hyper-resolving signatures that use overly bright treble to help accentuate detail. The Heaven VI is more forgiving of poorly recorded material, and it lacks that certain rawness of the FI-BA-SS. It glosses over some of the idiosyncrasies the latter catches. The overall tone of both is what I'd characterize as energetic. Both earphones have spot-on imaging and present notes as solid and well extended in space. One can lock on to instruments and discern sonic directionality with ease. The thicker sound of the Heaven VI to my ears results in part from the greater lower-end emphasis. Both earphones handle bass very well, but the midbass of the Heaven VI hits harder to my ears. Treble on the Heaven VI seems to have a very minor amount of glare on certain setups: I notice it on the UHA-6S, but when it's straight from the Walkman or MacBook Pro jack it's not an issue.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #839 of 11,643
Hi everyone! I'm a noobie but not to FAD. :) Has anyone tried any of the FADs with the iBasso DX100?

I can happily reported that FI-BA-SS and PF IX sound wonderful with the AK100!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back