Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 29, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #122 of 11,644
It will look more artistic if you use instagram or do a black and white version.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #123 of 11,644
^ I don't think the goal is to be artistic so much as convey the sound of these unique earphones in a more comprehensible, albeit artistic, way. The Piano Forte series isn't black and white sounding. It definitely has more of a sepia quality.

On a related note I'm listening to the FI-DC1601SB this morning, and I'm quite pleased by what I'm hearing. Coming from the 1602 series, their predecessor has similar qualities to those which made me fall in love with them. I can definitely hear the progression of concept from the 1601 to the 1602 however; the earlier models are more subtle though still quite unique, and if we are to say that the 1601 series is more "normal," it's only in the context of the truly uncanny 1602 series.

I'm finding the 1601SB to be more of a chameleon in comparison to the 1602SS and 1602SC. Trying the various tips included in the package, I find the sound changes more dramatically compared to what I was able to achieve through my experimentation with the fix-tipped 1602 models, even when using tips over their metal flanges.

At the moment I prefer the smallest-sized round (non-star) tips.

I think I'll probably give the 1601SS a miss and try the 1601SC sometime in the future, assuming I can actually find one in decent condition.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #124 of 11,644
Quote:
I don't think the goal is to be artistic so much as convey the sound of these unique earphones in a more comprehensible, albeit artistic, way. The Piano Forte series isn't black and white sounding. It definitely has more of a sepia quality.

Couldn't agree more.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #125 of 11,644
After 100+ hours of burn-in:

Adagio V doesn't have energy in upper midrange. As if the vocals are restrained by veil. Highs are recessed too, rendering it one of the darker sounding IEMs I have ever heard.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #127 of 11,644
Quote:
It is dark but there are a lot darker sounding.

Yeah, there are other darker sounding IEMs too. But from FI-BA-SB POV, this one is a far cry.

A lot more people will prefer darker sounding earphones but my personal preference demands a touch more sparkle and bright signature. For me, e-Q5 fits the bill and at the same price point A161P and RE-0 do a much better job.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #128 of 11,644
Hello and welcome back firoze! :smile_phones:

So I've been going back and forth between the 1601s and 1602s for some time and find myself constantly struggling for words to describe their differences adequately and at the same time do these very special phones justice. Yes, I could be talking about how FAD not only brazenly ignored to address the 1601s' weaknesses and went ahead to make the 1602s sound even more off-beat. I could rant about how the 1601s at least had a massive soundstage to accompany their shamelessly mid-centric presentation and how the 1602s even deprive you of this and at times make you feel like Nipper, poking your snout into one of those old horn-speaker's openings. I could go on about strange echoes and resonances from their metal housings and how I could EQ the 1601s to a pretty decent "normal" sound signature, but would fail miserably at doing the same with the 1602s, 'cause they just seem to throw an all-enveloping veil of nostalgia over everything I listen to. I could... but that would mean to completely miss the point.

The truth is, much like MuppetFace and music_4321 have said, that you have to accept these Final Audios for what they are, not fight them. If you don't feel comfortable with spending that much money for something so idiosyncratic, then please do yourself a favor and stay away from their 160x models.

So, since I'm obviously at a loss for words, why not let pictures do the talking?

Here's how a real street scene might look like - and any accurate, true-to-the-source type of phone would render it just like that:

Here's how the 1601 would render the same scene, the very highs and lows shifted towards a colorful, glowing midrange:

And finally, the 1602s: that strange midrange glow's still there and probably even more intense, but everything's tinted in sepia, like an old movie or photograph:

Disclaimer: of course, none of this is to be taken literally and in reality the 1601s and 1602s sound much closer to each other than the pictures would suggest.
In fact, this is not so much an attempt to visualize sound signatures as an illustration of how I'd envision these pictures while listening to said phones.

Am I still making sense to you? I fear not. But then again, take a closer look at the pics... :wink:

Hello James,

Thanks for the unique and creative method of describing the sound of the 1601/1602. I actually do get what you're trying to describe...

I did briefly listen to the 1602 once, but the envoirment was too noisy to make any real judgement, though I did get more or less the same impression of its sound that you describe.

You have to accept these earphones on their own sonic terms; but when you do, you will be well rewarded!

Anyway, thanks again! :)

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #129 of 11,644
^ I don't think the goal is to be artistic so much as convey the sound of these unique earphones in a more comprehensible, albeit artistic, way. The Piano Forte series isn't black and white sounding. It definitely has more of a sepia quality.

On a related note I'm listening to the FI-DC1601SB this morning, and I'm quite pleased by what I'm hearing. Coming from the 1602 series, their predecessor has similar qualities to those which made me fall in love with them. I can definitely hear the progression of concept from the 1601 to the 1602 however; the earlier models are more subtle though still quite unique, and if we are to say that the 1601 series is more "normal," it's only in the context of the truly uncanny 1602 series.

I'm finding the 1601SB to be more of a chameleon in comparison to the 1602SS and 1602SC. Trying the various tips included in the package, I find the sound changes more dramatically compared to what I was able to achieve through my experimentation with the fix-tipped 1602 models, even when using tips over their metal flanges.

At the moment I prefer the smallest-sized round (non-star) tips.

I think I'll probably give the 1601SS a miss and try the 1601SC sometime in the future, assuming I can actually find one in decent condition.

Hello MuppetFace,

It's good to make your acquaintance and to see that you are such a great FAD enthusiast! :)

There two points I'd like to make regarding your post...

I've had the 1601SB for two years now, so I've had considerable experience with them. Let me tell you, finding the optimum tips for them drove me nuts! :) In the end I decided that I would probably never find the ideal tip and just gave up trying. Instead I use the supplied tips in turn, enjoying the best of the sound that each type offers. Doing so has allowed me to enjoy the earphone that much more... I keep rotating between the metal and the silicone tips.

As for the 1602SC, it is indeed a special earphone, even compared to the SB and SS. I found the SC to be extremely refined indeed and very transparent compared to the SB/SS. Those colorations/resonances that are present in the SB/SS are more or less absent in the SC. The bass though is leaner than the SB/SS, but just as deep. If you like the SB then I think you'll be delighted with the SC. I do hope you can find a pair in good condition... Good luck! :)

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #130 of 11,644
Listening to Patricia Barber's Norwegian Wood and now Dave Brubek's Strange Meadow Lark, piano is a magical thing on the 1602SS.

I intro'd these with the Eurythmics' It's All Right (Baby's Coming Back). That was special. So much for my concerns about jumping into an icy lake. These are simply amazing headphones.

Not being shy about such things, I have already concluded that 3dB of bass in the sub-bass region only (Bass Cutoff 1 in Rockbox) works wonders with jazz. It doesn't impinge upon or alter the delicate balance with the mids and trebles at all.

These fit my ears better than my ES5. I kid myself not. They just slot right in and pretty much disappear. I can nod and shake my head vigorously and all that moves is the cable. I am running the cables over my ears for comfort and as insurance so that I can move around with these and not give a d.a.m.n.

Fortunately the natural position in my ears produces a nice wide sound stage with what I can best describe as delicate air around the instruments. I say,"fortunately" because, if I try other positions in my ears, they move right back to the original slots. So that is the sound signature of the 1602SS for me. Easy.

An hour plus in and just 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #131 of 11,644
Quote:
Listening to Patricia Barber's Norwegian Wood and now Dave Brubek's Strange Meadow Lark, piano is a magical thing on the 1602SS.

...So much for my concerns about jumping into an icy lake. These are simply amazing headphones.

These fit my ears better than my ES5. I kid myself not. They just slot right in and pretty much disappear. I can nod and shake my head vigorously and all that moves is the cable...

I think you were mentally prepared for something pretty bad, so in the end anything would have sounded great.  :)

Glad to hear you got a perfect fit and that you're 'digging' the PF sound. I agree that piano on the PF IX has a very special quality to it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #132 of 11,644
Quoted from Hideki Togi/ Gagaku Musician
"i'm delighted to see that there is still a manufacturer in Japan that is willingly to defy the conventional thinking and produce the truly unique high-end audio product."

i'm totally agree on this, they don't follow the market, they create a new one.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #133 of 11,644
Interesting experience walking home from the coffee shop listening to the PF IX. The music had a difficult time competing with the traffic and cicadas. However in moments of relative calm, it was quite a lovely experience.

Might be my new favorite rig:

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #134 of 11,644
Quote:
Quoted from Hideki Togi/ Gagaku Musician
"i'm delighted to see that there is still a manufacturer in Japan that is willingly to defy the conventional thinking and produce the truly unique high-end audio product."

i'm totally agree on this, they don't follow the market, they create a new one.

Do you know if  the whole production is made in japan?
I've read that some entry level IEMs are made in Indonesia.....i hope my forthcoming FI-BA-SA worth the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back