Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #91 of 11,641
Where some IEMs are one-size-fits-all, it seems that the 1602s are one-size-fits-the-few. I guess that is consistent with the FAD 'out-there' ethos.

I have huge ears, both the canal and also the entire auricula. I am cautiously optimistic that the PFIX is going to slot right in and look a lot like on that model. I however will not look a lot like that model.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #92 of 11,641
I just had a late night, pre-bedtime listening session with my FI-BA-SS that went way overtime...

The FI-BA-SS has to be one of my most impulsive, fiscally-irresponsible purchases to date, but it is just truly amazing. It is somehow designed to bring out (for better or worse) the rawness of the music, as though it were to send the music back to an unprocessed state, but yet simultaneously contains that classic FAD midrange coloration at its core. It's the only earphone I'm able to 'enjoy' harshness with...

Of course, its purpose is very different from that of the Piano Forte line (which has dominated recent discussion). The FI-BA-SS is more practical (though not by much), yet ever more mercurial --- an earphone that can make mockery of both the music and music listener, but that does so in such an unbridled manner that it can be considered beautiful. I yearn to hear it unleashed on my music.

Alright, bedtime it is. I'm sure MF will enjoy reading this, though she already knows of my feelings on the SS...

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #93 of 11,641
Quote:
^  Hey, now I'm seriously confused -- already someone here called the 160Xs "earbuds", and I take it that's the most 'accurate' description for these phones. How can you have an earbud reach the 2nd bend of the ear?! Some in-ears with certain tips maybe, but earbuds? Buds? Are you saying I've been trashing Apple earbuds all these years on every forum under the sun because I simply never got a 2nd bend fit with them? I'm starting to feel really embarrassed.

Tried the PF VIII before, it doesnt really seal well and isolate the noise, and basically everytime when i push in more, the sound immediately went muffled and less open.
Hanging them like an earbud is what my option, so i conclude more on "Earbud" style compare with IEM. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #95 of 11,641
^  Only half-joking.

It's true that both 1601 & 1602 (aka Piano Fortes) provide virtually no isolation and, in that sense, they share that with earbuds. However, both 1601 & 1602 are in-ears because they have a nozzle that goes inside the ear canal. In the case of the 1601s, they come with a set of screw-on metal tips which, in effect, act like the end 'tip' of the 1602s, as well as with two types of silicone tips (in different sizes) which are placed on the 1601 metal nozzle (using a different screw-on metal tip meant to be used only with the silicone tips), just like you do with average in-ears. Earbuds do not have nozzles and eartips/sleeves.

The 1602 does not come with those extra tips, because the 1602 design includes a 'one-and-only permanent metal tip' which is part of the housing itself. BUT, you can even put a silicone tip on the 1602 nozzle (eg Sony hybrids).

If the 160Xs were true earbuds, I, personally, wouldn't be able to wear them because I've never been able to wear erbuds -- they always fall off my ears. I suppose you could say the 160X is a kind of hybrid phone in its design, or a fairly unique type of IEM.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #98 of 11,641
Hi guys, i'm looking for a new toy and  i get confused ...i've read  many posts but it's hard to choose the right one for me. 

For my daily use i got 2 audio technica, the  CKS 77 and the CKM 55: i'm really happy of them but i wish i had something new, so i'm really interested in FAD.

They are japanese too, i can't explain it but i think their products are manufactured with high quality (i do hope so!)  

What do you suggest between Heaven IV and the Adagio line?

MY budget is about 200 €  (250 $).

thanks for your advices

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #99 of 11,641
I completely agree about the visceral, raw quality of fi-ba-ss. I have unable to find anything that duplicates its ability to combine raw sound without being a negative so well.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #100 of 11,641
Quote:
Hi guys, i'm looking for a new toy and  i get confused ...i've read  many posts but it's hard to choose the right one for me. 

For my daily use i got 2 audio technica, the  CKS 77 and the CKM 55: i'm really happy of them but i wish i had something new, so i'm really interested in FAD.

They are japanese too, i can't explain it but i think their products are manufactured with high quality (i do hope so!)  

What do you suggest between Heaven IV and the Adagio line?

MY budget is about 200 €  (250 $).

thanks for your advices

Heaven IV provides more fun sounding, it has great coloration on mid, while Adagio IV seem more suitable for critical listener, Just my humble opinion.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #102 of 11,641
I have the Adagio III, V and Heaven IV. However, I have not logged any real listening hours with the V.
The Adagio III is a airy spacious earphone with great sub bass emphasis. The Heaven IV is highly reccomended and sounds great fairly neutral and great extension both ends and huge soundstage. My review should be up of it soon so I'll leave it there and I will get bk to you on the V.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #105 of 11,641
Finally got my Heaven S....direct from Japan (got a friend in Japan to get it for me) about 2 and half weeks back, been listening to it and I must say its absolutely beautiful....love the clarity and soundstage.....definitely worth the money and a great upgrade from my Beyerdynamic 101ie......I am actually a newbie in these IEM world....lol

Now looking at a DAP, am looking at the Rocco BA but someone at Hardwarezone mentioned that the Studio V would be better as well as the Sansa Clip+ which is a cheap and  good player...any recommendation / idea? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back