Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 13, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #9,781 of 11,643
This is really helpful, thank you. I didn’t know that Final supplied alternative tips. The adjustment to the signature that you’ve described sounds perfect for my tastes. I just ordered some of the E-type clear tips (without red axis) and am looking forward to trying them. Impressions to follow.

Please do follow up!

My E4000s that I love are locked up at work until next year on account of Covid. I hate boomy base like you (ie. most bluetooth speakers, IEMs, and consumer headphones that are tuned for pop/R&B/EDM). I can't decide if I want to go cheap for 6 months with E1000s or take the opportunity to upgrade to E5000s or something in the $300 range. If you like the E5000s with the clear tips I might upgrade to the E5000s.

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #9,782 of 11,643
Please do follow up!

My E4000s that I love are locked up at work until next year on account of Covid. I hate boomy base like you (ie. most bluetooth speakers, IEMs, and consumer headphones that are tuned for pop/R&B/EDM). I can't decide if I want to go cheap for 6 months with E1000s or take the opportunity to upgrade to E5000s or something in the $300 range. If you like the E5000s with the clear tips I might upgrade to the E5000s.
In my experience, changing e5000 tips with ortofon wide bore tips will reduce that mid bass bump. But the iem itself will sound a lil bit thinner than with using stock tips :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #9,783 of 11,643
E-type clear tips (without red axis) and am looking forward to trying them. Impressions to follow.

Fiy, clear tips and clear tips with red axis are identical in terms of sound impact, the difference is only the red axis. Using 1 and 1 is very handy to identify R in a snap :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #9,784 of 11,643
Thanks for the info! Looks like the E4000 is next on my list 🙂

This is really helpful, thank you. I didn’t know that Final supplied alternative tips. The adjustment to the signature that you’ve described sounds perfect for my tastes. I just ordered some of the E-type clear tips (without red axis) and am looking forward to trying them. Impressions to follow.
It is really unbelievable because they lift the E5000 to the next level. Afterwards the E5000 can be classified as TOTL only by using a piece of clear silicon...

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #9,785 of 11,643
Fiy, clear tips and clear tips with red axis are identical in terms of sound impact, the difference is only the red axis. Using 1 and 1 is very handy to identify R in a snap :)
Believe it or not - there is a hearable difference beetween clear with and without red axis - long time ago i found measurements.
The red stem is made from a harder material and alter the sound less compared to the full clear one.

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #9,786 of 11,643
Believe it or not - there is a hearable difference beetween clear with and without red axis - long time ago i found measurements.
The red stem is made from a harder material and alter the sound less compared to the full clear one.

Luckily to me, I dont perceive it. If I swap the red ones left-right I don't hear any difference. So I can enjoy the color convenience :D

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #9,788 of 11,643
So I posted a couple weeks ago about getting an E5000, and that I was disappointed. I can say now that the problem was absolutely with the stock cable, to the point where I suspect that it must actually be defective. I put on an ISN spc cable and it changed everything. Suddenly there is actual soundstage, separation, noticeably more treble detail, etc. Still very much a darker sound profile, but I now "get it" in terms of what people like about the E5000.

This is such a relief to me. I honestly was so disappointed previously, time to do some tip rolling and other tweaks.

Oh I also got the Final mmcx disconnect tool, utterly fantastic. Totally gets rid of my anxiety over swapping mmcx cables.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #9,789 of 11,643
Jul 14, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #9,790 of 11,643
Still very much a darker sound profile, but I now "get it" in terms of what people like about the E5000.

VERY glad to read this ! Welcome on board :D
You experience with the cable is extremely odd though, I would try and talk to final support to have them check it.

Oh I also got the Final mmcx disconnect tool, utterly fantastic. Totally gets rid of my anxiety over swapping mmcx cables.

Nice one eh? :wink:

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #9,791 of 11,643
Final E500 is an anomaly and practically a no-brainer if you're a gamer. Binaural tracks are rendered so incredibly well, and the only other IEM I can think of that does it better costs 6 times as much (Etymotic ER2XR).

The fact that you get $8/10 worth of tips with the purchase is mind-boggling. I have more than enough E-type tips but hey - can never have enough of a good thing.

I will post detailed impressions later, right now I'm enjoying Amber Rubarth albums again because of how good they sound on these. Mesmerizing.

IMG_8140.JPG

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #9,792 of 11,643
Final E500 is an anomaly and practically a no-brainer if you're a gamer. Binaural tracks are rendered so incredibly well, and the only other IEM I can think of that does it better costs 6 times as much (Etymotic ER2XR).

The fact that you get $8/10 worth of tips with the purchase is mind-boggling. I have more than enough E-type tips but hey - can never have enough of a good thing.

I will post detailed impressions later, right now I'm enjoying Amber Rubarth albums again because of how good they sound on these. Mesmerizing.

Indeed, I've never found something similar and this good at this price range. Actually the stage gets even better to me when I change to a wide-bore tip such as Azla SednaEarfit (normal ones), might give it a try.

My only complaint is the lack of strain relief for the cable when connecting it into the housing, it does not seem the most durable approach. I'd pay even $50 for an MMCX version of this model (with this tuning -- I've tried the E4000 but too much mid-bass for me).

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #9,793 of 11,643
My only complaint is the lack of strain relief for the cable when connecting it into the housing, it does not seem the most durable approach. I'd pay even $50 for an MMCX version of this model.

This always makes me smile :)
Many people - like you @Makahl in this case - don't feel "safe" with a non replaceable cable... and they would be ready to spend more than the cost of one, in this case more than two spare units to have a MMCX model. You do know this is totally irrational, right ? :D

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #9,794 of 11,643
This always makes me smile :)
Many people - like you @Makahl in this case - don't feel "safe" with a non replaceable cable... and they would be ready to spend more than the cost of one, in this case more than two spare units to have a MMCX model. You do know this is totally irrational, right ? :D

Well, in my case it translates to taxes + shipping every time I need to buy a new one instead of just replacing the cable. Very rational to me. :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #9,795 of 11,643
Well, in my case it translates to taxes + shipping every time I need to buy a new one instead of just replacing the cable. Very rational to me. :)

... you would not pay shipping+taxes on the spare cable? Besides, sometimes it's MMCX connectors on the IEM to be faulty (TIN T4? Anyone?).
Furthermore, should I have your concerns I would buy two IEMs already on day 1 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back